• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

John Lennon Junior, Chuck Berry, and a 'Burst

DANELECTRO

Here's a video with Lennon's SC Junior with the Charlie Christian pickup before it was stripped and refinished. The player in the back has a sunburst Les Paul with what appears to be narrow binding in the cutaway. Anybody know who it it might be playing it? When Lennon gets his turn at a solo, it sounds like his amp is out in the parking lot. :##

Here's a photo of the guitar after the refin. Thank god this one is a just a photo and not a video with audio. :laugh2:

DEVILBAT

The 'burst belonged to Lennon's Elephant's Memory guitarist Wayne "Tex" Gabriel. He passed away a couple of years back.

Xpensive Wino

With a Charlie Christian neck pickup added?

Why not?

Easy to add pickups. I've seen Juniors routed for humbuckers, as I'm sure you have too.

Someone added a TOM as well.

The two knob set-up clearly indicates it started life as a Junior.

b_rogers

She just couldnt play the drum, she had to assert her dominance. Chucks face when he hears her "Waaaaaaaaaaa" is priceless, like "Man, you better get that bitch in control.."

Bill Burr summed it up, Paul and Jon were whipped..

Mieko8

The 'burst belonged to Lennon's Elephant's Memory guitarist Wayne "Tex" Gabriel. He passed away a couple of years back.

I believe the burst belonged to John. Here’s a copy of the receipt showing all the details.

Attachments

• F98CEF7E-57E6-4006-B1E5-20DF4E5C80CF.jpg
    F98CEF7E-57E6-4006-B1E5-20DF4E5C80CF.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 690A5580-8F1F-4063-BEB1-E9A3A92E5F63.jpg
    690A5580-8F1F-4063-BEB1-E9A3A92E5F63.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 69

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Yeah, that was a lot of money for a “used guitar” in 1972. A new Les Paul custom in 1975 was less than $800.

But, it wasn't just a used guitar ... it was a Burst! A fair retail price at the time. :)

And yes, they could be found for less. That's always been true. :ganz

Mieko8

But, it wasn't just a used guitar ... it was a Burst! A fair retail price at the time. :)

And yes, they could be found for less. That's always been true. :ganz

If we only knew then what we know now. I’ll bet no one in 1972 could have ever believed that in 40 plus years, people would be spending $200K, $300K for them. Even into the 80s they were still “attainable” or within reach. They were still less expensive than what Gibson now charges for a custom shop. Now, a vintage burst is out of reach for most. Amazing!