• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 ES-345 - solution

BMF Effects

So mine ain't a first batch? Uhg, I guess it'll never be worth a massive tone nostalgia upcharge in 20 years, I'll just have to settle using my lowly second batcher :salude

You’re still in the first ten!

This pedal is so niche, I never anticipated selling any.

brandtkronholm

I received my ES-Box built by BMF Effects last week.

This is THE solution to the complications of using a stereo guitar with a single input amp. It's as easy as pie to use. You may keep your ES-345s, ES-355s, or any other stereo guitar fully original and use the same amp that you use with your Les Paul, ES-335 etc. In fact, switching from Stereo to mono guitars is effortless.

The box is small, heavy and very sturdy! It has a battery/DC but also works perfectly well passively if you run out of battery power!

I encourage everyone with a stereo Gibson to give this box a whirl! The price is ~$180.

Again, this is THE solution.

Here's the picture of the box and some additional info posted by deytookerjaabs earlier in this same thread.

Nothing too gnarly about the cosmetics:

3gqwV4Tl.jpg

It was explained to me that it "fools the guitar into thinking the signal is stereo" so you don't get certain bits of frequency summing/cancelling. Scott can explain it better than I if you shoot him an email, nice guy, quick shipping, great service, etc. I've used it again the past few days and oh I'm so glad I bought it, haha. The mono/stereo switch is for if you're plugging in the stereo guitar with TRS cable then if you want to switch to a regular guitar you can.

zoommutt

I'll write it here so it might help other people. I have three questions about this pedal. If you guys can't help I'll write Scott.

1. How do you open the box to get to the battery? I tried the 4 screws on side. I don't want to break it. Can any 9 volt power supply work? Scott says Boss PSA-120 or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. Can I get these at GC?

2. I see he wants a stereo /TRS cable for a guitar with a stereo output jack. My Freddie King guitar came with a cable with 2 jacks to go into the box which has one input hole. One gray jack says treble and the white jack says rhythm. I can't use a regular cable can I?

3. Can't think of the other question right now LOL. Need breakfast.

I hope these aren't stupid questions. I haven't used a pedal in years. Thanks.

deytookerjaabs

I'll write it here so it might help other people. I have three questions about this pedal. If you guys can't help I'll write Scott.

1. How do you open the box to get to the battery? I tried the 4 screws on side. I don't want to break it. Can any 9 volt power supply work? Scott says Boss PSA-120 or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. Can I get these at GC?

2. I see he wants a stereo /TRS cable for a guitar with a stereo output jack. My Freddie King guitar came with a cable with 2 jacks to go into the box which has one input hole. One gray jack says treble and the white jack says rhythm. I can't use a regular cable can I?

Yeah, you just take the screws out, it's new housing so you might have to yank a bit to get it apart as it's a tight fit. Anything that provides 9v should work but I just stick with the battery. That cable you have is for hooking up two amps/channels/etc, fun to experiment but to use the ES box you want a TRS to TRS cable. I pulled the trigger on this sucker for $16 https://reverb.com/item/18697325-20-ft-trs-cable-1-4-in-6-35mm-stereo-audio-cord-with-amphenol-plugs

French Toast usually does the trick.

zoommutt

Yeah, you just take the screws out, it's new housing so you might have to yank a bit to get it apart as it's a tight fit. Anything that provides 9v should work but I just stick with the battery. That cable you have is for hooking up two amps/channels/etc, fun to experiment but to use the ES box you want a TRS to TRS cable. I pulled the trigger on this sucker for $16 https://reverb.com/item/18697325-20-ft-trs-cable-1-4-in-6-35mm-stereo-audio-cord-with-amphenol-plugs

French Toast usually does the trick.

Thanks about the cable. Does GC carry it? I thought it was only the 4 screws, but it is tight. I'll try again. I bet Scott is a busy guy so thanks again.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Does anyone make a TRS cable wit a "L"/90 degree jack?

...I should really post a new picture of my 1959 ES-345. (It's in my avatar.)

To you later point...duh!

To your question...I was wondering the same exact thing. I suppose it'd be easy if you want to solder up your own cables. I think the cable I linked was made by the fella who sells them on reverb, he warranties them for two years. If someone messaged him about doing a right angle version ya might have some success.

Thanks about the cable. Does GC carry it? I thought it was only the 4 screws, but it is tight. I'll try again. I bet Scott is a busy guy so thanks again.

No, pretty sure that cable is made by the seller. But, in the "Pro Audio" section of GC they carry TRS to TRS cables, usually. Yet for one that's of even modest quality enough for some guitar use they start at $35+ or more IIRC, kind of a rip off...unless you buy something else there then convince them to throw it in as an accessory. Still, I'd get a cable made for guitar before trying to use a patch/studio cable for guitar use.

BMF Effects

Hey guys, I was in the sticks for a couple of days.

1) Undo the four side screws and remove the bottom portion of the enclosure. It can be tight but they're 18ga steel so you'd really have to go a long way to break it.

2) You do need a TRS cable.

3) I'm a Fruity Pebbles kind of guy.

I can also make you a cable with one straight and one 90 degree end (or both 90 degree). Price is based on length and ends, shoot me an email if you need one.