• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 ES-345 - solution

gavindale

Hello!

I own an all original '60 ES-345. I had planned on having the circuit changed to a 335 type but have changed my mind. I know that you can purchase stereo cables that come out into two mono 1/4' but what I am looking for is a simple box with a 1/4" stereo input on one side and a mono 1/4' output on the other. Do these exist? I'm not an electronics engineer but this seems to be a simple request. Or am I really wrong. Thank you for your assistance!

1jamman

I'd think using a "box" instead of a "Y" cable (That steps down both signals into 1 out signal), might , lead to some tone loss ? or difference . I hear differences when ever I use a "pedal" and prefer having the guitar go straight into the amp in general ....

So a 2 -in /1- out , box is what your looking for ??? :hmm

JJ Blair

If you use an active box, like the Whirlwind A/B box in reverse, you will not have tone loss. (Not that you would have it anyway, when summing the two signals.) In fact, I think it sounds better than my stereo to mono cable.

gavindale

I listened to your responses, and I thank you all for your time, but I was surprised that nobody came back with a "Yes Iv'e done this" or a "No, don't do that" type of answer. So what's better then jump in with two feet and try? I purchased a blank pedal enclosure and a stereo and a mono jack. Installed the jacks, wired the ground to ground and spliced the two hots together with a pigtail to the mono hot and.....ZANGO...problem solved. So simple even an idiot like me could make it. Now I can use any stereo cable into the box, out with mono and into my pedal board. Absolutely NO tone degradation. The more I play this guitar the more I am actually loving the varitone. So many amazing sounds from one guitar. With shipping a $9 fix. Or I will make anyone one for $145.00!! LOL So if you own a stereo guitar and wanna play simple then bake one up and jam on.

brandtkronholm

I think this solution is pretty awesome and makes a lot of sense. Changing from a stereo to a mono guitar is no problem at all - the mono guitar will sound just fine with the stereo cable.

Other solutions are invasive; either the guitar is modified or (as in my solution) the amp is modified.
This new solution is completely non-invasive. I'm actually beginning to think that this is a better solution than what I came up with. However, I like having two wah-pedals; one for each pickup on the 345! :)

My solution was to modify my single-input amps to behave just like the double inputs on older Fender amps.
I discuss it in the following post: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?173138-Two-Photos-of-My-Three-Electrics-(Some-Vintage-Content)-BIG-PIC&highlight=1996+Santana

latestarter

gavindale, is the in between position out of phase? I used to have an old 355 and the magnet had been flipped in one pickup to address that issue.

Mars Hall

When using Fender Super Reverb amp, use a "Y" cable one end into each channel (instead of both inputs of same channel), it solves the OOP issue in ES stereo guitars. In most Black face and silver face amps with Reverb, the addition of the reverb makes the 2 channels OOP with each other. So in conjunction with a stereo ES guitar, both being OOP, creates an "in phase" end result.

tooold

I think the box solution is a good one, better than the normal Y cable giving you two cables hanging off the guitar. :salude And you can just run the two output cables to two amps, or, as Mars suggested, to the two channels on a BF amp.

It's a purely mechanical connection, so no tone loss if soldered properly.

gavindale

Latestarter, it retains the original out of phase middle position as is normal for this guitar. I dig it. It's nowhere near as overpowering as say a Fender circuit and it adds just another tone option along with the Varitone.

I've also gotten lazy and just leave the box in line and use the stereo cable for all of my guitars. No tone or any other issues.

As far as using a Fender amp with a "Y" cable that's great if you don't want to engage or use a normal pedalboard and you own an amp that has 2 inputs. I use my board all of the time. My main amp is a "Little Walter" VG-50 KT-88 based amp. No onboard reverb and a VERY clean amp. Therefore I like to add some reverb, sometimes a little clean boost and/or a overdrive. My #2 amp is a Carr "Rambler". A one input amp. A "Y' cable would not work with either of these options and it is why I built my box. It's whatever floats your preverbal boat my friends! :peace2 I'm just offering a cheap, non-invasive, pure tone alternative.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love!

Wally

Re: the "OOP issue"..... I for one have no issue with the OOP pickups. B.B. King used that position quite a bit. The 'Greenie' 'burst was made to do that. I consider OOP pickups a choice rather than an issue. As for cables....I have one of each...stereo and stereo to mono for my '66 ES-345TDC.

Thirteenluck

Latestarter, it retains the original out of phase middle position as is normal for this guitar. I dig it. It's nowhere near as overpowering as say a Fender circuit and it adds just another tone option along with the Varitone.

I've also gotten lazy and just leave the box in line and use the stereo cable for all of my guitars. No tone or any other issues.

As far as using a Fender amp with a "Y" cable that's great if you don't want to engage or use a normal pedalboard and you own an amp that has 2 inputs. I use my board all of the time. My main amp is a "Little Walter" VG-50 KT-88 based amp. No onboard reverb and a VERY clean amp. Therefore I like to add some reverb, sometimes a little clean boost and/or a overdrive. My #2 amp is a Carr "Rambler". A one input amp. A "Y' cable would not work with either of these options and it is why I built my box. It's whatever floats your preverbal boat my friends! :peace2 I'm just offering a cheap, non-invasive, pure tone alternative.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love!

I'm a little late from the party but this is probably one of the more helpful threads I've found regarding 345s and running stereo to an amp.

I recently got a 1967 ES 345 at a pawn shop. I have zero experience with stereo guitars and neither did the guys at the pawn shop. So I got a killer deal on a guitar that didn't seem to have any working pickups. I got it home and only got the neck pickup to work. Next day I sent it to get refretted and have the pups looked at. I was then briefly schooled on stereo guitars.

So I'm currently pondering if I want to wire it mono or keep it stereo. I won't touch the varitone either way. The biggest turn off of stereo is running pedals. If I understand it correctly the pedals will only work to the corresponding pup that the effects are running on.

This box idea seems to be the best solution.

Here is my plan.

Stereo 1/4 TRS chord that splits to a y..

Run it to the box.

From the box I can mono through my 3-4 pedals then to my amp

This should not result in any volume or tone degradation correct?

Last, where the hell do you guys get the chord?!

gavindale

Thirteenluck, go back and re-read my post that describes my magic box. The whole idea is that you do not need to use a "Y" cable. A regular stereo 1/4" cable from guitar to box and then a normal 1/4" instrument cable from box to pedalboard or amp input. Your guitar will function fully with all three pickup positions.

And don't just ignore your varitone. Why not play with every tone an instrument can provide?

If you need help or clarification just pm me or post here. Glad to help.

Thirteenluck

Thirteenluck, go back and re-read my post that describes my magic box. The whole idea is that you do not need to use a "Y" cable. A regular stereo 1/4" cable from guitar to box and then a normal 1/4" instrument cable from box to pedalboard or amp input. Your guitar will function fully with all three pickup positions.

And don't just ignore your varitone. Why not play with every tone an instrument can provide?

If you need help or clarification just pm me or post here. Glad to help.

Thanks for the response! I should have read you post more carefully. You're box idea is really great and that way I can leave the guitar the way it is. Even better it makes using a pedals way easier.

i didn't convey my intent on the varitone. I was meaning that I wouldn't alter it either way.

I'm actually very excited about using it.

Now, is a product on the market that does what your box does? I don't have any electrical/soldering tools experience.

Wally

I've been playing one since June,1967 when I bought mine new. As I noted, I keep a stereo to a 'Y' for stereo applications, and I keep a stereo-to-mono cable for monophonic applications. No box needed.

Thirteenluck

I've been playing one since June,1967 when I bought mine new. As I noted, I keep a stereo to a 'Y' for stereo applications, and I keep a stereo-to-mono cable for monophonic applications. No box needed.

Like I said I'm brand new to the stereo guitar thing, so forgive any dumb thing I might say.

There is so much contrary info regarding the 345. I thought that just going with a stereo to mono chord had a detrimental impact on both tone and volume from the guitar. Hence giving the guitar and amp pairing a very thin and anemic sound. Is you experienced different from this ?

If it's that easy I'll just order a couple different cords.

brandtkronholm

...I thought that just going with a stereo to mono chord had a detrimental impact on both tone and volume from the guitar. Hence giving the guitar and amp pairing a very thin and anemic sound...

You are correct. The stereo to mono cable (mix-down cable) screws everything up.
Gavindale's solution is excellent.

Wally

IF there is a loss that occurs when joining the two stereo leads into a mono 1/4" plug, then there will be the same loss when joining the two stereo leads at a 1/4" MONO JACK inside that box. What can be the difference? Explanations welcome....
There is only one thing that can change, and that same variable can exist when plugging cables into that box......and most people would not believe that variable unless they sat with an open mind/ears and listened to the difference.

Last edited: