• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Recommend P90's

Kojoflo

I've got a project going on, want to gut a gold top and put in some P90's. I want real abrasive bark. I've been recommended Bare knuckles supermassive P90's. Anyone got any others to have a look at?

renderit

Call Jon (Mr. Thrōbak). He can wind them any way you want. He fixed my Collings City Limits. Took it from pretty to a beautiful woody little monster using his set made for Specials. He knew what I needed by talking to me. He knows his chit.

Zentar

Try the 1st one made: Gibson P90s. Everything else is a copy of these. I have a set in both a solid body and hollowbody. Yea they bark.
Also I like the Kent Armstrong P90. I really like these. They were a real surprise and an accidental discovery. Plus they cost half what Gibby P90s cost yet they are for real.

Big Al

If I need more grunt, bark or growl, I find an amp or pedal that'll make that happen.

thejaf

I put some SD "Hot P90s" in a 70s Deluxe a while ago, and they were just as you described. Clear but also fat, bold, and hairy. I so want another Les Paul with P90 cavities just to have another one of these pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/hot-p90-bridge

fred dons

I'm a big fan of Ron Thorn's staples, I have several sets but the one set in my Hamer studio really shows how good it is, that guitar has a seymour duncan p90 in the bridge position and the Thorn in the neck and I used to like the bridge pickup but it sound thin and whimpy in comparison
they are not as deep as regular staples, just the normal p90 dimensions
http://www.thornguitars.com/gt90pu-htm/gt90pu.htm

gmann

Try Wolfetones Mean/Meaner or Meaner/Meanest set. These will do it. After that it's up to the amp.

captainvideo

I picked up a used R4 two months ago that has Van Zandt P-90s. They sound killer, just like East-West.
I've also heard the the stock ones get the job done too.

TM1

Try the 1st one made: Gibson P90s. Everything else is a copy of these. I have a set in both a solid body and hollowbody. Yea they bark.
Also I like the Kent Armstrong P90. I really like these. They were a real surprise and an accidental discovery. Plus they cost half what Gibby P90s cost yet they are for real.

Well the big problem there is Gibson does Not make P-90's like they did in the `50's or `60's. ThroBak's are the ones! That's what I have in my R-4

flatdream

I go with the Mojo pickups (uk) now. I love it.
I used to have Amalfitanos they are really good too but very hot. Like a texas special P90.
Staples are great too if you like more crispiness and definition.