• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

6V6 mechanical noise

trmckn

I have the same issue with my 65Amps Monterey 2x12 combo. Definitely power tube rattling. But the odd part is that every power tube that I try in the thing rattles. And the odder part is that I can take these "rattley" tubes out of this amp and put them in other combos that I have and they are quiet as a church mouse. I admit that I gave up fairly quickly with mechanical solutions, but the few I tried didn't help.

I don't remember the details, but 65Amps brags about non-standard circuit topology and biasing tricks to get the sound that they get. Is it possible that there is something in the way that the tubes are driven that make them more susceptible to this?

Great amp otherwise...and I usually play it in a band setting, so it's not a super big deal for me. It's very annoying though playing it solo.

B Ingram

I have the same issue with my 65Amps Monterey 2x12 combo. Definitely power tube rattling. ... I can take these "rattley" tubes out of this amp and put them in other combos that I have and they are quiet as a church mouse. ... I gave up fairly quickly with mechanical solutions, but the few I tried didn't help. ...

Well that sucks... Sounds like the best solution is "don't own a 65Amps combo with horizontal tubes".

The tube sockets otherwise grip the tubes tightly? Do the output tubes require a bit of circular rocking to remove them from the sockets?

... 65Amps brags about non-standard circuit topology and biasing tricks to get the sound that they get. Is it possible that there is something in the way that the tubes are driven that make them more susceptible to this? ...

I can't think of any plausible way the electrical operation of a tube would make it more prone to mechanical rattling. Otherwise the same amps in head format would also exhibit the same rattling.

And in the bigger scheme of things, there's nothing particularly groundbreaking in the 65Amps designs I've seen. They're just doing something other than the typical Fender/Marshall copies.

latestarter

Marshall springs could be a good idea. I'll check out the chassis for fit.

latestarter

I tried some GE 6V6 coin base tubes int he Tupelo...no rattles. However, not the same big bottom end sound and a slightly more pronounced mid range, so no-go. JJ's do sound really good int his amp. Those GE's are great in Fender amps BTW.

So, back to the idea of retaining springs.

latestarter

Necro thread dredge.

I need to take a different approach I think. I still have this issue with my Tupelo. The JJ’s are just too rattly in this combo (and even in my little Supro 1605R - same thing). Other brands do not rattle, but do not have the big bottom end and clear highs that the JJ’s do. At least in the ones I have tried.

So here’s my question - what modern (or old for that matter) 6V6 tubes sound like the JJ’s to you? Those of you that have played JJ’s through a high end amp will know what I’m on about...they have own thing going on and it’s great...but their physical design is not up to the strains of being in a combo.

ourmaninthenorth

I know it's (re)stating the obvious Grant, but your options appear to be a) flog the combo and buy another head. b) convert the combo to a head - were 65 forthcoming with your request? or, c) have an amp with valves that are quiet that you don't really like the sound of.

Seems like a right royal pain in the arse, you must really love these amps.

FWIW I've always loved the big bottle BVA 6v6's from the usual suspects, and never experienced a peep of noise out of any of them, all vertically mounted mind you.

Hope you get sorted.

latestarter

Thanks for the reply. I did buy a head but it didn’t sound as good as my combo did...dammit. I suppose I could take the chassis out of this one and flip it up...but the amp gets big real quick. I already struggle to fit my gear in the car for gigs.

one thing I haven’t tried is the rubber ring. I’m guessing the rattle still occurs but the glass isn’t allowed to ring out.

ill check out those tubes - big bottle sound is what I’m after ( and the JJs deliver).

sonar

Necro thread dredge.

So here’s my question - what modern (or old for that matter) 6V6 tubes sound like the JJ’s to you? Those of you that have played JJ’s through a high end amp will know what I’m on about...they have own thing going on and it’s great...but their physical design is not up to the strains of being in a combo.

In my experience none. The JJ sounds more like the old JAN Phillips 6L6WGB than a true 6V6, and even then they clip a little differently than the WGB's.

Over the years I've run 4 duets pretty hard in my Princeton Reverb clone. The first set lasted about a year and a half developing hum, second set a few solid years of rough use developing rattle in the end, the third duet had rattle right out of the box and the last set are a few months old and still going. They are what they are.

latestarter

Agree, they do sound like those Philips 6L6, but a little sweeter in break up to my ears.

I guess I will keep trying different things. Some JJ’s don’t rattle but it’s a crap shoot and I haven’t got the time. The best alternative right now is probably the Tung Sol...not the same, but might have to do.

sonar

New Tung Sol's sound pretty good and (shockingly) like a true 6V6. I have read and been told that they do not handle higher plate voltages, so they're mostly relegated to my Tweed Deluxe clone.

ourmaninthenorth

I wonder if the military CV valves...CV509, CV511 with their more "robust" construction may give you a possible avenue of research, perhaps precluding the need for silicon rings and retainer clips ?

I'll be honest Grant I just don't know if they'll provide the solution.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa1540.htm

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0038.htm

A quick mooch round on ebay puts NOS British made Brimar CV511's ( small enclosure ) at £45 gbp.

And big bottle CV509's, again NOS Brimar, coming in at £56 gbp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V6GT-CV...m3fc1a040b0:g:AHYAAOSwmoFczCCe&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV509-6V...634403?hash=item56c401b7e3:g:N00AAOSwK2JcueAc

latestarter

I wonder if the military CV valves...CV509, CV511 with their more "robust" construction may give you a possible avenue of research, perhaps precluding the need for silicon rings and retainer clips ?

I'll be honest Grant I just don't know if they'll provide the solution.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa1540.htm

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0038.htm

A quick mooch round on ebay puts NOS British made Brimar CV511's ( small enclosure ) at £45 gbp.

And big bottle CV509's, again NOS Brimar, coming in at £56 gbp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V6GT-CV...m3fc1a040b0:g:AHYAAOSwmoFczCCe&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV509-6V...634403?hash=item56c401b7e3:g:N00AAOSwK2JcueAc

You're a good man, thanks for doing the leg work! I'll check these out.
Cheers!

latestarter

Related story. I use a Supro 1605R for office jamming and small gigs/jams. I love it but it had a JJ that rattled like hell.

Replaced it last night with a 1950's Silvertone coke bottle 6V6GT that measures "Good" and a "7" on my Orange tester. WOW. I was expecting some loss of bottom end or something....but no, the amp has gained from the exchange. And the rattle is gone. Gives me hope indeed.

latestarter

My closing piece on this thread.

After many tube swaps in the Tupelo the JJ 6V6’s are without a doubt the best suited tubes. They sound sound big, throaty, bold and have an extended range. Their overdrive character is as good as any tube of any variety I’ve heard. My enjoyment of the amp is greatly enhanced when using them.

As had been suggested earlier I have tried some rubber rings around the tubes as dampeners. I can hear no loss of anything with the exception of the annoying rattle. I therefore can close this case and suggest to all who are struggling with the rattle noise from the JJ designed 6V6’s to try the rubber rings. Worked for me.

end.

Don

I guess this would be a postscript...

My brand new Dr. Z Cure came with JJ 6V6 power tubes with o-rings on them. No rattles. I need to try some on my Princeton Reverb and tweed Deluxe clones.