• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - R8 Coverburst - Hand Picked Top

Francis

I've finally done it :peace2:peace2:peace2
After I played some R8s a few weeks ago I returned to the dealer yesterday and tried a few more. Once again, I was stuck with the very same guitar that sounded and played incredible, but had a top I didn't really cherish. Nontheless, after looking at it for some time I started to like it more and more.
It's a handpicked top by the Customshop guy at Thomann (in Germany), who I was able to talk to while trying the guitars. After sleeping for a night and opening the case this morning I finally even fell in love with the looks of the guitar.
The color is Coverburst, inspired by the Les Paul on the cover of BOTB. I find the back really appealing, too. It sounds so good that I am definitely going to sell my Traditional as there is no way it could keep up with the R8.
Not exactly dark, but very interesting fingerboard...
I tried to color correct the images so it looks as realistic as possible.
So here it is :)

LesPaulR8_20170105--50
LesPaulR8_20170105--5
LesPaulR8_20170105--31
LesPaulR8_20170105--21
LesPaulR8_20170105--9

corpse

I think that top has tremendous character and will age nicely- it has "old friend' written all over it...
Until the next pretty face comes along of course. I hope you enjoy it!

renderit

That is gorgeous! I would have bought that one in a heartbeat! 10 out of 10 for a 58 in my book!

badmisfortune

I personally LOVE that top, and the board is exactly the kind that blows up my skirt as well. Throw in beautiful color and if she plays anything like she looks, I don't see how you could have done better.

Congrats!

thunderkyss

I'm not a big flame top guy, but I agree, the flame, the grain, the color... that's beautiful. & the back... I don't think I could have passed on it the first time.

dretot

Ausgezeichnet! Nice grain, subtle flame and a beautiful color!

Big Al

You bought it for the right reasons, IMO, and I personally love the look and vibe. That you say it is a player and tone machine makes it extra special in my book. The kicker for me is that GORGEOUS BEAUTIFUL quarter sawn top quality East Indian Fretboard!!!! You did well my friend!!!:hank:yah:salude

Midnight Blues

Nice! Congrats, HNGD
jam.gif
and play her in good health!

Francis

I'm not a big flame top guy, but I agree, the flame, the grain, the color... that's beautiful. & the back... I don't think I could have passed on it the first time.
Haha. Yes I love the way she looks, too. I think the reason I wasn't that pleased with it the first time was that I simply had the image of the "usual" flame in my mind (esp. as there where a lot of quite flamy "plaintop" R8s).

You bought it for the right reasons, IMO, and I personally love the look and vibe. That you say it is a player and tone machine makes it extra special in my book. The kicker for me is that GORGEOUS BEAUTIFUL quarter sawn top quality East Indian Fretboard!!!! You did well my friend!!!:hank:yah:salude
Yes, playability and tone were the reasons I bought her. I'm not a collector but own my guitars for playing them at home and live, so I don't choose them by looks (at least not as No.1 criterion). If I have time I will post a few more images of the fretboard tomorrow, the stripes get even more prominent towards the nut.

BTW, any suggestions for a name?

Also with the new Les Paul in the house I'm not so sure the JVM is the perfect amp for me. Especially because the amps I played at the dealer cleaned of very nice with this guitar when messing with the volume pots. So I'll maybe go for something simpler in terms of channels, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Victory Sheriff amps?

rockabilly69

To me guitars are like women, you really only see the beauty in them, when you find one you really like. Congrats on finding one you really like.

Fenderaddict2

I've finally done it :peace2:peace2:peace2
After I played some R8s a few weeks ago I returned to the dealer yesterday and tried a few more. Once again, I was stuck with the very same guitar that sounded and played incredible, but had a top I didn't really cherish. Nontheless, after looking at it for some time I started to like it more and more.
It's a handpicked top by the Customshop guy at Thomann (in Germany), who I was able to talk to while trying the guitars. After sleeping for a night and opening the case this morning I finally even fell in love with the looks of the guitar.
The color is Coverburst, inspired by the Les Paul on the cover of BOTB. I find the back really appealing, too. It sounds so good that I am definitely going to sell my Traditional as there is no way it could keep up with the R8.
Not exactly dark, but very interesting fingerboard...
I tried to color correct the images so it looks as realistic as possible.
So here it is :)

LesPaulR8_20170105--50
LesPaulR8_20170105--5
LesPaulR8_20170105--31
LesPaulR8_20170105--21
LesPaulR8_20170105--9
Pretty damn near perfect to me, although I'd add the pickguard.

Red Rogue

Glückwunsch! Gut gemacht!
Nice and not over the top looks!
Will you install the pickguard?

I only know the JVM from YT Videos. Maybe you`re looking for an Amp with a softer response (Tube Recitifier). What about a JTM45 or Fender Princeton?