• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

D'Angelico guitars

Cliff Gress

I've been receiving some feeds about D'Angelico guitars on Facebook. I have never played nor seen one. You guys have thoughts and opinions on these guitars?

deytookerjaabs

New ones, to me, are about on the level of the "Peerless" guitars and as such similar to 90's & late 80's Epiphones but with D'Angelico-like dimensions. I've played a few but they didn't stand out to me form other cheaper import archtops besides the fancy appearance.

If I were in the budget archtop market I'd be looking for player grade old Gibsons (150, 125, etc), newer Eastman guitars, late 70's to early 80's lawsuit guitars, or perhaps try "the loar" guitars in person because they have some QC issues though a good one is great. I'm not usually a lacquer/finish snob but a nice archtop which dons almost a full pound of poly finish just isn't that appealing.

ourmaninthenorth

I was thinking new. Thanks dey.

No experience with D'Angelico Cliff, the Master Builder Series look the part.

I bought a near cousin a few years ago, A brand new Japanese made D'Aquisto New Yorker...frankly it was beyond awful. I think it lasted a fortnight before I off loaded it at a significant loss (only after spending money to make the piece of junk playable for the next owner)

I replaced it with a Martin/Dale Unger CF1...which was a 100 times better a guitar, at roughly the same dough, as the other thing.

DoubleBoogie

I was thinking new. Thanks dey.

I've been intrigued by them as well...especially the EX-59. They are made in Korea and if the build quality is anywhere close to my Reverend built in Korea, it would be a very cool instrument. Very reasonably priced too!

jrgtr42

I've been looking at them also - in my case the EX-1; I don't have a jazz guitar.
The mid level ones (the ones that street around $1200 are decent - I've played a couple, and while they aren't a top-shelf guitar, they are pretty nice for the price. The lower ones, the Premier series, at $750 or so street prices, aren't worth the wood. I haven't tried the US built Masterbuilt series, but I presume they are about as nice as a semi-custom guitar can be.
I am in no way anywhere near that level, but I did play an Eastman next to the D'Angelico. The guitar sounded better, but I wasn't as big a fan of the neck - the Eastman had a much thinner neck, I wasn't really confortable on it - I like a bigger one.

The Guitar Hunter

I played the Excel DC and the Sotti signature model at NAMM last year and thought they played/felt great. I have yet to play one plugged in, so I don't know how they sound. That Bob Weir model is cool and I know he's been playing it for a while now. I've seen more and more players beginning to use them.

TM1

I have an EXL-1. It's a really lovely guitar and I got it from a friend for $800. with case. I got it in 2015 and it looks like new. I installed a better set of pots and a ThroBak mini-hum that Jon makes for their USA hand built models. I also added a Compton Compensated Brass Bridge on an Ebony base. Mines like from 2014 and has an Ebony fingerboard. They changed it to Rosewood last year, so I feel pretty lucky to get one with Ebony.

Dougj

I've been receiving some feeds about D'Angelico guitars on Facebook. I have never played nor seen one. You guys have thoughts and opinions on these guitars?
Did you ever get round at looking at the Angelico range, I have been with my Les Paul standard since 2013 but I wanted something more blues, rock and a bit of Jazz this Angelico fitted the bill
it the EX-SS in black /grey flame gold hardware and I'm really enjoying this guitar

Cliff Gress

Did you ever get round at looking at the Angelico range, I have been with my Les Paul standard since 2013 but I wanted something more blues, rock and a bit of Jazz this Angelico fitted the bill
it the EX-SS in black /grey flame gold hardware and I'm really enjoying this guitar

Glad you are enjoying it. I went 335.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I got an Excel a few months ago. Good sounding, well built guitar. Street prices, used, aren't bad. Don't think I"ll keep it forever but I don't regret buying it.

filtersweep

Never played one, but they look great. I like bling- like LP Customs, glittery Gretches, etc. But they are not cheap.

I wonder what resale value is.