• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Speed Knobs Vs Top Hats?

renderit

Will there be any noticable effect on tone when cutting said magnet in half to reduce weight ?

Yes. Your tone will never go over 5 and your volume over 4.875. But if you drill out the bottoms of your knobs you won't know where they are anyway so you'll have that going for you...

El Gringo

Yes. Your tone will never go over 5 and your volume over 4.875. But if you drill out the bottoms of your knobs you won't know where they are anyway so you'll have that going for you...
for the life of me i can't tell when you are kidding or not (no disrespect intended)

AA00475Bassman

Love my speed nobs on my R4 , Love top hats R8s , and then my foil's on my 60s , now that you bring up nobs i really really miss my witch hat's ! Could be just the time of year ?

GotTheSilver

I prefer top hats. Never liked the look of speed knobs. But then, BB King liked speed knobs, and I can't argue with anything that man did!

In the end , I would go with whatever was original to sell the guitar.

Axis39

I like witch hats the best... the little bit of texture on the barrel has always made it easier to roll them with a finger.

i have never really cared for speed knobs.... but, on my main LP, a Custom Lite, the speed knobs complete the 'Custom' look. I switched out the pots for CTS and the reduced tension makes them useable.

my secondary LP, a 50's Tribute, has top hats.... I think I need to swap pots, if I keep this one for too long.

renderit

Ewwwww! Witch Hats are the ugliest, cheapest looking pieces of junk ever made! Ewwwww! I hope you are joking! I am still wiping my tongue with a napkin! Ewwwwww! I'll take Tophats, Speed Knobs, or Reflectors, they all look classy! But Witch Hats? Ewwwwww! Style police! Arrest that man! Nasty!