• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any Travis Bean Fans Here?

TM1

About 1974 I ran into my friend Marc McElwee. He had partnered up with Travis and they started making guitars. In January of `75 I ended up getting the third guitar they built (an Artist model) and the very first one to bear a serial number (#11). About 3 years later I got a black Standard, #1455. It has a coil tap switch. Both are MIA. The black one went missing in the Fall of 1986 and was taken in Corpus Christi. The Artist I sold to Bill Kaman with the understanding that if he sold it, I was to be given the first right of refusal. Well, that never happened and nobody knows where it is.
Anyway I ran into my friend Marc @ NAMM and they are, thru Kevin Burkett, building guitars again. Kevin's doing a limited run of 15 guitars exactly like the ones made in 1976. #1 was sold at NAMM so I bought #2. He does build Travis's "pan" style TBG's that Travis designed and built in 1997. Travis sadly passed away in 2011, but his vision lives on thru Kevin, Marc and Rita Bean, Travis's widow.
Don't know if their are any fans here on the LP Forum, but thought I'd throw it out here..

Pellman73

About 1974 I ran into my friend Marc McElwee. He had partnered up with Travis and they started making guitars. In January of `75 I ended up getting the third guitar they built (an Artist model) and the very first one to bear a serial number (#11). About 3 years later I got a black Standard, #1455. It has a coil tap switch. Both are MIA. The black one went missing in the Fall of 1986 and was taken in Corpus Christi. The Artist I sold to Bill Kaman with the understanding that if he sold it, I was to be given the first right of refusal. Well, that never happened and nobody knows where it is.
Anyway I ran into my friend Marc @ NAMM and they are, thru Kevin Burkett, building guitars again. Kevin's doing a limited run of 15 guitars exactly like the ones made in 1976. #1 was sold at NAMM so I bought #2. He does build Travis's "pan" style TBG's that Travis designed and built in 1997. Travis sadly passed away in 2011, but his vision lives on thru Kevin, Marc and Rita Bean, Travis's widow.
Don't know if their are any fans here on the LP Forum, but thought I'd throw it out here..

Id love to see some pics!

duaneflowers

No TB but I've got a Kramer DMZ-1000 which was my main squeeze for 20 some odd years...

AA00475Bassman

A friend owned one i played the guitar several times i liked the tone and how the guitar played . I will say i liked the Veleno better he traded away for the Bean .

Elmore

Didn't tapping wizard Stanley Jordan play one?

Dave P

They sure looked cool, but the necks felt so strange since they were always cold to the touch.

TM1

I think the T. Bean necks were one-piece aircraft grade aluminum.

Correct! They were machined Reynolds 6061-T6 aircraft aluminium. The inside of the neck was hollowed out in two section to reduce weight. The bridge & pickups were all mounted onto the neck.
Gary Kramer ended up being a partner with Marc & Travis for a while. After he left Gary started building his own version without violating Travis' Patent. I think after Kramer Guitars switched to making all wood guitars is when Gary left and sold his part to the other guys. I know Gary's "nickname" at Travis Bean wasn't really a nice name.
Velino's were cool. I've played a few but they were a different thing; bolt on neck, two piece body(a top & a back bolted together). Wood in the early to late `70's wasn't the same as what was used in the `50's & Sixties.. I think Velino wanted to make a guitar that was consistent in sound/tone & playability so he used machined aluminium.
Anyway, I'm really thrilled that I have one being built and should be ready soon..

sonar

Travis Bean's were always a rare bird around Chicago. I've played a couple of bad copies over the years, but never a real TB.

Electrical Guitar Company has been making TB style guitars for at least the past 10 years. I like these guitars for how well put together the product is, for the craftmanship needed to put an instrument like this together... basically for what they are, but the weight and skinny necks don't really work for me. I do like the fretboards and have a love/hate relationship with the brightness of the tone.

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

Amp360

It's funny you mention Chicago. The only other TB I had ever played was owned by a guy I knew from Chicago (Jimmy Ellison) who passed away about 20 years ago. He had a great guitar collection.

sonar

It's funny you mention Chicago. The only other TB I had ever played was owned by a guy I knew from Chicago (Jimmy Ellison) who passed away about 20 years ago. He had a great guitar collection.

A few local bands play/played TB's (Shellac, The Jesus Lizard) but I've never seen one in a store or collection.

LHakim

I'm a fan! My number one guitar for decades was a natural koa standard, ser. #1047, which I still own. A great sounding and playing guitar with that supernatural sustain they're known for.

duaneflowers

Finally added one to the ol' harem... they are quite nice... :jim

23319074_10213803500698298_7851266402760811440_n.jpg

Pellman73

Finally added one to the ol' harem... they are quite nice... :jim

23319074_10213803500698298_7851266402760811440_n.jpg

very stealthy post!

what are these things like to play?

I'm also guessing at outdoor gigs you don't want to stick your tongue on the neck like the kid in a Christmas Story

I triple dog dare ya

congrats!

duaneflowers

very stealthy post!

what are these things like to play?

I'm also guessing at outdoor gigs you don't want to stick your tongue on the neck like the kid in a Christmas Story

I triple dog dare ya

congrats!

They are fast... the fretboard on the Travis is ebony and the Kramer has ebonol (a synthetic ebony). They are more stratlike than lesterly, but the acoustics are totally different. The Travis will sustain for days (maybe even weeks) while the Kramer is not far behind. Both have a healthy dose of cryogenics (Seymour Duncan Silver Zephyrs in the Kramer and Markley Blue Steel Strings on the Travis). The Travis Bean pups are in a class all their own and I've yet to find anything even remotely similar. Both are heavy and both are way cool!!! The Kramer has maple strips in the back of the neck... I believe its only purpose is to prevent tongue stickage for those who have been dared before I. Other than that you really have to try one in order to pass judgment...

22181490_10213514880762980_1949526144309921980_o.jpg