• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hello, 498t microphonic and squealing?

boola1

Hello, '90 Studio, microphonic 498t and squealing?

Hi, first post. I recently bought a 1990 Studio. It's a fantastic sounding guitar but I found the bridge pickup (498t) waaaaay too hot and this is in comparison to my beloved Flying V!

With high gain amps, I was getting some squealing. I have moved the pickups down so that they are almost flush with the pickup surround which has helped but the pickups are still noticeably microphonic and always close to feedback if I'm too close to the amp.

This is my first experience with these pickups or any humbuckers other than the 490/500T in my V, which have no issues.

Is this just how these pickups are? Do I just have to be careful with the gain and getting too close to the amp?

I measured a resistance of 13.3k so I'm pretty certain it is the stock 498t.

Thanks!

Finally, the obligatory pics!

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

Last edited:

Yelly

498s are a lot hotter than a PAF style pickup/ Classic 57/ Burstbucker/ 490 so you will need a fair bit less gain. They are usually already potted but you can get microphone if the whole pickup is free to vibrate on its mounting screws. Try some phone rubber under the pup itself, that can work wonders and is totally reversible. Best way is to take off pup still mounted in its ring. It may take e few tries to get the optimum amount of foam. Too little and it won't work. Too much and you can't get the ring back down.

sonar

Welcome.

One solution is a wax bath for the offending pickup.

Have you tried removing the cover?

Yelly

13.3K is about right for a 498. It is the 490 thats around 8K. BTW you can usually tell if Gibson have already potted (wax bath) the pup by tapping it and seeing if you get a dull thud (potted) or a ping.

boola1

Thanks for the suggestions, I got a chance to mess around today. As suggested, I tried pressing down on the cover which stopped the squealing.

I will try to work out if it's caused by vibrations on the mounting or the potting of the cover having failed, in which case it'll be wax bath time.

Thanks again for the help!

Here's a quick vid I made today of it in action. Some shoddy playing + crap camera but hopefully you can hear the qualities of this lovely guitar!

Cheers

Zentar

A Studio with SD Hot Rodded humbuckers is a radically better guitar than a Studio with 490/498

Yelly

If touching the pup with your finger stops the squealing, then foam under it will work.

boola1

If touching the pup with your finger stops the squealing, then foam under it will work.

It didn't unfortunately. I needed to press down reasonably hard on the pickup to stop it so it looks like a wax bath is in order!

Zentar

Check youtubes for wax potting microphonic pups

Last edited:

Monroe

It didn't unfortunately. I needed to press down reasonably hard on the pickup to stop it so it looks like a wax bath is in order!

Sometimes, potting the windings is not necessary to stop squeal. Many times it's the cover causing the squeal.
When a pickup gets wax-potted, the wax not only envelops the windings, but also fills any gap between the bobbins and cover.
If touching it stops the squeal, try pulling the cover. If that fixes it, leave it off or put it back on correctly.
Do a google search for humbucking cover installation.
Some like to use double-sided tape between the bobbins and the cover, some use a small bead of RTV (silicone),
or a combination of tape and silicone, etc.

addisj

498s are a lot hotter than a PAF style pickup/ Classic 57/ Burstbucker/ 490 so you will need a fair bit less gain. They are usually already potted but you can get microphone if the whole pickup is free to vibrate on its mounting screws. Try some phone rubber under the pup itself, that can work wonders and is totally reversible. Best way is to take off pup still mounted in its ring. It may take e few tries to get the optimum amount of foam. Too little and it won't work. Too much and you can't get the ring back down.

Your suggestion really helped me out so thanks for that (found it googling microphonic's)