• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kris Derrig's guitars.

AlienVintage

Most (almost all) Derrigs you see offered for sale today were made many years after Derrig died. So, it's hard to know what's what.

4string

About 20 shots of various Deering's in the link below. One person is well known, the other two are Jim Foote (indoor photo) and Scott Sheldon (outdoor photo). Not sure who either of them are but their names are included in the jpg files. The one from Jim's Guitar was at the Dallas Show in 2016. Heard two people play it (both were a lot better than me) and neither seemed that impressed. ScumbackSpeakers comment in the next posting refers to the asking price for this instrument.

https://paularthur.smugmug.com/Kris-Deering-Guitars/

Last edited:

ScumbackSpeakers

Current price is $27,900 on the site...if anyone is interested.

Nice flame top, I'll say that much.

AA00475Bassman

If this is the the original Hunter Burst ,Steve Hunter claimed Max built this guitar . Max will not deny this or claim the guitar was built by him . He said he was modding & building over a 150 guitars a year he does not remember the hunter burst . People have claimed they saw this guitar in Max shop . How did this guitar get linked to Kris .

S. Cane

I asked about Derrigs and the Hunter came up.

People also say that the Hunter might be the first AfD recording guitar used by Slash, but in his bio he states clearly that the guitar Alan Niven got for him was made by Derrig (he even mentions that he was a luthier based in Redondo Beach).

EliteGuitars

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I played the "Hunter Burst" [made by Derrig] about a year back. I didn't care for it at all.

...just to clarify if anyone is interested. There has been and still is some confusion about the Replica Les Pauls that Slash has and does own from back in the early days of the band. The short story version is that he had 4. 2 were made by Peter "Max" Baranet and 2 were made by Kris Derrig, both of whom were guitar builders in Southern California. 1 of the Max guitars, The HUNTER burst, was lost by Slash to a pawn shop and later sold. Slash still has the 3 others.
The Steve "HUNTER" burst was built by Peter "Max" Baranet. That guitar was sold out of my guitar shop "Guitars R Us" back in the mid 1980's. It was 1 of 2 Max-made Les Pauls that Slash acquired from my shop. Slash also acquired 2 hand-made replica Les Pauls that were made by Kris Derrig. The band's manager back at that time, Alan Niven owned a Derrig-Made replica LP of his own and brought it into the studio during the Appetite recordings. Slash gave it a test drive and really connected with it. He later sought out and purchased 1 for himself as well as acquired the guitar that Alan owned.
If i have photos of any of these instruments, I will try to post some in the near future.

Last edited:

FuneralBill5150

...just to clarify if anyone is interested. There has been and still is some confusion about the Replica Les Pauls that Slash has and does own from back in the early days of the band. The short story version is that he had 4. 2 were made by Peter "Max" Baranet and 2 were made by Kris Derrig, both of whom were guitar builders in Southern California. 1 of the Max guitars, The HUNTER burst, was lost by Slash to a pawn shop and later sold. Slash still has the 3 others.
The Steve "HUNTER" burst was built by Peter "Max" Baranet. That guitar was sold out of my guitar shop "Guitars R Us" back in the mid 1980's. It was 1 of 2 Max-made Les Pauls that Slash acquired from my shop. Slash also acquired 2 hand-made replica Les Pauls that were made by Kris Derrig. The band's manager back at that time, Alan Niven owned a Derrig-Made replica LP of his own and brought it into the studio during the Appetite recordings. Slash gave it a test drive and really connected with it. He later sought out and purchased 1 for himself as well as acquired the guitar that Alan owned.
If i have photos of any of these instruments, I will try to post some in the near future.

http://www.edgwaremusic.com/petermaxbaranet.html

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Back in the LPF "Good ol' days", the gang back then were often posting about their Derrigs, Keeblers, Maxs, etc, with lots of secret handshake, cryptic messages. Maybe now that the world has discovered that discussing LP replicas will not result in life without parole, maybe some of them can comment. They seemed quite knowledgeable at the time.

Dave P

Back in the LPF "Good ol' days", the gang back then were often posting about their Derrigs, Keeblers, Maxs, etc, with lots of secret handshake, cryptic messages. Maybe now that the world has discovered that discussing LP replicas will not result in life without parole, maybe some of them can comment. They seemed quite knowledgeable at the time.

Some of those guitars were still being made at that time, hence the cryptic references. It wasn't really a secret, but the builders didn't want their names out there publically for obvious reasons.

MaxGuitars

If this is the the original Hunter Burst ,Steve Hunter claimed Max built this guitar . Max will not deny this or claim the guitar was built by him . He said he was modding & building over a 150 guitars a year he does not remember the hunter burst . People have claimed they saw this guitar in Max shop . How did this guitar get linked to Kris .
That's correct, the guitar was made by Max as verified in a recent auction where the guitar was up for bid starting at $500k. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/slash-first-guns-n-roses-les-paul-hunter-burst-auction