• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 humbucker questions

Cokecityrocker

So I've got a '69 custom that I almost never play. I really just don't love the tone compared to my '85 standard (with Tim Shaw's in it) or my '65 SG (with a p90). Is it totally sacrilegious to switch out the pickups? I'm honestly not even sure that they're original. The neck has a pat number sticker and the bridge has pat number stamped into the metal. there is also a slight difference in the way the screws are cut through the covers. The guitar plays and feels great and id like to get more use out of it. is it always wrong to replace? Can I just put them back if I ever want to sell it, or is the fact that they have been tampered with permanently devalue the guitar? what are some good replacement options if I chose to go that route?

thanks.

Big Al

Patent number decal gold Ttops are correct for that guitar. Stamped number no.

corpse

First have you tried having it set up? No disrespect to your skills but a good set up is definitely worth it.
But there are literally a hundred different pu's that would work.
A custom is a different animal than an SG or a STD. Bigger sounding and bassier.
I have used OX4's. I liked them a lot. Keep the originals and don't install anything that requires cutting or drilling.

djd100

Reissue LP customs have a maple top just like the GT's, so they really don't sound all that different from the converted GT's (somewhat due to the ebony fingerboard mostly).

50's and 1960 customs were all mahogany and do sound different, darker etc (I had a 69 LPC back in the day, and currently have a all mahogany LP Studio for a similar sound to that of the < 1960 LPC's).

Wish I still had my 69 LPC, though for some reason it was a lot heavier than the 69 GT I replaced it with (and still have)?

First have you tried having it set up? No disrespect to your skills but a good set up is definitely worth it.
But there are literally a hundred different pu's that would work.
A custom is a different animal than an SG or a STD. Bigger sounding and bassier.
I have used OX4's. I liked them a lot. Keep the originals and don't install anything that requires cutting or drilling.

Last edited:

Cokecityrocker

Thanks guys. I just bought a Pat number sticker humbucker online. i'll have my guy throw it in there and see how it sounds. I figure I should start with everything "period correct" before I start shopping for more modern solutions.

El Gringo

Patent number decal gold Ttops are correct for that guitar. Stamped number no.
Big Al , this reminds me of a question/issue that I have always had with my Les Paul Custom which if truth be told I really don't play that much because of the tone of the Custom compared to my R9 .What are the pros and cons of switching out the circuit to a Les Paul Standard circuit ? Which then would give it better tone and more bite ? I do have the Gibson 57 classic in the neck and the Gibson 57 classic + in the bridge .Also is this something to do at all with the wiring harness ? I guess I am trying to get the sound closer to the Standard tone as opposed to the way a Custom sounds .

Big Al

Big Al , this reminds me of a question/issue that I have always had with my Les Paul Custom which if truth be told I really don't play that much because of the tone of the Custom compared to my R9 .What are the pros and cons of switching out the circuit to a Les Paul Standard circuit ? Which then would give it better tone and more bite ? I do have the Gibson 57 classic in the neck and the Gibson 57 classic + in the bridge .Also is this something to do at all with the wiring harness ? I guess I am trying to get the sound closer to the Standard tone as opposed to the way a Custom sounds .

If it has the 300k/100k pot harness upgrading to the 500k all around pot value should get you what you want. I've found the 57+ too dull for my tastes, but then I like brighter/twangy bridge tone.

You might find the 500k pots do the trick. If not, then maybe a brighter pickup with the new pots will be in order.

El Gringo

If it has the 300k/100k pot harness upgrading to the 500k all around pot value should get you what you want. I've found the 57+ too dull for my tastes, but then I like brighter/twangy bridge tone.

You might find the 500k pots do the trick. If not, then maybe a brighter pickup with the new pots will be in order.
Is there a way to tell from looking in the control cavity if it has the 300k/100k pot harness ? Sorry for the dumb question .

El Gringo

Is there a way to tell from looking in the control cavity if it has the 300k/100k pot harness ? Sorry for the dumb question .
I did find one of the orginal pickups for the guitar last night and it was a T top ,Patent # ( I think it was 2737 )

El Gringo

I did find one of the orginal pickups for the guitar last night and it was a T top ,Patent # ( I think it was 2737 )
and it was gold patent # decal (2737 was the # if I remember correctly ) I remember taking them out and replacing them with Seymour Duncan's PAF neck and a Duncan distortion .This was around 1980 ? because the gold T top, Patent was in the Seymour Duncan plastic box and the Seymour Duncan pickups are in the Gibson 57 classic plastic case which is in another box of parts in the spare room with all kinds of parts ad stuff .That would be some archeological dig .

Big Al

Sometimes you can see a value stamped on the back of the pot. You can measure with a multi meter if you have one. I would assume 300k.

FWIW I find the Duncan 59 SH1 humbuckers outstanding and would make a great choice if the Ttops aren't hitting your target tone after the harness upgrade.

latestarter

In terms of getting "more" from a T Top in a solid body, I have had good success in putting a throbak magnet in them. Really makes a significant difference in depth, strength of sound and more in line with the PAF tone in my head. Just my experience.

El Gringo

Sometimes you can see a value stamped on the back of the pot. You can measure with a multi meter if you have one. I would assume 300k.

FWIW I find the Duncan 59 SH1 humbuckers outstanding and would make a great choice if the Ttops aren't hitting your target tone after the harness upgrade.
Thank you for your help Big Al.

El Gringo

In terms of getting "more" from a T Top in a solid body, I have had good success in putting a throbak magnet in them. Really makes a significant difference in depth, strength of sound and more in line with the PAF tone in my head. Just my experience.
You can buy a Throbak magnet from Throbak ?

El Gringo

Thank you Latestarter so much for your info and help .Mucho Gracias

Last edited:

latestarter

Just on this - my comments were in relation to Pat No decal T Tops...haven't tried it with stamped. Probably similar results.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I've "pumped up" many T-Tops by using the magnets from a P90. One P90 has two magnets.

Almost any will do as they are stronger and are the long size used in PAFs. IMNSHO, they make a change for the better.

El Gringo

Big Al, I wanted to ask you about the wiring harness in my Les Paul Custom, it will be the short shaft pot's ? The reason I ask is I am seriously thinking about replacing the wiring harness and I want to make sure I get the right one . Also is this a job that my Les Paul could or might get nicked/dinged or scratched or gouged ? I hate to be anal but I can't help it .

Last edited: