• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

True Historic ´59 Bavarian Makeover

RavenTooth

From my limited knowledge of woodworking, I believe that it may initially lighten in the sun. However, eventually the natural oils in the wood and any added oils will oxidize to almost black. But, I think we're talking about a time period of 50-100 years. Look at antique furniture, like the stuff on antiques roadshow, as an example. Much of that old wood, dark wood is almost black.

Last edited:

bumps

Also would the natural oils from human fingers over 60+ years not darken the wood?

marshall1987

This talk of Brazilian rosewood fingerboards and oxidizing......

....what we're really talking about is natural weathering and aging of the wood due to moisture, friction, UV light, heat, cold, dirt, microbes, and human skin oils/sweat. Natural weathering and aging of a fingerboard is usually a slow process, but can be accelerated if the guitar is played heavily for many months and years.

To refer to this process as chemical oxidation is misleading and really not accurate.

hoss

Great posts on the fingerboard, thanks guys!

I was asking, because I once sun faded a guitar for a couple of days in the open window and noticed the fingerboard getting much lighter.
Treating it with Fret Doctor twice got it dark again.

RavenTooth

To a certain extent the fretboard of a guitar left outside in the sun is probably lightening because it's drying out. Even a newly cut piece of wood that hasn't been oiled has natural oils in it. This is why oiling it darkened it again.

Good points about the complexities of aging a fretboard though. My first guitar (Godin G Series) which I bought new in the 90s, learned on and played exclusively for almost 20 years has totally worn out frets and an awesome looking Indian rosewood fretboard. I wish my R9's fretboard looked like that. Give it 20 years.

RocknRollShakeUp

The fretboard is covered during the UV process. The reason the fretboard looks bright is because it hasn't been oiled yet.
kzjGCB8.jpg

Finally, Florian's tanning bed is getting some use, especially after paying so many euro for it!

Just Kidding! That's really cool to see how the process is done, thank you very much for sharing!

B Ingram

From my limited knowledge of woodworking, I believe that it may initially lighten in the sun. However, eventually the natural oils in the wood and any added oils will oxidize to almost black. But, I think we're talking about a time period of 50-100 years. Look at antique furniture, like the stuff on antiques roadshow, as an example. Much of that old wood, dark wood is almost black.

Marshall1987 gave the complete answer. Here are some examples of even relatively brief aging:

How Wood Changes Color Over Time

Color Changing Wood

Wood & Steel (Far bottom-right of page 7)

Orreman

Finally the magic nuclear Bavarian UV process is done!

As a reminder, this is what we started with:
jTLlEOi.jpg

This is what we were aiming for: (original Pearly Gates burst)
9HSw9m2.jpg

And this is the result:
4WyT1zS.jpg

bkmbmA5.jpg

Couldn't be happier! Florian has killed it! I love this color.
The sharp shade from the pickguard will be faded down by natural light.

Next up is sanding and flashcoat

J T

:hmm
What's that by the pickguard screw hole?

bigcat

The fretboard is covered during the UV process. The reason the fretboard looks bright is because it hasn't been oiled yet.

UV lights! :wow
I understand the process but doesn't photooxidation hurt the top?

F-Hole

I hope the OP gets a guitar he loves.....but....I have to say I just don't get it.

The whole process is, to my mind, absolutely nuts.

Still, that's what makes the world go round and, sincerely, I hope the guitar turns out to be what the OP deserves.

P.A.F

Wow! How much will you age the guitar?
I wonder how he will give the clear coat that amber and vintage patina
Will you fade back and sides too?