• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Silver Jubilee help

jlh

I am looking for the 50 watt Silver Jubilee head.
They seem hard to find therefore I am also looking for advice and opinions on this amp.
I see Ceriatone makes a clone, 2550, any thoughts? It looks nice
50 watt vs 100 watt?
reissue vs original?
I am sure this has been discussed, however with some new releases (2525) I am gassing for a silver Jub.
I like the thought of the 2525 but do not like the small size (box) of that amp
Thanks for reading and help if you can

Xpensive Wino

I am looking for the 50 watt Silver Jubilee head.
They seem hard to find therefore I am also looking for advice and opinions on this amp.
I see Ceriatone makes a clone, 2550, any thoughts? It looks nice
50 watt vs 100 watt?
reissue vs original?
I am sure this has been discussed, however with some new releases (2525) I am gassing for a silver Jub.
I like the thought of the 2525 but do not like the small size (box) of that amp
Thanks for reading and help if you can

Here's one: https://reverb.com/item/3200332-1987-marshall-2550-silver-jubilee-rare-grlc1932

They are easy to find if you have the patience (and cash). :salude

AA00475Bassman

The originals are great amps ,IMO why would you buy a clone when you can obtain the real thing at a reasonable price .

Disclaimer , is the clone point to point , if it does not have a PCB how can it be a clone ? Would we consider a 1974 with a PCB a 18 watt clone. IMO this clone title is very loosely defined.

Roeletti

The original amps are indeed great! And before the Reissue's where out, you could find one for 1000-1200 euro. Which was less than a reissue jcm 800.

But as of the question:
When you get a new and old Marshall Silver jubilee and compair them. No 2 amps (especially these) sound the same. But as a generally, you could say that the new ones have way more punch, gain en flexible controls. But the old one has a little more vibe to it, little mild in attack and the cleans aren't as clean anymore.

As far as wattage goes, 50 is still to much for almost all of us. The difference in volume from a 100/50 watter and a 50-25 watter, is not as much as you might think.
I'll always choose the 50/25 because they compresses a little earlier than the bigger ones. But if you like more pre-amp gain, and headroom for you're pedals, go with 100/50.

As far as the clone goes. I have no idea how they sound. I'm not a fan of clones, if the originals are good (and where cheap) to begin with. But the Ceriatone might have some mods you like? Go check m out if you can! You might really like it, you might not...

Hope it helps with you're quest of tone :spabout

Roeletti

I forgot!

As a cheaper Marshall alternative, check out the Jcm 800 2205 From 81-83. Later versions get loads of gain and a harsh top-end.

These amps cost almost next to nothing, and are in essence a early jcm 800 with more gain, more flexible bass en treble control. And has a couple nice features, tube driven fx loop, tube driven sping reverb tank and a clean channel.

It doesn't sound like a Silver jubilee, but it's very close for the money.

grimlyflick

I have a 2553 small box 50/25 watt stack I would part with.

I wouldn’t, I wish I’d never sold mine.
:dang

I had an original 2553 small box and a Slash in the past and now own a 2525H. I definately think the new amp is brighter and has more gain. It’s a great amp though, just a bit more flexible as it does more than it’s older counterparts.
:salude

Tonekat

Has anyone tried the Lerxt amps that are based on Silver Jubilees?

PixelBurst

You can hear different versions of this circuit in this video. I'd try to score an original if possible. After that I'd go Ceriatone. They make very high quality clones and the workmanship is better than many USA boutique amps I've owned. The wiring is tight and super clean.

Iguana

+1 I bought a used Ceriatone 2555 a few months ago. It’s well made and sounds great! Loud too.
If you evaluate your amps with your ears and not your eyes the Ceriatone is worth a listen.