• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I think my 2006 Gibson Les Paul Supreme is fake

mariushoog

From what I can see on your pictures none of the obvious and less obvious "fake" indicators are there and overall it looks pretty legit to me. Your concerns with the serial # can be easily solved by contacting Gibson's Customer service.

thunderkyss

Help me understand what's going on here.

Covered is posting screenshots from his phone because he can't figure out how to post pics from his phone?

That can't be right can it?

horsefear

Hey y'all,
registered to reply on this thread. hope it's allright if I ask a question here.

I can pick up a guitar that looks to be a LP Supreme for dirt cheap here, but I believe it's a fake. Its an Autumn Burst with the split inlays. The only Autumn Bursts I can find are from a special run with an ebony board and no inlays. Any ideas? I've asked the seller for a serial. Will provide that when I get it.
Cheers!

supreme1.jpgsupreme2.jpgsupreme3.jpg

Zentar

Hey y'all,
registered to reply on this thread. hope it's allright if I ask a question here.

I can pick up a guitar that looks to be a LP Supreme for dirt cheap here, but I believe it's a fake. Its an Autumn Burst with the split inlays. The only Autumn Bursts I can find are from a special run with an ebony board and no inlays. Any ideas? I've asked the seller for a serial. Will provide that when I get it.
Cheers!

View attachment 9012View attachment 9013View attachment 9014

Looks real. Check the frets for wear and the headstock/neck joint for repair.

brandtkronholm

Hey y'all,

Cheers!

Hmmmm....
I think more and better pictures would be helpful.
+1 on the earlier bridge comment.
The fretboard doesn't appear to be ebony.
The inlays appear to be poorly done, the fifth fret in particular; the diagonal looks different than what one usually finds.
But again, more pictures would be helpful. It is difficult to make a call with just the three pictures provided.

Big Al

If it's fake the 400 inlays, 2 screw trc and Supreme emblem would be enough to fool me.

The fact that you say it's real pretty much proves it's not. How you can so consistently jump up with false facts, voodoo science and these quick false judgements is bordering on psychological compulsion.

Better pics would help, butI see enough to indicate a Chinese forgery. Take a good look at the headstock as well as the other points raised.

Big Al

Was sup Big Al? LOL!

My pain level.:laugh2:

Give a good look at the model inlay on the headstock. Agreed the pics could be better, but like every fake Supreme it is too blue and appears to lack the brass continental globe inlay and looks like the Chibsons "outed" in a previous thread. Awful brown ebony? Metric bridge and cloudy burst would negate correct tailpiece/control placement and truss cover, which has been the case on better chibson fakes lately. Maybe needs a second look?

horsefear

Thanks for thinking with me, y'all!
I agree with most arguments why it's probably a fake.
Another dead giveaway (to me) is the fact that the seller tells me that the serial number confirms it's a proper USA built Gibson, but wont send me a picture of the serial number.
If he comes up with more pictures I'll post them, but for me currently this case feels closed.

El Gringo

The fact that you say it's real pretty much proves it's not. How you can so consistently jump up with false facts, voodoo science and these quick false judgements is bordering on psychological compulsion.

Better pics would help, butI see enough to indicate a Chinese forgery. Take a good look at the headstock as well as the other points raised.
The Gibson logo on the front of the headstock bugs me as it seems a little on the low side to me !

El Gringo

Thanks for thinking with me, y'all!
I agree with most arguments why it's probably a fake.
Another dead giveaway (to me) is the fact that the seller tells me that the serial number confirms it's a proper USA built Gibson, but wont send me a picture of the serial number.
If he comes up with more pictures I'll post them, but for me currently this case feels closed.
Good , trust your gut !

Bloodspoint

Hey y'all,

Cheers!

That one, unfortunately, is a fake. There are probably more "tells" in areas you didn't show, like the side of the neck near the nut, and the back of the neck at the headstock, but the import bridge is enough.