• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Metal Truss Rod Covers

Tragg

Does anyone know where the metal truss rod covers that occasionally appear on vintage Gibsons originate? They appear to be after market and were often engraved and personalised. I have seen them on Gibsons from the 30s through the 50s - though they could have been fitted several years - or even decades after the guitar left the factory. Perhaps you have come across an ad for one of these in an old music magazine?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Those were aftermarket, and sold under the name Mono-Plak. I think they go back to the 50s, and were still offered as late as 1970.
Here's two ads [priced from$3 to $5].

DSCN4072.JPG

DSCN4075.JPG

And, believe it or not, I actually have one with your name on it!!!! :wow

DSCN4074.JPG

:ganz

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I want one with "Your Name" on it! That is SO COOOOOL!

A buddy gave me that a little over a year ago. :salude
Must be a salesman's sample. I have seen a few blank ones on guitars, but I have not seen these for sale in modern times.

Kevin L.

Does anyone know where the metal truss rod covers that occasionally appear on vintage Gibsons originate? They appear to be after market and were often engraved and personalised. I have seen them on Gibsons from the 30s through the 50s - though they could have been fitted several years - or even decades after the guitar left the factory. Perhaps you have come across an ad for one of these in an old music magazine?

Tragg,are you looking for one? I believe I've go tseveral packed away somewhere.

renderit

Cus I'm in 'da Sout and I likem Bluzz I needs "Yo Name" on one.

Good Wood

Albeit not the same as those nor vintage, there are several sources for custom engraved truss rod covers.

I had one made for a friend in a trophy store. I brought a trc as a template and they provided the material and the engraving.

Many places in the US offer some in plastic material. You can also order some in aluminum from Aliexpress from china. Although you probably won't receive it for Christmas this year.:hee :couch

Alternatively you can order chrome or gold plated metal trc's from somewhere and have them custom engraved in your town.

Maxmc

Funny that this thread pops up. I just finished watching "Welcome to Nerdville" which finishes with our man JB showing his 59 V with its custom truss rod cover.

Big Daddy Class

I realize I am recycling a ghost thread--but for the record, these are still available to purchase.

http://mono-plak.com/

Careful about the sizes. There is historic and modern sizes so make sure you measure...

jrgtr42

There's also a company that has apparantly paired with the various manufacturers to supply wood parts for Gibson, among others -
Thalia Capos.
I don't have any connection with the company, nor any experience other than the posts that always come over my Facebook feed, but they look pretty cool.