NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1960 ES-345 - solution

Hello!

I own an all original '60 ES-345. I had planned on having the circuit changed to a 335 type but have changed my mind. I know that you can purchase stereo cables that come out into two mono 1/4' but what I am looking for is a simple box with a 1/4" stereo input on one side and a mono 1/4' output on the other. Do these exist? I'm not an electronics engineer but this seems to be a simple request. Or am I really wrong. Thank you for your assistance!
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    1960 LP Melody Maker (Single Cut)
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

http://www.gundryguitar.com

Re: 1960 ES-345 - solution

I'd think using a "box" instead of a "Y" cable (That steps down both signals into 1 out signal), might , lead to some tone loss ? or difference . I hear differences when ever I use a "pedal" and prefer having the guitar go straight into the amp in general ....

So a 2 -in /1- out , box is what your looking for ???

If you use an active box, like the Whirlwind A/B box in reverse, you will not have tone loss. (Not that you would have it anyway, when summing the two signals.) In fact, I think it sounds better than my stereo to mono cable.

I'm sure you can find one cheaper on eBay or Reverb.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Whirlwin...74115041135.gc

I listened to your responses, and I thank you all for your time, but I was surprised that nobody came back with a "Yes Iv'e done this" or a "No, don't do that" type of answer. So what's better then jump in with two feet and try? I purchased a blank pedal enclosure and a stereo and a mono jack. Installed the jacks, wired the ground to ground and spliced the two hots together with a pigtail to the mono hot and.....ZANGO...problem solved. So simple even an idiot like me could make it. Now I can use any stereo cable into the box, out with mono and into my pedal board. Absolutely NO tone degradation. The more I play this guitar the more I am actually loving the varitone. So many amazing sounds from one guitar. With shipping a $9 fix. Or I will make anyone one for $145.00!! LOL So if you own a stereo guitar and wanna play simple then bake one up and jam on.
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

I think this solution is pretty awesome and makes a lot of sense. Changing from a stereo to a mono guitar is no problem at all - the mono guitar will sound just fine with the stereo cable.

Other solutions are invasive; either the guitar is modified or (as in my solution) the amp is modified.
    This new solution is completely non-invasive. I'm actually beginning to think that this is a better solution than what I came up with. However, I like having two wah-pedals; one for each pickup on the 345!

My solution was to modify my single-input amps to behave just like the double inputs on older Fender amps.
    I discuss it in the following post: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...t=1996+Santana

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

gavindale, is the in between position out of phase? I used to have an old 355 and the magnet had been flipped in one pickup to address that issue.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

When using Fender Super Reverb amp, use a "Y" cable one end into each channel (instead of both inputs of same channel), it solves the OOP issue in ES stereo guitars. In most Black face and silver face amps with Reverb, the addition of the reverb makes the 2 channels OOP with each other. So in conjunction with a stereo ES guitar, both being OOP, creates an "in phase" end result.
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Inadvertently representing the USA in France and the UK

I think the box solution is a good one, better than the normal Y cable giving you two cables hanging off the guitar. And you can just run the two output cables to two amps, or, as Mars suggested, to the two channels on a BF amp.

It's a purely mechanical connection, so no tone loss if soldered properly.

Latestarter, it retains the original out of phase middle position as is normal for this guitar. I dig it. It's nowhere near as overpowering as say a Fender circuit and it adds just another tone option along with the Varitone.

I've also gotten lazy and just leave the box in line and use the stereo cable for all of my guitars. No tone or any other issues.

As far as using a Fender amp with a "Y" cable that's great if you don't want to engage or use a normal pedalboard and you own an amp that has 2 inputs. I use my board all of the time. My main amp is a "Little Walter" VG-50 KT-88 based amp. No onboard reverb and a VERY clean amp. Therefore I like to add some reverb, sometimes a little clean boost and/or a overdrive. My #2 amp is a Carr "Rambler". A one input amp. A "Y' cable would not work with either of these options and it is why I built my box. It's whatever floats your preverbal boat my friends! I'm just offering a cheap, non-invasive, pure tone alternative.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love!
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

thanks for the follow up!
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: the "OOP issue"..... I for one have no issue with the OOP pickups. B.B. King used that position quite a bit. The 'Greenie' 'burst was made to do that. I consider OOP pickups a choice rather than an issue. As for cables....I have one of each...stereo and stereo to mono for my '66 ES-345TDC.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gavindale View Post
    Latestarter, it retains the original out of phase middle position as is normal for this guitar. I dig it. It's nowhere near as overpowering as say a Fender circuit and it adds just another tone option along with the Varitone.

I've also gotten lazy and just leave the box in line and use the stereo cable for all of my guitars. No tone or any other issues.

As far as using a Fender amp with a "Y" cable that's great if you don't want to engage or use a normal pedalboard and you own an amp that has 2 inputs. I use my board all of the time. My main amp is a "Little Walter" VG-50 KT-88 based amp. No onboard reverb and a VERY clean amp. Therefore I like to add some reverb, sometimes a little clean boost and/or a overdrive. My #2 amp is a Carr "Rambler". A one input amp. A "Y' cable would not work with either of these options and it is why I built my box. It's whatever floats your preverbal boat my friends! I'm just offering a cheap, non-invasive, pure tone alternative.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love!
    I'm a little late from the party but this is probably one of the more helpful threads I've found regarding 345s and running stereo to an amp.

I recently got a 1967 ES 345 at a pawn shop. I have zero experience with stereo guitars and neither did the guys at the pawn shop. So I got a killer deal on a guitar that didn't seem to have any working pickups. I got it home and only got the neck pickup to work. Next day I sent it to get refretted and have the pups looked at. I was then briefly schooled on stereo guitars.

So I'm currently pondering if I want to wire it mono or keep it stereo. I won't touch the varitone either way. The biggest turn off of stereo is running pedals. If I understand it correctly the pedals will only work to the corresponding pup that the effects are running on.

This box idea seems to be the best solution.

Here is my plan.

Stereo 1/4 TRS chord that splits to a y..

Run it to the box.

From the box I can mono through my 3-4 pedals then to my amp

This should not result in any volume or tone degradation correct?

Last, where the hell do you guys get the chord?!

Thirteenluck, go back and re-read my post that describes my magic box. The whole idea is that you do not need to use a "Y" cable. A regular stereo 1/4" cable from guitar to box and then a normal 1/4" instrument cable from box to pedalboard or amp input. Your guitar will function fully with all three pickup positions.

And don't just ignore your varitone. Why not play with every tone an instrument can provide?

If you need help or clarification just pm me or post here. Glad to help.
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gavindale View Post
    Thirteenluck, go back and re-read my post that describes my magic box. The whole idea is that you do not need to use a "Y" cable. A regular stereo 1/4" cable from guitar to box and then a normal 1/4" instrument cable from box to pedalboard or amp input. Your guitar will function fully with all three pickup positions.

And don't just ignore your varitone. Why not play with every tone an instrument can provide?

If you need help or clarification just pm me or post here. Glad to help.
    Thanks for the response! I should have read you post more carefully. You're box idea is really great and that way I can leave the guitar the way it is. Even better it makes using a pedals way easier.

i didn't convey my intent on the varitone. I was meaning that I wouldn't alter it either way.

I'm actually very excited about using it.

Now, is a product on the market that does what your box does? I don't have any electrical/soldering tools experience.

Les Paul Forum Member

I've been playing one since June,1967 when I bought mine new. As I noted, I keep a stereo to a 'Y' for stereo applications, and I keep a stereo-to-mono cable for monophonic applications. No box needed.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I've been playing one since June,1967 when I bought mine new. As I noted, I keep a stereo to a 'Y' for stereo applications, and I keep a stereo-to-mono cable for monophonic applications. No box needed.

Like I said I'm brand new to the stereo guitar thing, so forgive any dumb thing I might say.

There is so much contrary info regarding the 345. I thought that just going with a stereo to mono chord had a detrimental impact on both tone and volume from the guitar. Hence giving the guitar and amp pairing a very thin and anemic sound. Is you experienced different from this ?

If it's that easy I'll just order a couple different cords.

Thirteenluck, pm me.
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteenluck View Post
    ...I thought that just going with a stereo to mono chord had a detrimental impact on both tone and volume from the guitar. Hence giving the guitar and amp pairing a very thin and anemic sound...
    You are correct. The stereo to mono cable (mix-down cable) screws everything up.
    Gavindale's solution is excellent.

Les Paul Forum Member

IF there is a loss that occurs when joining the two stereo leads into a mono 1/4" plug, then there will be the same loss when joining the two stereo leads at a 1/4" MONO JACK inside that box. What can be the difference? Explanations welcome....
    There is only one thing that can change, and that same variable can exist when plugging cables into that box......and most people would not believe that variable unless they sat with an open mind/ears and listened to the difference.
    Last edited by Wally; 04-29-17 at 10:46 AM.

Hi Wally. I'm didn't start this post to infer that whatever works for you is incorrect or inferior in any way. I looked very long and hard on the internet to find a cable that you are describing and could not find one anywhere. By that I mean a TRS cable with a 1/4" plug on one end and a TR mono 1/4" on the other. I have no idea where you found yours so maybe you would want to share. I also could not find any "Y" patch that went 2 mono inputs that exited as a single mono output. As far as I know they don't exist but if you have sources please share. It was an inability to find anything you describe as owning that made me do what I did. I am not doubting their existence our your method but I'm just explaining that I couldn't find anything on the interweb that came close with the exception of a couple that for some reason went 1/4" stereo or mono on one end that changed to the opposite but they all had 1/8" on the other end. Again, all I'm offering is a suggestion to whomever wishes to use it because I couldn't find anyone else providing what I built for my own use. I never claimed it was perfect or complicated in fact I felt I went the other way by being open and straightforward with my description. I love the LPF for all of the kindness and information that others have shared with me over the last 15+ years I've hung around here and simply am trying to give back.

Peace and love....peace and love!
    1960 ES-345
    1960 LP Junior
    '57 RI Goldtop
    '57 RI Black Beauty
    '60 Special RI
    EDS-1275
    Les Paul LTD Edition
    ES-335, 135, 135, 137
    Corvus
    Inverted V
    '78, '79 The Paul
    J-160-E
    1965 Skylark
    1965 Apollo

Les Paul Forum Member

Gavin, I have been making my own cables for almost 50 years. I use Belden cable.
    My response was not necessarily to you because I have no problem with your box except I find it superfluous. My response was to the two comments about how a stereo to mono cable was detrimental to tone while a box with a stereo jack on one side and a mono on the other side would 'solve' the problem. My point is that IF a stereo to mono wiring of a cable has an effect on the tone then there a stereo to mono wiring inside of a box would be no different...because the wiring is the same...the two pickup leads are joined at the tip connection of a mono jack or mono plug depending on whether one is wiring a box or a cable. There is no difference.
    Fwiw, the last modern Gibson stereo wired guitars I have worked on....2 x B.B. Kings and a Lucille...had two output jacks with very elaborate wiring.
    Thanks to all for the thread.... I pulled my 345 out the other day just because of this thread. What a guitar! Lot of sounds in there. I especially like to set the Super Champs about 8 feet apart to achieve a truly WIDE soundstage.

[QUOTE=gavindale;2749695]I purchased a blank pedal enclosure and a stereo and a mono jack. Installed the jacks, wired the ground to ground and spliced the two hots together with a pigtail to the mono hot and.....ZANGO...problem solved.

Hello Gavindale,
    I have purchased an ES 345 Stereo model guitar that will arrive at the end of the week. I am anticipating needing a similar magic box (Stereo to Mono) like you made. (Crazy that this is the only forum online that I could find through searches, that supported a reasonable workaround for ES345 Stereo guitars. All other options were quite expensive and a bit baffling.)

I understand connecting the grounds from the stereo input socket to the mono output socket in the box, but I want to make sure I get it right on the first attempt. Would you mind clarifying your creation for me? When you stated that "you spliced the two hots together", were you referring to the "tip" and "ring" portions of the input socket? Would you also confirm that you used a Stereo TRS connector 1/4" socket?

Les Paul Forum Member

Denk, in building that box you take the leads from the tip/ring of the stereo jack in the box to the tip connection on the mono jack. This is exactly what you would do IF you had a stereo cord to which you wished to attach a mono jack on the other end. The difference is that with a stereo-to-mono cord, you have only two jacks. IN the box arrangement, you will have two cables with four jacks and also two jacks in side the box....more possibilities of things to go wrong, ime. IT is also exactly the same thing you would achieve with a y plug...into which the two stereo leads would plug with a mono out plug for the amp on the other side. That Y plug will not withstand much abuse, though.
    Good luck with the box....

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Denk, in building that box you take the leads from the tip/ring of the stereo jack in the box to the tip connection on the mono jack. This is exactly what you would do IF you had a stereo cord to which you wished to attach a mono jack on the other end. The difference is that with a stereo-to-mono cord, you have only two jacks. IN the box arrangement, you will have two cables with four jacks and also two jacks in side the box....more possibilities of things to go wrong, ime. IT is also exactly the same thing you would achieve with a y plug...into which the two stereo leads would plug with a mono out plug for the amp on the other side. That Y plug will not withstand much abuse, though.
    Good luck with the box....
    Wally,
    Appreciate the info on the cable option. From other forums it sounded like the stereo cable to Y monos was an issue. Perhaps I misread it.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Les Paul Forum Member

As I have noted in this thread....the only difference between a stereo cable wired with both leads to the tip of a mono cable and the box that Gavin built is that there are more cables, jacks and plugs to fail. the actual results are the same....the two leads from the pickups are being joined at one mono jack/plug with both leads connected to one tip....and both grounds to one ground ring connection.
    IF there is a tone problem with one scenario, that problem will exist in the other scenario.
    I have tow cables I built for my 1966 ES-345TDC. One is a true stereo with two mono outputs. The other, which I have described here, is exactly like that Pro Audio cable linked above except that mine is built with Belden cable.
    I have had such a cable for many, many years.
    That said, nothing sounds like one of these guitars run in a truly stereo situation with each pickup run to one of two identical amps separated by a minimum of 6 feet.
    Last edited by Wally; 01-16-18 at 07:19 PM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Yank the varitone and thank me later.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    nah....I would rather buy an ES-335 and put the pickups out of phase. I like the Varitone.

[QUOTE=Wally;2784926]

Wally,
    Appreciate the further clarification. I guess I was thinking that taking the stereo down to mono was in some way going to cause 'phase cancelling' issues with the audio output. On another note, I have two amps and plan to run the ES 345 in stereo most of the time. My other concern was trying to figure out how to leverage my pedal board. Only half my pedals are stereo, but compression, trem, distortion are mono. Thus the reason for the stereo to mono box or cable questions when leveraging mono effect pedals. I had read so many comments over the years that seemed like the ES 345 stereo models required expensive splitters or ABY boxes with ways to reverse the phase, etc. Glad that is not the case.

Willko,
    Thank you for the link to the cable with the stereo (balanced) to mono (unbalanced) connectors. Very helpful. I should have been searching on the words balanced to unbalanced instead of stereo to mono.

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    CDaughtry,
    In this particular case, I am looking forward to stereo and varitone as something unique and different. I already have an ES 335 and an ES 345 mono (varitone removed by previous owner). The varitone was very heavy, so the ES 345 mono is very light weight. Once I have tried the new ES 345 Stereo model for a while, I will report on my findings whether to keep it or remove it. At this point, wanting to try it as originally intended, but time will tell.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by denk View Post
    Willko,
    Thank you for the link to the cable with the stereo (balanced) to mono (unbalanced) connectors. Very helpful. I should have been searching on the words balanced to unbalanced instead of stereo to mono.
    More common these days is "TRS" Tip Ring Sleeve (stereo a common application) or "TS" Tip Sleeve. They aren't always stereo is why the change in nomenclature. TRS allows for In/Out "Inserts" on PA audio channels.

Les Paul Forum Member

Yanked the Varitone from my 1959 345, actually Hogy of Komet fame did the work.

Unwilling to carry two amps. Stereo to mono cables suck tone as does the Varitone even with the dial switched to bypass. Some may like the honkiness, cocked wah tonality...so they can leave their 345s as is.

Mine now weighs a pound + lighter, is more resonant than before due to space created by removal of circuitry and the double whites sound sweet, open and powerful.

Hogy can reinstall it if I ever tire of it. Can't see this one leaving me.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 57gold View Post
    Yanked the Varitone from my 1959 345, actually Hogy of Komet fame did the work.

Unwilling to carry two amps. Stereo to mono cables suck tone as does the Varitone even with the dial switched to bypass. Some may like the honkiness, cocked wah tonality...so they can leave their 345s as is.

Mine now weighs a pound + lighter, is more resonant than before due to space created by removal of circuitry and the double whites sound sweet, open and powerful.

Hogy can reinstall it if I ever tire of it. Can't see this one leaving me.

Very sharp guitar you have there, 57Gold.

Les Paul Forum Member

Yessir señor Wally, she shore is purty!

Her fraternal twins are also lookers.

The 355 is still burdened with the Varitone choking them double whites. Haven't taken it out cause I'm thinking of selling her.

Les Paul Forum Member

So i just recently picked up a stereo 1960 345 tdc. And ive tried a stereo to mono cable. Sucked tone bad, tried a stereo cable into a y end and thw controls were still weird and tone was sucked. My only thought is to get two amps, try running a y adaptor to both sides of my super reverb, or have glaser rip put the varitone. Love the guitar, but its disheartening to hear the tone suck.

Idk what to do! Help. I dont believe in the box idea, or just a canle conversion.

Inadvertently representing the USA in France and the UK

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDox View Post
    So i just recently picked up a stereo 1960 345 tdc. And ive tried a stereo to mono cable. Sucked tone bad, tried a stereo cable into a y end and thw controls were still weird and tone was sucked. My only thought is to get two amps, try running a y adaptor to both sides of my super reverb, or have glaser rip put the varitone. Love the guitar, but its disheartening to hear the tone suck.

Idk what to do! Help. I dont believe in the box idea, or just a canle conversion.
    Blackface or silverface Fenders are out-of-phase between the two channels - you could do what you're trying on a tweed, but not a Super Reverb.

Stereo to mono will cause tone suck, as you found. You're essentially creating a stereo-to-mono mixer without the resistor network mixing consoles use.

Check that your stereo-to-Y isn't a headphone (three-conductor to three-conductor) splitter, just to make sure. If it is stereo to two x mono, you could try opening up the cable and swapping the two hot leads so you'd have the outputs from the guitar out-of-phase, then you might be able to use it in two channels of the SR.

A nice 345 is one of the few guitars that still gets me wanting. But if I got one, the Varitone would come out immediately. Some people love them, but for everybody else...

Les Paul Forum Member

Doc, the channels in your SR are out of phase...as are the pickups in that 345...more than likely. So, if you do run one pickup to one channel, the result will be in phase...with the Normal channel having a bit less gain. You could have the effects in the amp applied to the Normal channel. This would put the channels in phase and equal in gain structure. The guitar would then yield that OOP sound in the middle toggle selector position. The magic of a 345/355 really appears when running through two identical amps set a few feet apart.....ime....

Les Paul Forum Member

ugh, I feel like im in sucha pickle. Im thinking of just getting another deluxe reverb and running two amps. I am going to get a true stereo Y cable without an adaptor and just see what i can do. it sucks that the SR and other fenders are out of phase. I just dont know exactly what to do. Getting a tweed amp (which I want) isnt in the cards for a while. and I dont wanna go back to marshalls because I want the fender reverb. (no pedals are as good as fender reverb, and the reverb units suck too much tone for me).

I wonder if its worth trying to mod the SR and make them inphase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast