• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Check out this 8-string guitar played by Chris Buono

shred

Nice :dude:

Extended range guitars are pretty cool... I had a 7 for awhile after Meshuggah hit... What with AAL etc maybe it's time to revisit 'em :hmm

Dave P

Anyone here dig fanned frets? I have a lot of problems playing chords by the nut with extreme fanning, I think my fingers are too short, especially with 7 or 8 strings.

renderit

I'd just get a harp and out-tech him. Yes, he is goooood.

J T

Looks like he plays the lower strings separately from the upper strings. Kind of like a double neck guitar/bass combo on one fretboard.

Nice to see another Pigtronix Infinity looper user. I have one and it takes a little bit of learning, and pricey, but it works great.

renderit

Could be my speakers, but the bottom end on what he is playing is a little farty. Is anyone else getting that? I have pretty decent playthrough ampulators. I suspect his amp could cause that?

Dave P

That's one of the issues playing a 7 or 8 string, keeping the sound tight on the low strings. What works on a 6 doesn't always translate to a 7 or 8 string in my limited experience.

J T

That's why you have to use different compressors and DI on a separate signal/tracks for bass. Combining the upper and lower in one track is compounding the problem.

renderit

That's why you have to use different compressors and DI on a separate signal/tracks for bass. Combining the upper and lower in one track is compounding the problem.

I wondered about that. I would have split it and run a clean bottom end and dirty top myself. But the day I can play 1/1000 as good as him I guess some "Mary Had A Little Lamb" playing neophyte such as myself will loudly complain I sound farty...

QuirkyBurst

Very creative, and good technique!

Sounds quite a lot like a Chapman stick (albeit played with a plectrum) :3zone