• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Marauder Bridge Pickups

Grog

I ran into a couple Marauder bridge pickups & bought them for a project guitar I may build. I was trying to determine if they were stacked humbuckers or single coils. Looking up information on the web, there seems to be no definite answer. I've seen info right off the Gibson site listing them as both & many other threads listing them both ways.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3940/gibson-marauder-m-1/

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...in-the-70s-the-gibson-marauder-0725-2012.aspx

I'm leaning towards single coils though I was hoping for stacked humbuckers. Does anybody know for sure??

RJLII

I have one of those bridge pickups and always assumed it was just a big honkin single coil. It's been in my parts box for 30 years. Everything I've read recently suggests it's a humbucker. All the demos I've heard of it sound like a Broadcaster pickup on steroids.

Grog

There is an earlier see through version on eBay now, (mine are black). It sure looks like a single coil from the side view.

I bought a copy of "Guitar Electronics for Musicians" by Donald Brosnac years ago. it has schematics for many of my old Gibson. It shows it to be a single coil also.

It was suppose to be three times more powerful than similar pickups at the time.

Last edited:

KarstenS

I have one of those bridge pickups and always assumed it was just a big honkin single coil. It's been in my parts box for 30 years. Everything I've read recently suggests it's a humbucker. All the demos I've heard of it sound like a Broadcaster pickup on steroids.

Just bought a modded Marauder. Would like to buy your bridge pickup.