• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Standard Historics - How to tell if they are Hand Picked?

latestarter

Ren, those are fantastic looking guitars! The black top 54 is especially lust-inducing!!! Thanks for the photos!

renderit

Ren, those are fantastic looking guitars! The black top 54 is especially lust-inducing!!! Thanks for the photos!

The black top red back is '55.

The black top brown back is '56.

A little confusing the way I posted.

latestarter

The black top red back is '55.

The black top brown back is '56.

A little confusing the way I posted.

I'm with you now...looking on a big screen helps. Should you need to move that along, drop me a line!

Sethp90

As stated above, wood being hand-selected, but then isn't all wood hand-selected, even if it is just the next piece of wood in the pile?
Tone is the most important thing to me, and I'm sure to a lot of players here as well.
While everyone loves a pretty face, there has to be more to it then that for me. ;)

I don’t know the phrase hand picked, but I have bought more than one LP with a case brochure (Black, vertical tri fold) that has a hand print on it and says “Hand Selected”. It usually says it was selected by a certain dealer (Japanese in my experience). In both instances the only significance of the HSed wood was the type which was Hard Rock Maple which some have said adds brightness and others say rounds out the upper frequencies! Who knows though- so many variables. Maybe one day there will be a breakthrough in Chaos theory and we can unlock the mystery of guitar tone!