• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

True Historic ´59 Bavarian Makeover

Orreman

Polishing time!

JTR4Skx.jpg

efQC2Lp.jpg

BB276pu.jpg

X9e1a5w.jpg

Orreman

Wow! How much will you age the guitar?
I wonder how he will give the clear coat that amber and vintage patina
Will you fade back and sides too?

The amber is already on. You can see it on the binding.
We have decided to go for a light aging with a lot of weather checking.
I want it to look like a well kept '59

Billy Porter

Polishing time!

JTR4Skx.jpg

efQC2Lp.jpg

BB276pu.jpg

X9e1a5w.jpg

The no-fade areas don't look quite right to me. My Norlin has not faded within the pickup rings (I'll not sully this thread with a pictures though). Were the pickups in-situ during the UV treatment ?

I also agree with F-Hole on not fully understanding why this is being done but admire the craftmanship and attention to detail we're seeing here. Everyone to their own though

RocknRollShakeUp

Finally the magic nuclear Bavarian UV process is done!

As a reminder, this is what we started with:
jTLlEOi.jpg

This is what we were aiming for: (original Pearly Gates burst)
9HSw9m2.jpg

And this is the result:
4WyT1zS.jpg

bkmbmA5.jpg

Couldn't be happier! Florian has killed it! I love this color.
The sharp shade from the pickguard will be faded down by natural light.

Next up is sanding and flashcoat

My man, I have to say...that is freakin' absolutely, freakin', gorgeous. This has been a controversial project, so thank you very much for allowing us to take a ride along! But I think this is has shaped/shaping up to be an amazing make over.

In so far as the plug is concerned, it is barely visible and should be covered up nicely by the tailpiece I think.

Orreman

My man, I have to say...that is freakin' absolutely, freakin', gorgeous. This has been a controversial project, so thank you very much for allowing us to take a ride along! But I think this is has shaped/shaping up to be an amazing make over.

In so far as the plug is concerned, it is barely visible and should be covered up nicely by the tailpiece I think.

Thank you very much!

The plug will not be visible at all when the tailpiece comes on. I always top wrap my Les Pauls so the tailpiece will be in the bottom position.

Orreman

The no-fade areas don't look quite right to me. My Norlin has not faded within the pickup rings (I'll not sully this thread with a pictures though). Were the pickups in-situ during the UV treatment ?

I also agree with F-Hole on not fully understanding why this is being done but admire the craftmanship and attention to detail we're seeing here. Everyone to their own though

You can't compare the Norlin era guitars with a 50's spec guitar. They are two completly different animals. Different kinds of paint, clearcoat etc.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

I'd take a '69-74 any day over a TH..but that's just me.:jim

Yours does look beautiful though. :)

The guitar's that i miss the most are my Norlins from my stop tail GT - 76 Explorer an many other Les Pauls & ES & Korina guitars ! Lotta NORLIN love here Kris !

Orreman

I'd take a '69-74 any day over a TH..but that's just me.:jim

Yours does look beautiful though. :)

Sorry for the Asshole comment before. Your guitar is probably fantastic:)

They are pretty hard to compare though. Totally different builds.

Kris Ford

Naw, it's all good.

I just have a soft spot for the ones of my youth, actually extend that date to '76...I love me a maple neck LP! Sustain monsters!

I like that era because they are better suited for hard and heavy rock and classic metal.:yah

AA00475Bassman

What is the reason for such a high volume of glue in the reset of the neck joint ? The reason I ask pre TH guitars glue has been such a issue . This volume of glue might be standard with a neck set . Could a high volume of correct glue have the same effect as a lower volume of wrong glue factory neck install ?