• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stunning Collings City Limits ala Jeff Beck

Big Al

Every Collings I've encountered has been just superb. Can't get moist about a black version when they use great timber and flawless transparent finishes.

Dave P

If I had $5k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd pick up a new Collings electric. I really liked the ones I've had a chance to play.

renderit

Before you buy one make sure you try one of these. I have virtually every line they make in electrics (though not every type!) except the jazz boxes and I find this one so unique it is really in a class all by itself. Think of a Fender Stratocaster meets a set-neck carved top Les Paul and gets voiced between a Tele and a p90. Very unique and it is a huge amount of fun to play. This one with the Wilkinson Tremolo (Gotoh?) stays in tune better than ANY guitar I have. One of my very favorites. I think it is the best thing Collings have done. And I live just around the block from them.

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

57gold

Beg to disagree...have played the Collings "Strat", very cool and original interpretation for a non-bolt on version, but Collings highest and best attempt at originality is the CL Jazz, IMHO:

206FAB8E_zps8c4f5940.jpg

Hand carved spruce arched top on a one piece "dish" of mahogany that makes up back and sides...thin, but acoustically loud, sweet sounding jazz box that is a dream to play. Love Bill's guitars...surprised that the black "Jeff Beckian" CL is still for sale at TME, good guys to deal with Joe and his team.

Last edited:

Billy Hiwatt

I got a new CL aged brockburst last week. It's just an awesome guitar. An improved and refined LP. Played it back to back vs my CR8, the CL is more comfortable due to the leg and tummycut. Plus the pickguard lays down flatter than the angled up Gibson 'guard, which really adds to the playability. The Throwbak pu's are way more expressive and louder than the stock burstbuckers in the '58. Unplugged, it really resonates and is very lively.
url]

Last edited:

renderit

Picks my man! Immediately! I still insist that the finish work that Collings does is SOOOOOOO perfect I don't get why you would want it aged, but to each their own.

Some pics to damn Photobucket to hell:

36382899031_3dbf0dd6a9_k.jpg

35685457424_478c9f3dde_k.jpg

35687650534_eee4848cda_k.jpg

36383205921_093e3a149d_k.jpg

36520713645_cba0f57792_k.jpg

Billy Hiwatt

I tried to link a photo in my previous post. The Collings aged finish is very subtle. Not to be confused with a relic. You can only notice it in certain light. The hardware is aged too. The bindings are aged cream. Pity my CR8, it will not get much playing time these days.

renderit

Looks awesome! Very comfortable and excellent feeling guitars. Love mine to death.

marshall1987

Lot of love for Collings here....especially the semi-hollowbody models. I have two.

I just wished they would include binding nibs over the fret ends, vs. frets over the binding. And their guitar models could benefit by having a better choice of fingerboard inlays.

Lastly, I would like to see the standard Collings neck profile increased at the first fret from 0.865" to 0.900".

renderit

Huh. I like the fret over binding and find the necks pretty much perfect on all the ones I have. Particularly the soft V on the 360. I generally like large necks but i find the shape on Collings to be the perfect C for me. I like the understated dots on my CL and the inlays on my I-35. So I guess to each their own.

marshall1987

Huh. I like the fret over binding and find the necks pretty much perfect on all the ones I have. Particularly the soft V on the 360. I generally like large necks but i find the shape on Collings to be the perfect C for me. I like the understated dots on my CL and the inlays on my I-35. So I guess to each their own.

Ren: Don't you think that beautiful Brockburst City Limits posted above would look better with upgraded fingerboard inlays? Something on the line of blocks or trapezoids?

To me the dots just don't fit with the rest of the elegant styling and finish of that guitar. It's sort of like a guy wearing sneakers with a tuxedo.

Billy Hiwatt

Ren: Don't you think that beautiful Brockburst City Limits posted above would look better with upgraded fingerboard inlays? Something on the line of blocks or trapezoids?

To me the dots just don't fit with the rest of the elegant styling and finish of that guitar. It's sort of like a guy wearing sneakers with a tuxedo.

Actually I prefer the dots. I never was a big fan Gibsonesque blocks. The Collings parallelograms are nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Lord knows, I don't want anyone to confuse my City Limits with a Lesser Paul! Just my opinion, I appreciate hearing others.

renderit

My CL actually has custom SMALLER DOTS. I Love it! The trapezoids never appealed to me anyway. I always thought they looked awkward. I like the parellellellellellegrams and "Broken Glass" as well.

renderit

Or brown shoes with a black tuxedo? Yup. I gots that one too! That's why I call it "Mother's Worry"!

36277890376_c6f92cd8e3_k.jpg