• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mini Humbucker Firebird Pickup

latestarter

I had a TV White Firebird from 2009 - the original pickups were in the 18-20K range from memory, but sounded like a more like a vintage humbucker...which was great. I think Gibson may have recognised at some point that the mainstream might like a bit more meat to the tone from their Firebirds. I have two Centennial Firebirds and those pickups are different again. All good, all slightly different.

CAGinLA

If you'd interested in a set of real reflectors, I can help. SO spammy of me LOL...but to be dead honest, I saw this pic and imagined real reflectors of a similar age..(would totally look vintage...)and realized I have some.:peace2

Sounds interesting - PM me! :)

Roe

Were the originals A5 or A2? Btw: EC's FB1 had a bridge pickup which reads around 6k2

Kris Ford

Whether it's "vintage correct" or not, (a term that means less and less to me anymore), I like the extra power myself...and this pickup sounds KILLER through a Marshall! Bright and edgy through my JMP2203, (BUT NOT ABRASIVE OR HARSH), growly, mean and tuff through my JMP Super Bass...(both loaded with NOS pre-amp tubes, a Tungsram [nasty and aggressive!!] and Mullard I63 and F91 in the 1992, Mullard F92, a Brimar and a Mullard CV4004 in the 2203..)

I sound like a broken record here, but to me, it's just a great all around hard rock pickup. Still has a unique tone, even if not like the original run of them...
I absolutely LOVE my Firebird as is! (well, after I installed steel studs, replaced Pinnacle style Nashville, with a standard style, and used solid studs instead of the hollow hex type that came with it, PIO caps, (just because I had them) and installed a set of minty 60's reflectors...and added a upper bout strap button in tribute to the old ones.:spabout
20170127_150756-1.jpg

(looks like my fretboard needs cleaned LOL..)
I'm not a fan of low output pickups..I'm trying to pound my pre-amp as hard as I can!::yah

no 6

Firebird Pickup and P-90 output.

This kind of off the wall, but what is the best way to match volume between a firebird bridge and a P-90 neck. Will lower gauss magnets lower the volume significantly on the P-90? Also should the 2x magnets match polarity to the screws of the P-90? I've read north-north which makes sense to me, but also read north-south. How does Gibson orient the magnets on a P-90?

c_wester

Does anybody make a real Firebird pickup copy?
One that is a replica of the original 1963-1964 or are all of them versions of early Epiphone mini humbuckers?

fakejake

The Lollar's have a pretty good reputation. I just ordered one, can't wait to try it out!

AA00475Bassman

I have SD's bridge in my 98 historic V & Historic 111

My 2016 USA Firebird V has SD's neck & Bridge

After all the Time & money not so sure I would go the pickup Kool-Aid again !

c_wester

As I understand it the Seymour Duncans are not even of the same species as the original 63-64 pickups.
I don't know about the Lollars but my suspicion is they are also a different animal.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I want the same pickups as the Originals had not some that fits the hole.

I do understand they sound awesome but I have Paf pickups for that.

Also, I must confess the original pickups in the 2017 HP Firebird do sound very very good.

AA00475Bassman

The SD's are not wax potted SD CLAIMS the pickups are built with the same materials as Gibson 63-65 Firebird claims SD .

The SD are also the same length as original .

AS far as tone I think I made my point with my other post .

Last edited:

c_wester

The SD's are not wax potted SD CLAIMS the pickups are MFG with the same materials as Gibson 63-65 Firebird .

The SD are also the same length as original .

AS far as tone I think I made my point with my other post .

What is a MFG ?

Stiggs

I had a TV White Firebird from 2009 - the original pickups were in the 18-20K range from memory, but sounded like a more like a vintage humbucker...which was great. I think Gibson may have recognised at some point that the mainstream might like a bit more meat to the tone from their Firebirds. I have two Centennial Firebirds and those pickups are different again. All good, all slightly different.

Mine’s also a white bird 2009, love them pups, have never once considered swapping them out. Very reactive to vol knob tweaking. Cream, Stones, Johnny W tones and them some. Wouldn’t change a thang.

Triplet

I put a pair of early '70s mini hums in my FVII. Pretty sweet. Much woodier than one would expect.

AA00475Bassman

Being Firebirds are my go to guitar I own several , some have alnico & Ceramic , some are all ceramic , some are all alnico . IMO the sound of these guitars really is magical .

Disclaimer , Although my love for Gibson Firebirds is subjective you haven't had great NECK profile till you play a Historic Firebird & although the USA line has a very slim profile the neck is very stiff with the laminations , the USA models are a whole lot of value !

no 6

Being Firebirds are my go to guitar I own several , some have alnico & Ceramic , some are all ceramic , some are all alnico . IMO the sound of these guitars really is magical .

Disclaimer , Although my love for Gibson Firebirds is subjective you haven't had great NECK profile till you play a Historic Firebird & although the USA line has a very slim profile the neck is very stiff with the laminations , the USA models are a whole lot of value !

One can pursue the tone of a '60s Firebird, but if you really want "that" sound, you'll have to buy a vintage guitar. I have an original '60s Thunderbird and a '76 pickup installed in a bass. Completely different design and sound, but the combination of the two gives me a lot more tonal options. As well I have a guitar with a DIY "Firebird" pickup made from a mini humbucker out of an SG II. Alnico magnets in the coils with a ceramic across the bottom. approx. 6k but 50 gauss. It doesn't sound exactly like a '60s original, but it does sound great. There are so many variables, amp, strings etc. Go for your own sound.

AA00475Bassman

One can pursue the tone of a '60s Firebird, but if you really want "that" sound, you'll have to buy a vintage guitar. I have an original '60s Thunderbird and a '76 pickup installed in a bass. Completely different design and sound, but the combination of the two gives me a lot more tonal options. As well I have a guitar with a DIY "Firebird" pickup made from a mini humbucker out of an SG II. Alnico magnets in the coils with a ceramic across the bottom. approx. 6k but 50 gauss. It doesn't sound exactly like a '60s original, but it does sound great. There are so many variables, amp, strings etc. Go for your own sound.
My Firebird sound is exclusive to each guitar vintage tone is never a consideration when choosing pickups ,( Go for your own sound ) Really is a good place to land ! My first rack Historic Firebird V 1998 is a stone groove killer very heavy in weight sometimes I have to nap while its sustaining !

Last edited:

Big Al

As I understand it the Seymour Duncans are not even of the same species as the original 63-64 pickups.
I don't know about the Lollars but my suspicion is they are also a different animal.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But I want the same pickups as the Originals had not some that fits the hole.

As you understand, what? How did you come to understand such a completely false thing? I've compared my original 64 V & III to Duncan VINTAGE and ANTIQUITY FB pickups and they were the closest match of all the pickups I've tried. They use same magnets, wire and build. The biggest problem is the same as you find with pafs, where those with no real experience or time on vintage originals invent an expectation of performance.

Original FB Mini's are weak, bright and thin. Very singlecoil fender like. I love 'em. Not everyone is aware of the true tonal signature of a vintage FB pickup, 'cause not everyone has experience with originals. None of the various reissues have this pickup which further confuses the issue.

The hotter/fatter types are great for those who love FB but not vintage tone. And you would be correct about Duncans non vintage FB pickups. Everybody wins.

Last edited:

latestarter

Yep, the Duncans are the same breed totally compared with originals. Even have the same dimensions, something no one else seems to care much about.

If I had an old Firebird needing new pickups I would get Duncans, then have them rewound hotter by a fair bit. Might even try that with my 76....

no 6

Can someone tell me which colors (black and white) are the start and finish lead wires coming off a mini humbucker bobbin/coil?