• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Old Vibro Champ

sonar

The speaker is a replacement. Probably just some goofy speaker from the 80's with a huge square magnet.

Got an amp guy to get it up and running?

Don

Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend someone.

Wally

that speaker is an Eminence from the 47th week of 1984. You would want to know if it is a 4 ohm speaker, imho. IF it is, it might be good to go in the amp. good luck with it....nice amp to have.

sonar

I'm gonna look around for an amp guy tomorrow. Don't know much about them... Do you think it's worth putting any money into since the speaker has been replaced?

People often replace the original speakers with this era Vibro Champ. The value of the amp isn't drastically reduced.

Replacement speakers for Vibro Champs are usually pretty affordable. The speaker in there might also be okay if or when you get the amp running.

The bigger question are the components and if there's been any modding to the amp. A pic of the inside of the chassis (using proper safety precautions) would tell us a lot about the amp.

Don

Looks like an original, or very old, Mallory can cap.

Wally

Tech time. A fresh multisection cap can and a fresh bias cap might get the amp going again. I would not turn it on again before removing that start washer that is lying against V1. (;^) I also would not grab that washer with one hand while holding the chassis with the other hand. An insulated pair of needle-nose pliers would be a good tool there.....or a wooden chopstick might get it done for you.
the amp looks to be original but for that speaker....and the impedance of that speaker needs to be known. That amp does not want to see an 8 ohm load. IT is tech time....and the amp is worth the repair IF the repair is done properly.

Bob Womack

While you are in there, look for the date of the amp. They are usually dated and signed. Looks somewhere around '71 to me with the square power switch.

Bob

Wally

IF there are only 5 digits following that A in the serial number, then it is a 1971 amp. Good eye, Bob. There will be codes on the transformers, pots, and that multi-section can. The tranny codes are important in determining the value....originality still counts, in my book.

JeffBlue

That is a beautiful find. Get it recapped and checked over and you have a great tone machine. I did a 10 inch speaker mod on my Vibro Champ, and recently did a 3 prong power cord mod and changed out the output transformer.

Wally

IF one comes across a vintage Jensen P8RS, there is no reason to go to a 10" speaker. That P8RS makes the little Champ/VC amps much bigger.....

montesada

There's a lockwasher floating around by the bottom left tube in the photo. Get that out of there! Also the power fading out could easily just be bad a rectifier tube.

Wally

There's a lockwasher floating around by the bottom left tube in the photo. Get that out of there! Also the power fading out could easily just be bad a rectifier tube.

As noted in post #11.....let's hope it comes out before firing it up again, right?

mdubya

When my Champ was fading in and out it turned out to be a cracked tube socket. Super cool amp. I would find a good amp tech and fix it in a heartbeat.

Bob Womack

Get it checked out they are GREAT recording amps, I love my '69!
Yep. I keep my little '71 Champy at the studio where I work.

champy.jpg

Bob