• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Price Check on '65 Gibson SG - Player - Good Deal? Semi-Panic

lum

Hi Guys,

I'm calling for help out of a bit desperation and thereby ask to forgive me if I put this topic in the wrong sub-forum:

I'm about to buy a (supposingly) '65 SG Standard. The seller owns the SG since '75, the previous owner was a known german jazz musician (Eddy Marron).
He didn't play it in the meantime, it just fell off one time.

Issues:
- Headstock cracked because SG fell; this got glued profesionally 1986. (He even has the invoice)
- Trussrod and toggle-switch plate missing
- Maestro got replaced by fixed bridge

Serial numbers from the owner:
- headstock: 323782
- poti: C-BA-811-1053 500 KAT 137 63 ??

Attached you can see the pictures.

What do you make out of the headstock? (I have never seen it without the symbol underneath the label)
What is a good price for it? (I offered him 2.8k€ and felt I got lucky with it)

I will drive to him in 8 hours and am torn apart whether this is a good deal or not. This would be the personification of my grandfathers (little) heritage.
I'm looking for a player and the tone got the last word, but still I'm curious.

Please help me combined gibson knowledge!

Thanks in advance
lum

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

marshall1987

If the headstock was broken on that guitar I would also be concerned about the neck joint. I would pull the neck pickup and have a look at the neck tenon area to see if there are any breaks or repairs. Are the pickups original to the guitar? They don't appear the same.

What is your offer amount in U.S. dollars? Don't know about those Euros.......

lum

Hi,

thank you for the repliy so far. I'm very hesitant regarding the deal..

2,8k€ == ~3200 US Dollar

Yes I'm wondering about the headstock too but the owner hasn't played this thing much nor has he replaced anything after he bought it in 1975 (and I trust him on that, we talked 5 times now.. )
You also have to keep in mind the photos are very bad; Both pickups look the same but I can't confirm any authenticity.

And nah, I don't buy it for its manufacturing year but because I'm looking for a vintage SG.

I now asked him to take out the neck pickup to make a picture of the neck joint as well as the pickup bottom.

Any other advice / feedback?

Best Regards
lum

marshall1987

If you look closely at the control cavity, you can see that the solder on the rhythm pickup volume pot is not original. I would suspect that the corresponding pickup is not original to the guitar also. It doesn't have the same patina as the treble pickup.

And there appears to be some dark overspray at the neck heel, suggesting damage and repair. This model year of SG most likely has the skinny 1 9/16" nut width.

Pass on it.

corpse

A good price might be 1300€. Broken necks and heels can either be just fine or a major expense. Both can be fixed perfectly.

latestarter

Corpse is about right... These issues can be fixed, but it's not an easy path...but then maybe they're as fixed as they need to be? The logo outline is a little strange.

lum

Thanks for the advice guys. I think you are right and I will pass on this one :(

There are just so little opportunities in germany to get a decent & vintage SG to a fair price :-/

Kris Ford

I'd give 1000 for tops..

Good call on passing on it!

Don't worry, they're out there! Just means a better one is waiting for you!:yah

Toecutter

The headstock inlay looks like it was reinstalled and not positioned correctly (wrong angle). The break line also looks strange. Who knows what was done to fix that thing...