• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: '76 Limited Edition Bicentennial Firebird

DougDR94

Just picked up this '76 Bicentennial Limited Edition Firebird. Couldn't be happier with it, and like the natural finish. Sounds and plays great, and not too heavy. Don't think its gotten much play over 40 years, but came with some cool checking, and a case that smells like its been in a smoker's closet most of its days. Has the same paint scheme as my old boxer dog.

i-RfRfmVd-L.jpg

i-XWmMvXw-L.jpg

i-98CftMX-L.jpg
i-mLs7zrT-L.jpg

i-mNzjVCp-L.jpg
i-zSPfsLn-L.jpg
i-pNpMfN2-L.jpg

latestarter

Very nice, congrats!

I have one too...sounds like a Telecaster and I often use it with a preamp foot pedal to really pump it up.

Interesting to see the bridge pickup riser. I have it too.

UaxHG6t.jpg

y0MHRkD.jpg

Progrocker111

Wow, cool one. I am just wondering, if these minihumbuckers are the same as the ones used on Les Paul Deluxes. :hmm

latestarter

They had the same bobbins as the Mini Hums but laid on their side with the magnet between them. The 60's Bird pickups had the bobbins in a traditional position, vertical so to speak.

20130208_150235_zps0bfc54c4.jpg

sidewinder.jpg

DougDR94

They had the same bobbins as the Mini Hums but laid on their side with the magnet between them. The 60's Bird pickups had the bobbins in a traditional position, vertical so to speak.

20130208_150235_zps0bfc54c4.jpg

sidewinder.jpg
Hmmm, I had mine set up at my local luthier, who told me the bobbins were in the traditional position, not side by side as you say they are in the '76 model. This is the first guitar I have purchased on e-bay; hope I got what I paid for. At least I'm happy with the sound if not. I'll have to get brave enough to open it up and take a look. Thanks for sharing your pics Latestarter, your guitar looks great.

latestarter

Interesting. It is entirely possible your pickups are that way ex factory and you shouldn't be concerned about what that might mean regarding value etc. Sounds like you're enjoying it and that's the most important point.

EDIT - I seem to recall j45 having some knowledge in this area...and a previous conversation about two types of pickups in these '76's. Given that they made the '76 past '76, maybe the pickups changed later on to the above. Hopefully he'll step in.

P.Walker

Just picked up this '76 Bicentennial Limited Edition Firebird. Couldn't be happier with it, and like the natural finish. Sounds and plays great, and not too heavy. Don't think its gotten much play over 40 years, but came with some cool checking, and a case that smells like its been in a smoker's closet most of its days. Has the same paint scheme as my old boxer dog.

Looks like the dog is taking proper care of the guitar :hee
I once had a cat that seemed to think the tele was "her guitar," and would hiss at me whenever I played it. Funny thing that one...:rofl

It must sound huge with all that thick wood.

DougDR94

Looks like the dog is taking proper care of the guitar :hee
I once had a cat that seemed to think the tele was "her guitar," and would hiss at me whenever I played it. Funny thing that one...:rofl

It must sound huge with all that thick wood.

That dog will hang around for my guitar playing, but if I take out the violin and try to tackle Bach or Mozart, it howls and runs away. Everybody's a critic. :dang

You are right - It is a thick plank of wood down the center that really resonates.

coxster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149872550@N07/34800585403/

I hope the pic shows up (first time trying to insert a flickr image)

Got my Bicen in 1980 for Xmas when I was 16, I've hung onto it above all others. I don't really go crazy for the tone, and it will not stay in tune -but it's still loved, and knowing a forklift driver ( my Dad ) worked over a week to pay for it makes it even more special. Local LP guru Tom W. once showed me in a book there were 1277 Bicens made from 1975 to 1977, no idea how I could pinpoint it further.

DougDR94

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149872550@N07/34800585403/

I hope the pic shows up (first time trying to insert a flickr image)

Got my Bicen in 1980 for Xmas when I was 16, I've hung onto it above all others. I don't really go crazy for the tone, and it will not stay in tune -but it's still loved, and knowing a forklift driver ( my Dad ) worked over a week to pay for it makes it even more special. Local LP guru Tom W. once showed me in a book there were 1277 Bicens made from 1975 to 1977, no idea how I could pinpoint it further.

Jim, we may be the only two in the world that have both a Bicentennial 'bird and a mountain dulcimer. Great pic.

If you are looking to pinpoint the year it was made, serial #s starting with 99 are from 1975, 00 serial #s are 1976, and 06 numbers are 1977

Robin B

Regarding the pickups on these a lot of them had one of each deign one with the coils oriented in the traditional way and one pickup with the coils on thier side why is anyones guess.

DougDR94

Finally pulled the pups to see if my '76 FB was still loaded with the originals. Looks to match the description provided by a website called heliotricity.com which provided good detail. The bridge has black tape showing through the holes in the back plate and two wires coming out which the site says are the "stacked" type with bobbins on top of each other. The neck shows a lighter colored wood shim through the back plate which the site says has bobbins laid out side-by-side like 60's birds. The patent number matches pics the site provided. Note sure why that tape is present - does that indicate a splice, or is it a normal occurrence?

i-HrsWVxM-L.jpg
i-qBQ6Vmr-L.jpg