• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Songbirds Museum

sikoniko

Courtesy of Rev Willy VK's patronage, CBRMatt, Benji Shanks and I were hosted by Dave through the whole shebang yesterday- three hours. I thought I had some bandwidth on the subject- nope. The four of us geeked, until my brain literally was saturated.
I am very anecdotal, and Dave's acquisition stories, and the stories around the guitars in general is what enthralls me. The collection is epic, as is Dave's collection of background materials- colors charts of automotive colors used on Fender Custom Colors (Chevy Blue vs Buick Blue- sorry- don't remember the actual name)- don't know how they can effectivly share all of that- but it's there. He has all but nine of the custom colors; Gibson manufacturing specs from every era. Left eye twitching... Norlin stuff- Loar stuff- a trifecta. Guitars with big round holes in the top.
Ok- down to business- at least a dozen bursts on display- sunburst DC Juniors, three knob Customs, four 1958 flying V's on display- two Explorers. Some of the stuff had only eight or nine ever made, and Songbirds owns six of them...
Second-to-finally this is not a one-stop show- the exhibit is 500 odd pieces. The collection is over 2500 pieces.
And finally (mercifully) what is really inspiring is all of this stuff passed through Dave's hands- most of it was stuff he hunted down after hearing about it.
And I want to thank Bertha's daughter. We dig your Mom's tele- and for sharing it with the rest of us.

the place is very overwhelming. awesome you got to take the tour with such good company. Dave was in New York when I went. They were very much look but don't touch. My buddy who went when Dave was there said that guitars were passed around freely by Dave.

stevechilders

Had the great fortune to make it to the museum today... as others have said it is overwhelming at times, it literally took my breath away when the elevator door opened.

I counted 9 burst's on display & several 57 & 58 goldtops.

I think every custom color fender is represented with some colors that I had never heard of.. a 51 nocaster in Olympic white ( first custom color tele) and a black strat that is the first custom color strat known...

One guitar of interest / intrigue was a white firebird that they believe belonged to Duane Allman at some point... the case is painted with skydog & 71 (1971)... I have never seen any photos of Duane (or Dickey for that matter) playing a firebird.

I will be back.

corpse

Had the great fortune to make it to the museum today... as others have said it is overwhelming at times, it literally took my breath away when the elevator door opened.

I counted 9 burst's on display & several 57 & 58 goldtops.

I think every custom color fender is represented with some colors that I had never heard of.. a 51 nocaster in Olympic white ( first custom color tele) and a black strat that is the first custom color strat known...

One guitar of interest / intrigue was a white firebird that they believe belonged to Duane Allman at some point... the case is painted with skydog & 71 (1971)... I have never seen any photos of Duane (or Dickey for that matter) playing a firebird.

I will be back.

Interesting at the Fullerton shop- when they needed a custom color they took it down the street to an auto body shop and selected a color from a car catalog. Some were Chevy blue other Buick blue.