• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mini Humbucker Firebird Pickup

samsdad

Does Anybody Have Any experience With Firebird Mini Humbucker replacement Pickups
The Historic Firebird 1 Pickups Are 15K Plus on there readings
Was wondering if theres a good replacement Firebird Pickup
with lower output like an original 1963-1964 i Heard the Name Klein Mentioned Somewhere
any advice would be helpful
Thanks

latestarter

There are a number of threads on the topic. Many like the Seymour Duncan Antiquities. Personally, I've yet to find anything manufacturer that has nailed the tone 100%...but, yes Klein gets good feedback.

Just a watch-out - the Seymours are the only pickup manufacturer I know of using the vintage dimensions for the covers. Klein, Gibson and everyone else uses the larger modern size cover. So if you're looking at SD's, be aware there will be a small gap between the pickup cover and the ring.

My '64 FB V has these Gibson made minis (ex Silvertone guitar)....I love them!

24210d1373585366-img_2972.jpg

CAGinLA

I have tried Lollars and Seymour Duncans in my old Gibson USA Firebirds - both sounded good to me.

I recently bought a CS Firebird I and, even thought the stock pickup sounds perfectly fine to me (especially after upgrading the flimsy stock ceramic cap for a Luxe Sprague 1960-1970 repro cap, which has smoothed out the high end), I decided to try something new and bought a Klein FB pickup - it arrives tomorrow, so I can't give you a tone report yet, but lots of folk recommend them.

latestarter

Truth be told, modern day FB pickups are good, if not great, for most tones! Forget about the resistance readings, just listen to your ears.

CAGinLA

Truth be told, modern day FB pickups are good, if not great, for most tones! Forget about the resistance readings, just listen to your ears.

Good advice.

FB pickups, like good PAF style humbuckers, also benefit from working the volume and tone knobs, so it's worthwhile to make sure you have high quality pots, caps and wiring installed.

samsdad

All Great Advice Thanks
I don't Like The Factory Historic Pickup At All
I have 1964 CTS Pots And Cap Installed
And Still Don't Like It
I would like to hear about the Klein Pickup
Once you have put it through its Paces
Can A Mini Humbucker Be Used Of An Eraly 60'S Epiphone
With Adjustable Pole Pieces Instead Of A Firebird Pickup?

TM1

I have a Klein coming this week! I bought one a couple years back. Best sounding FB pickup around except for the originals.

CAGinLA

I got my Klein today and just wired into my FB I - here are my thoughts after about an hour of play time.

The quality is excellent - very sweet tone with lots of clarity.

I asked Klein to wind this a little on the hot side - have no idea what the resistance is (no tool to measure it), but it is definitely not as hot as the stock pickup.

The stock pickup sounded good to me and I didn't need to replace it - I am just a serial modder. Honestly, there is not a massive difference between it and the Klein, other than the fact that the Klein is not as hot.

I would say the stock one is a maybe bit closer to a PAF humbucker, while the Klein is reminiscent of a hot Tele bridge pickup. The Klein is slightly brighter, not quite as powerful - but by no means whimpy.

I like the Klein and think I will keep it in this guitar.

becks bolero

I have a set of JS Moore Firebird pups in a '63 FB build, they sound great to me

I told him I wanted '63 firebird pups, sent him a whole bunch of links to info on the original pups

I'll see if I can record a clip or two

TM1

I got my Klein today and just wired into my FB I - here are my thoughts after about an hour of play time.

The quality is excellent - very sweet tone with lots of clarity.

I asked Klein to wind this a little on the hot side - have no idea what the resistance is (no tool to measure it), but it is definitely not as hot as the stock pickup.

The stock pickup sounded good to me and I didn't need to replace it - I am just a serial modder. Honestly, there is not a massive difference between it and the Klein, other than the fact that the Klein is not as hot.

I would say the stock one is a maybe bit closer to a PAF humbucker, while the Klein is reminiscent of a hot Tele bridge pickup. The Klein is slightly brighter, not quite as powerful - but by no means whimpy.

I like the Klein and think I will keep it in this guitar.

What did you put it in? I have one that will be here today. I'm putting it in my Joe B. FB I. the stock pickup doesn't sound bad really, but in comparison to my FB VII, the Klein is a bit fatter. The other two pickups in my VII are the Gibson/Silvertone's like pictured above. I have had some of those for a few years and love them. I even put one in the neck of my Mahogany Tele that Mike Lipe made me in 1994.
Thanks!

becks bolero

Good accurate representation of a vintage Firebird pickup(s)!

thanks!!

fwiw I was messing with my 50w marshall today, here is a clip with some more grind

http://el34.coolpage.biz/clips/fbird_50w.mp3

anyway, enough from me, I don't want to appear a spammer. figured it may be interesting for anyone looking for m ore vintage pups

I was not impressed with the custom shop firebird I tried out, so I had this thing built

good luck to the OP

CAGinLA

What did you put it in? I have one that will be here today. I'm putting it in my Joe B. FB I. the stock pickup doesn't sound bad really, but in comparison to my FB VII, the Klein is a bit fatter. The other two pickups in my VII are the Gibson/Silvertone's like pictured above. I have had some of those for a few years and love them. I even put one in the neck of my Mahogany Tele that Mike Lipe made me in 1994.
Thanks!

I have a 2016 Custom Shop Firebird I.

OOMWACk.jpg

Kris Ford

I have a 2016 Custom Shop Firebird I.

OOMWACk.jpg

If you'd interested in a set of real reflectors, I can help. SO spammy of me LOL...but to be dead honest, I saw this pic and imagined real reflectors of a similar age..(would totally look vintage...)and realized I have some.:peace2

rockabilly69

thanks!!

fwiw I was messing with my 50w marshall today, here is a clip with some more grind

http://el34.coolpage.biz/clips/fbird_50w.mp3

anyway, enough from me, I don't want to appear a spammer. figured it may be interesting for anyone looking for m ore vintage pups

I was not impressed with the custom shop firebird I tried out, so I had this thing built

good luck to the OP
I love the tone in the first part of that clip (before you cranked volume), very Stones like!

marshall1987

Agree that owners of recent Firebirds should not put too much stock in the high DCR readings of their mini-humbucking pickups.

Couldn't the higher value of the DCR readings (~ 15K ohms) on recent Gibson Firebird pickups with the ceramic magnets be related to the use of 43 gauge magnet wire vs. the 42 gauge used with regular humbucking pickups? The thinner 43 gauge magnet wire has a greater value of ohms/ft as I recall vs. the 42 gauge.

Kris Ford

Agree that owners of recent Firebirds should not put too much stock in the high DCR readings of their mini-humbucking pickups.

Couldn't the higher value of the DCR readings (~ 15K ohms) on recent Gibson Firebird pickups with the ceramic magnets be related to the use of 43 gauge magnet wire vs. the 42 gauge used with regular humbucking pickups? The thinner 43 gauge magnet wire has a greater value of ohms/ft as I recall vs. the 42 gauge.

I believe I have heard that as well.:hmm

rockabilly69

15K ohms, that's the neck pickup, my bridge pickups were 23K ohms

Last edited: