Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member CBRmatt600's Avatar

Re: Project Refin: 1961 Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    This is a fun thread to watch!

Thanks! Glad to share the process. Aside from playing and collecting, this is my favorite hobby and I am grateful to get the opportunity to do some surgery on some beautiful vintage Gibsons. The fact that these will go on to be played for another 50 years is very satisfying.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior
    Way too many others to list...
    Follow my repairs and custom builds: http://instagram.com/mrbankercustom

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Amen!
    Otherwise known as Grant.

I've got all of my plugs in. Two for the aftermarket stop tail that was added, and one previous plug (made of plywood) that was added previously to fill the toggle hole that controlled the third pickup. I think it was quite a nice grain match.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Nice work. Satisfying.

Very nice! I love watching this kind of project- especially under the hands of someone who shows real care!

Pelham Blue would cover those plugs up so nicely. Just sayin

Thanks guys! And Pelham blue would make this job a hell of a lot easier that's for sure. The owner is pretty dead set on cherry though. I think Jumping@Shadows just did a killer Pelham Blue SG actually.

But since we are doing cherry, here's where she's at now- in the tanning bed. Since the new wood had to be level sanded, it lost a lot of that aged golden color and is more of a pinkish hue. I'll leave the fill areas exposed to UV light for several days and hopefully get some of that color back. Starting with uniform raw wood is much more authentic (and frankly less of a pain in the ass) than trying to hide them with an airbrush. Plus, when this wood does age naturally, if you shade with color these spots are going to end up darker than you intended. Better to start with a smooth canvas.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Oh don't use canvas! Jes' paint it.

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful work!

Am I to assume that you're filling the TP holes because it's getting a Vibrola?

Nice...

I just stumbled on thread and can't wait to see the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by djd100 View Post
    Beautiful work!

Am I to assume that you're filling the TP holes because it's getting a Vibrola?

Nice...

Oh yes, it's going back to stock and getting a sidepull.

One day in the tanning bed evened things out a good bit. It could go a little further though.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Excellent tanning!

Les Paul Forum Member Toecutter's Avatar

The wood restoration is looking good. One question, if you're putting the guitar back to stock and installing a sideways vibrola, why did you leave the large holes near the bridge pickup route? The original SG/Les Paul's had ABR-1 bridges.

60% darker with that short while in the booth- wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    The wood restoration is looking good. One question, if you're putting the guitar back to stock and installing a sideways vibrola, why did you leave the large holes near the bridge pickup route? The original SG/Les Paul's had ABR-1 bridges.

Good question. They are getting filled as well. At first we thought of reusing the newer style with a modified tailpiece but he decided to go full original ABR-1. I've got two more plugs to cut
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Yes, I love these threads too, been awhile since I've restored a fiddle. Very good work on this guitar. I'm concerned that the owner might not like seeing the repairs with a Cherry finish. The wood replacement is as good as it gets. I too like originality, but I hope he knows the limitations of what can be done with the finish
    Top carves are sexy

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MapleFlame View Post
    Yes, I love these threads too, been awhile since I've restored a fiddle. Very good work on this guitar. I'm concerned that the owner might not like seeing the repairs with a Cherry finish. The wood replacement is as good as it gets. I too like originality, but I hope he knows the limitations of what can be done with the finish
    Fortunately, the only witness line will by right in line with the pickup rings..with the guard and the rings installed it will cover a lot of the repair..it will be JUST that ditch between the pickups..just about the size of a humbucker cover.

And yes, yes it has Mister!

Been a while since we've seen any of your handywork..how'd that 'bird turn out?
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Well thank you very much. I have explained to him that it will certainly not be factory perfect, but as Kris said, between the pickup rings and the sidepull trem, a lot of this will ultimately be covered up. I am pretty handy with an airbrush so I can do a little more blending, but you're right, there are definitely limitations. So far his feedback is that it already looks better than he ever imagined it could and he's a real down to earth guy who is knowledgeable so I think he is going to be pleased with the end result.

This is may be a bit anal, and possibly not worth it, but I was thinking of mixing some of the sawdust from sanding this body with grain filler, and using that to fill the seams if all the plugs. Sanding that back, using a hobby knife to connect my grain lines across the seam, and then using my cherry grain filler to fill the body. I'm thinking that would prevent darker filler from highlighting the shape of the plugs.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Quote Originally Posted by CBRmatt600 View Post
    Well thank you very much. I have explained to him that it will certainly not be factory perfect, but as Kris said, between the pickup rings and the sidepull trem, a lot of this will ultimately be covered up. I am pretty handy with an airbrush so I can do a little more blending, but you're right, there are definitely limitations. So far his feedback is that it already looks better than he ever imagined it could and he's a real down to earth guy who is knowledgeable so I think he is going to be pleased with the end result.

This is may be a bit anal, and possibly not worth it, but I was thinking of mixing some of the sawdust from sanding this body with grain filler, and using that to fill the seams if all the plugs. Sanding that back, using a hobby knife to connect my grain lines across the seam, and then using my cherry grain filler to fill the body. I'm thinking that would prevent darker filler from highlighting the shape of the plugs.
    These repair patches will never be invisible, and as the lacquer cures and shrinks. the outlines of each patch will become even more visible. That is reality. I applaud your efforts here but you need to be realistic about the end result (which I more or less believe you are).

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    Fortunately, the only witness line will by right in line with the pickup rings..with the guard and the rings installed it will cover a lot of the repair..it will be JUST that ditch between the pickups..just about the size of a humbucker cover.

And yes, yes it has Mister!

Been a while since we've seen any of your handywork..how'd that 'bird turn out?
    It came out great, did have some shrink back on headstock revealing the repairs, but it was a very very bad break and previous repair. The bridge pickup really punches and as J45 always said, neck pickups are where they prevail. Good to hear from you. Yes this SG project is awesome
    Top carves are sexy

I'm sure it will look great. I was making sure you weren't going to get any flack in the after work. I had false premises when I had guitars worked on. I didnt realized the many things that go along with plug fills.
    Top carves are sexy

It came out great, did have some shrink back on headstock revealing the repairs, but it was a very very bad break and previous repair. The bridge pickup really punches and as J45 always said, neck pickups are where they prevail. Good to hear from you. Yes this SG project is awesome
    Right on!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    These repair patches will never be invisible, and as the lacquer cures and shrinks. the outlines of each patch will become even more visible. That is reality. I applaud your efforts here but you need to be realistic about the end result (which I more or less believe you are).

Youre definitely right, it is likely going to be in vain at the end of the day, but more for experimentation sake I want to see how invisible I can get them. But they will never be completely unnoticeable.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Playing around with a little color and shade, I've got this plug damn near invisible.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

You're doing a great job! Got any pics of the entire body as it is now?
    GuitarMikey

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarMikey View Post
    You're doing a great job! Got any pics of the entire body as it is now?

Thanks!

I don't have any full shots but I will get some tonight hopefully, assuming I can get out of work at a decent hour.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Very nice match
    Top carves are sexy

Coming along nicely.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

The suspense is killing me
    GuitarMikey

It will be a couple more weeks before I have anymore updates, I brought it up to someone who is a refret and setup master to get rid of the old frets and install the new bridge and tail piece before I move on to the final stages of finishing. Here is a mockup I did with the new plastic, and of the headstock after a little filler and sealer.

1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Great work. That "ring" will always be visible but the matching on the plug inside is excellent. The center block is very well executed.

Going great. What sanding sealer have you used?

I concur with Grant!

I'd just use double thumbwheels and forget all about those rings!

Center will be damn near invisible when the color goes on!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Thanks! I use Behlen's, very lightly. I grain fill and level enough that I typically don't need very much. I use Behlen nitro as well as well. Not many options around these days, I wish someone would come up with a formula that has a lot less platicizers in it.

And we are doing double thumbwheels, so those bridge rings won't be noticeable at all. I'll do my best to hide the rings on the tail plugs with a little airbrush shading, but like you said, if this is done in the correct color they will be near impossible to hide. That's alright, I'm really pleased with how this is shaping up compared to where it was at.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Thanks! I use Behlen's, very lightly. I grain fill and level enough that I typically don't need very much. I use Behlen nitro as well as well. Not many options around these days, I wish someone would come up with a formula that has a lot less platicizers in it.

And we are doing double thumbwheels, so those bridge rings won't be noticeable at all. I'll do my best to hide the rings on the tail plugs with a little airbrush shading, but like you said, if this is done in the correct color they will be near impossible to hide. That's alright, I'm really pleased with how this is shaping up compared to where it was at.
    Any updates Matt?
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Looks f'ing GREAT!

nice work

Thanks!

No updates yet unfortunately. The owner is coming by tomorrow to check out a Burst that will be at the house, so I should have an idea then. The luthier he has do his fretwork is a real small one man shop in North Georgia and I think he is a little backed up.
    1953 Les Paul Custom
    1957 Les Paul Junior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12