• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My First Vintage Guitar Les Paul Jr

AA00475Bassman

Great vibe on your great looking JR !

Disclaimer , The grain on the fret board is stellar , plug that thang into something really loud ,,,,,,, Enjoy !

David J

Great vibe on your great looking JR !

Disclaimer , The grain on the fret board is stellar , plug that thang into something really loud ,,,,,,, Enjoy !

Thanks! It's got some mojo.

I've been cranking it through my 100 watt Glaswerks Zingaro. I should do a new amp day on that even though I've had it for about 8 months now.

Arch D. Bunker

That's the early guard before they added the extra screw. Absolutely correct. I've seen them with the bonnet knobs as well. No issues with either one of those. :salude

Yes - bonnet knobs on '61 Jrs until around sn 30,000, afterwards the reflectors. The '61/2 Gibson catalog also shows a Jr with bonnets.

We've been there before - but TW does not seem to be convinced.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ean-61-LP-jr&p=1710795&viewfull=1#post1710795

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?197072-Black-bonnet-knobs-on-a-61-Junior&p=2658539&viewfull=1#post2658539

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

David J

I'm still curious about the bumblebee cap. Is it original to the guitar or is it a recent addition?

Does it have a case?

In any event, it looks like a super fun guitar.

I spoke with the previous owner yesterday. He had this guitar for about 20 years and gigged with it often. He did not change any of the electronics and believe they are original. The only change he made was adding the Grovers.

He told me he had the old headstock repair redone by The Lutherie Shop here in Des Moines. He also mentioned that they had posted pictures of the repair on their website. I looked it up and the project photos are still on the site. Check it out...its pretty interesting. Here's the link:
http://www.thelutherieshop.com/lespauljr/index.htm :salude

montesada

The repair work is incredible... up to the point where they restamped the number.

marshall1987

Nice value in a entry level vintage guitar. :salude Killer looking Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard too!

Daytripper67

13.jpg
:dangOuch...

K701

It looks like great fun. I'd love to have a Jnr like that. Enjoy!

With regards to the LP sig logo; were Gibson always particular in placement, say compared to Fender who seemed to slap them on willy nilly?

David J

It looks like great fun. I'd love to have a Jnr like that. Enjoy!

With regards to the LP sig logo; were Gibson always particular in placement, say compared to Fender who seemed to slap them on willy nilly?

It really is a fun guitar to play. The interaction between pickup and volume knob is really good.

I haven't seen one with the LP logo that low.

K701

It really is a fun guitar to play. The interaction between pickup and volume knob is really good.

This sounds interesting. Would you be able to expand a bit on this interaction? I'm hoping to pick up some tips :hank

hogy

I'm seeing a very well done laminate over the entire back of the headstock, down into the neck area. It's visible in this shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/groovevue/29629794170/

It looks to me like the headstock was well broke, in many places...and someone did a great job in fixing it. The laminate (almost a scarf joint look to it) has been well matched.

This explains the lack of wings.

The front was refinished and new decals put on, I'm guessing. The headstock shape is fine...just the decal throws the look.

Everything else looks right.

That's what I'm seeing anyway.

I see the same things. Extremely well done repair by a non-AVH (do we still use that term?) repair guy. A proper AVH would have cut the headstock after repair and grafted on new wings. And paid more attention to logo placement, etc.

That is an honest, competently repaired old Junior.

tuica

Thanks for the photos, info, and comments. Am learning much on this site.

Hiwatt Bob

To the OP, don't take it as negativity. It's your first vintage guitar and this is all valuable info that will inform your future purchases.