• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What 59 re-issue to buy?????

arvey

G'Day everyone,
new member from the land of Oz, in need of some expert advise.

I'm a retired guy now and have been putting money for a while now to buy a nice 59 Les Paul Standard Re-issue Lemon burst VOS guitar. I don't like the aged look, they look too neglected to me. :)

I've been trawling the net, but I'm getting seriously confused with price differences, for what to a layman's eyes, looks to be the same guitar and similar flamed tops I like!

On reading threads on this forum, I've gathered that the 2012 models don't seem to be very popular, since Gibson changed to a Laminated fret board. However, I can't determine what would be a good buy, and one that for once in my life, will actually hold or increase in value.

Sometimes I see NOS being advertised, so would one of these in say a pre 2012 issue, be better buy than something released mid 2013 and on? Or would a used 50th Anniversary 59' be better value than a standard reissue? Or may be a used signature 59' re-issue, would this be an even better way to go?

Lots of questions that I'm sure have been raised before, but I would appreciate your input and recommendations.

Cheers

Ron

Lenny

Hi Ron, nobody would blame you to wonder what to pick because the new and used market of top end Les Pauls is flooded. Resale is hardly ever at a profit but it's possible if you choose carefully.

I've found that certain limited editions like artist signature runs keep their value the best. I prefer used ones in good condition. Otherwise you can try to score a great flametop (even as far as 1998), those will keep their value better.

In terms of specs, the latest True Historics and Collectors Choice from 2015/2016 have the best spec, no doubt, but that doesn't mean older guitars don't sound great too.

There are great guitars from every year, I'd try to find a used one with a weight under 4kg and a great top or if you're a fan of a particular artist you can get a signature guitar of his. I like the Tom Murphy-painted (not aged) guitars too, they are stunning and I think they'll stand the test of time well because he doesn't paint many and the ones he did in 1999 are still valuable guitars.

I don't know if this helps, don't rush in, read the forum and try to narrow down the specs you prefer then zero in on a target. If you do buy a brand new one, make sure you try it because you will lose money if you try to flip it quickly. Often guitars come to you, maybe in your local guitar shop.

Tim Plains

If the specs you can't see matter to you - like type of glue and lack of a truss rod sheath - only look at a 2013/newer.

I use Mark's Guitar Loft as a general pricing guide and the most one should pay for a like new guitar. Like new means it's a brand new guitar but you are not the first owner, so no lifetime warranty if it's bought from the US. There are a few of these dealers around. Personally, the warranty means nothing to me.

Buying a new guitar is almost like buying a new car. Less than 1% will depreciate and you will likely take a bath if you overpaid and decide to sell. Honestly, don't buy them with resale in mind.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Used to be R6, R7, R8, R9. Marketing baby, marketing!!!

who...me?

Dave's Guitar shop has some of the lowest prices I've seen online for new 2014 R9's. I ordered one from them about 3 weeks ago and have no regrets. There are plenty to be found on the used market if resale is your concern. Personally, I think Gibson is churning out way too many for any of these guitars to appreciate substantially in value.

1jamman

I can't recall seeing many ,if any, later issued guitars retaining value (unless it's flipped quickly) . Buying for future resale value imo , is not a good idea ,unless you buy Vintage . but even there , it's not guaranteed .

Forget the 50th. Anni models . Sold 1 recently , lost a bunch and waited a while for that . Difficult to sell even in (IMO) A+ condition . I have another 1 posted and 0 interest at what I feel /see a good price .

Eval a guitar on it's own merit . Good guitars come from any/every year . Is it the right guitar for you , is the question . Buy to play it

I'd look at 2009 to 2011's . A bit different specs , less price and IMO , very good guitars . If you go to sell it , you might leave less on the table .

arvey

G'Day All,
Thanks for your replies and opinions, it now gives me something to work with.

I'm not buying with a view of holding it for a while and selling it to make a killing. :) I really like the Lemon bursts, and a nice lightly flamed or figured top, and looking to buy with a mind of keeping it.

Being in Australia we don't get a lot of these appearing very often, so the price is a premium when they do. The only real choice is to import, so that rules out getting to try before you buy.

But having some reasonable idea of what to look for in the first place is a big help. So thanks to all who have responded it's a big help.

Cheers

Ron

BEKAY

Dave's Guitar shop has some of the lowest prices I've seen online for new 2014 R9's. I ordered one from them about 3 weeks ago and have no regrets. There are plenty to be found on the used market if resale is your concern. Personally, I think Gibson is churning out way too many for any of these guitars to appreciate substantially in value.

Dave's has a great selection and super competitive pricing - great place to start.
And I agree, if you are thinking appreciation in value, best to just purchase a guitar that really jumps out at you as a player first :)

El Gringo

I agree 100% about checking out Dave's guitars , but this is just my two cents a good way to save some money would be to look for the 2014 R9 Les Pauls with the correct neck tenon .They are still out there brand new .

Mats A

There is absolutely no wrong with the 2012. About the bilayered board you can't hear it you can't see it and you can get a good price since many cares about this for no reason at all. Maybe if you have the guitar to talk about specs and not play it.