• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your Best Concert Ever?

RocknRollShakeUp

Iggy Pop at the Glass House in Southern CA in the mid 90s...fucking legendary..I was right in the front, it was intense pandemonium, there was so much raw power being channeled that people were just freaking out, dancing like possessed savages, people trying to crowd walk, and stage divers coming at you incessantly from all directions of the stage like some goddam Kamikazes. I had a boot print on my chest and a torn suede leather jacket by the end of the show. I was fortunate not to have whiplash or some cranial or facial injury...performance wise Iggy Pop was absolutely sublime...he was a savage shaman channeling the fury and thunder of rocknroll..the intensity, the power, the killer songs, it was pure art...it was a rocknroll religious experience.

Black58

... oh, and of course, my first concert .. Ozzy, at the Brendan Byrne Arena, N.J., 1986 .. Metallica (with Cliff Burton) opened! It was INSANE! .... Something like $121,000 damage to the venue! :rofl

J.D.

Lot of good shows, jogged my memory a bit.

Saw Metallica in the '90s. Not my favorite band but they sure were well rehearsed. Ozzy with the Black Sabbath reunion was good, he's a great showman.

Saw Allman Brothers in the early '90s at a state fair. It was a bit odd in that the stage was setup in the infield of a dirt circle track, and seating was in the stands, with the safety fence in between. Unfortunately I don't remember much else of that show LOL. Did see Dickey and Great Southern years later, which was pretty good.

Primus was an excellent band live, incredibly tight. Les Claypool absolutely floored me.

Saw the Grateful Dead's last show in Chicago before we lost Jerry. First and only one I've seen. Recall being absolutely bored to tears with the band but not with the crowd. I've never seen so many people on drugs and into the lifestyle at the same time, before or since.

deytookerjaabs

I hesitate to say "best" but I was a fan/student of the whole zep catalog back in high school getting to see this concert was the ****:

since we expected new material going in, but it was zep tunes one after another pretty much all night, the crowd was nuts. I know, ain't the same, but still...

But, my most spine tingling live moments were usually at small jazz jams or shows watching heavy hitters from generations almost past tear the music down.

Wizard1183

I’d say Black Sabbath 1999. Saw them 2x afterwards in 01 and 03. All 4 original memebers of course.

lonesomesheik

Dijon, france, autumn 74', a little local "Jazz Club" had booked Freddie King & Muddy Waters for the same night, almost a parish room affair, with about 200 straw chairs, at the end of the show the two bands played together, everyody was up on their chair & I had the job to translate each song in one word for a non english speaking friend of mine.That's the one for me!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Stray Cats in the 80’s after Rock This Town came out. A truly amazing guitar performance by Brian Setzer.

As weird as this might sound I went to see Aha at the Fox Theater in Detroit in the 80’s as a sort of required outing with my girlfriend and they were shocking good live. I expected to hate the show and ended up impressed. They are great musicians.

The best live guitar instrumental I saw was Steve Howe doing an extended guitar instrumental with Asia.

renderit

The most memorable one was Johnny Winter. Foghat (I think, Foghat or Peter Frampton opened so much in Binghamton in the 70's I lose track) came out and played an hour of pretty decent but 'I've heard it so many times it's boring' stuff and then out comes Johnny with an acoustic and that steel snake around his neck. He proceeded to play solo slide with the tail of said snake so skillfully he made the previous band look like a total amateur hour.

This HAD to be recorded at one of the shows I saw, though I'm PRETTY sure the picture ain't from there. It was also called the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena at the time. Not the Coliseum.

LeonC

My two favorite rock concerts were both Fleetwood Mac. Saw them twice within 6 months back in '68/69. First time was the "original" lineup with Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin. Second time, Green was gone and Christine Perfect had just joined the band and they covered a lot of the material from Kiln House.

But they were amazingly dynamic, enthusiastic and really, really into it! Fleetwood was like a freaking clock, his meter was so on it. Kirwin and Green played so well together. Especially on the long improvisational stuff they did like Rattle Snake Shake, Searching for Madge, Black Magic Woman, Oh Well. Just friggin amazing. And when they'd let Jeremy Spencer come up front and do his Elmore James thing, it was just magical. Here you had this little angelic face belting out the gut-bucket blues. Amazing. I remember a wall of Fender amps.

When Christine joined the band, Danny really stepped up his game. His playing on Jewel Eyed Judy and Station Man was so intense and the feeling he put into it...just knocked me out. Both times, the band was just so professional, warm and enthusiastic. Just loved watching them interact with eachother.

I saw lots of great shows back them...Hendrix, Cream, early Jethro Tull, Rod Stewart and the Small Faces, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Mountain, Free, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, on and on...but FM...they were the best IMO.

Drzguy

George Harrison and Eric Clapton together in Tokyo in '92. Played "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - could have died a happy man that night after hearing that. :hank:hank

Zentar

Late 70s Rod Stewart with Ron Wood and Jesse Ed Davis on guitars. Those two guitarists were amazing.
I have never been able to find any recordings with those two backing Stewart.
Davis is an underrated player

Dave P

I've got 2, since I can't decide which one was the best...
1A: Larry Carlton during the On Solid Ground tour at the Fine Line in Mpls. He played 2 shows and I was at both. The first show he was absolutely on fire and blew me (and the 2 friends that were with me) away, made a huge impact on me that I'll never forget. The 2nd show he played a bunch of boring acoustic elevator music. I've seen him since then, but he never played again like he did during that first Fine Line show.

1B: Eric Gales opening for a local R&B band (wtf???). Eric came out and literally burned the stage to the ground. :wow Made me rethink everything I was doing on guitar. I felt bad for the other band that had to go onstage after that. :hee

Drzguy

1B: Eric Gales opening for a local R&B band (wtf???). Eric came out and literally burned the stage to the ground. :wow Made me rethink everything I was doing on guitar. I felt bad for the other band that had to go onstage after that. :hee[/QUOTE]

Eric Gales is one of the best guitarists I've ever seen - when he's on fire he's amazing!

Too many to list so I'll give you my top three.

Eagles - History Of The Eagles 2013 Tour - St. Louis, MO
AC/DC - Rock Or Bust Tour 2016 Tour - St. Louis, MO
Guns N' Roses - Not In This Lifetime 2017 Tour - St. Louis, MO

Dave P

1B: Eric Gales opening for a local R&B band (wtf???). Eric came out and literally burned the stage to the ground. :wow Made me rethink everything I was doing on guitar. I felt bad for the other band that had to go onstage after that. :hee

Eric Gales is one of the best guitarists I've ever seen - when he's on fire he's amazing![/QUOTE]

Yes, he is a bad ass.

Progear

Pink Floyd, the wall tour
McCartney
Live
our own JB in Hersey, Pa... 2 row.. it was damn pound and I love it..