• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les paul & strap locks

hydro

Hey folks,

So I just got a new strap and Schaller locks for my Les Paul. This LP has the left strap button on the upper horn rather than directly behind the neck join like my SGs. So it pulls awkwardly out at an angle when I have it on. Anyone have any advice on this, or have had a similar problem? It seems like it's on there pretty good but just wondered if others have moved the strap button. I really don't want to modify the guitar by moving the button. Are there any other tricks? Am I fretting about nothing? (no pun intended) :p

Roeschi85

Just believe in the security locks! More likely the screw is pulled out of the guitar than the Schaller security locks give up.
Every Les Paul player in the world has this "problem".

J T

Les Pauls do not have the strap button behind the neck. That appears to be the correct position for it.

Make sure that nut holding the Schaller strap lock on the strap is tight. They can get loose.

nickza

Guitar looks a bit high, you need to get your Jimmy Page on!

Jimmy_page_les_paul.jpg

:peace2

J.D.

Few tips for aftermarket strap buttons on an expensive guitar that you may want to revert back at some future time without leaving behind any evidence.

- Use the same exact screw thread size and pitch as the OE, or better yet, reuse the OE screw.
* You can grind the heads of the OE screws to a smaller OD to fit inside the aftermarket buttons if necessary. Of course this then means you will need to get new screws to revert back.
- Place a small felt washer under the new button to avoid leaving a print in the finish.
- If your hole has any play with the screw when you get to about 1/2 way in you will likely have problems. Address them by redrilling and doweling if the hole is already a hot mess or press in toothpicks with glue if the play is relatively little.
- When finally installing the screws you want them good and tight with noticeable torque required for installation. The wood needs to really grab the screw.

hydro

Thanks everyone for the replies -

Whoever had the guitar before me actually had Schaller compatible buttons on there already. The new screw seems to fit in just fine. I guess I was more worried about the strap end, but I will just have to make sure the nut stays down. I tightened it pretty good but I have had them come loose before on me on other guitars. It is definitely an improvement over just a plain old strap, I just wanted to see if there was any conventional wisdom I was missing.

I guess that does explain why Page is always pointing up to the sky with his LP.... :dude:

J.D.

A drop of blue loctite on the threads will keep the nut fastening the device to the strap from loosening.

Big Daddy B

Hey folks,

So I just got a new strap and Schaller locks for my Les Paul. This LP has the left strap button on the upper horn rather than directly behind the neck join like my SGs. So it pulls awkwardly out at an angle when I have it on. Anyone have any advice on this, or have had a similar problem? It seems like it's on there pretty good but just wondered if others have moved the strap button. I really don't want to modify the guitar by moving the button. Are there any other tricks? Am I fretting about nothing? (no pun intended) :p

I actually prefer this position. I find on my double cut LP styles that have it on the back by the neck joint, the guitars have a tendency to want to flop forward. I also have started wearing mine a little bit higher, not like Slash or Page. Have found for me, it's easier on the back!

Monroe

I've always been tempted to move the button on my SG to the tip of the upper horn.
(not really, but I prefer the button location of a Les Paul to the one on the heel)

RJLII

Few tips for aftermarket strap buttons on an expensive guitar that you may want to revert back at some future time without leaving behind any evidence.

- Use the same exact screw thread size and pitch as the OE, or better yet, reuse the OE screw.
* You can grind the heads of the OE screws to a smaller OD to fit inside the aftermarket buttons if necessary. Of course this then means you will need to get new screws to revert back.
- Place a small felt washer under the new button to avoid leaving a print in the finish.
- If your hole has any play with the screw when you get to about 1/2 way in you will likely have problems. Address them by redrilling and doweling if the hole is already a hot mess or press in toothpicks with glue if the play is relatively little.
- When finally installing the screws you want them good and tight with noticeable torque required for installation. The wood needs to really grab the screw.

^ This ^

NickV

FYI The D'Addario Planet Wave Universal Strap lock System will fit on the Les Paul Traditional without changing the hardware on the guitar. I had D'Addario check it at there main store in NY. Should also work on the STD models and up. Will not work on the studio , faded...etc

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The simple rubber washers are easy, efficient and cheap [4 for $1].
Pros like Joe use them along with thousands of other players on significant Les Pauls. I use them on every guitar, including my Bursts. :)

snag

RET7230000016_Grolsch_Gaskets_Rubber_per_100__91901_480x480.jpg

These are $11.00 for a bag of 100. I've been using them for years with no issues on all my guitars. I believe these are what Tom Wittrock is referring to.

Last edited:

jrgtr42

I use the schallers on most of my guitars. I've never had an issue with the strap end, maybe it twists a bit, but once standing, unless you really have the guitar under your chin, it's not enough to put any stress on it.
I also long ago got in the habit of checking the strap buttons on the guitar when picking it up, to the point that when I'm at a guitar shop checking out a brand new guitar, I check to see if the buttons are loose. I keep a screwdriver on one of my amps to tighten it up when needed.
I have used washers on a couple guitars - my Rickenbacker doesn't allow for the use of the replacements, so I put a couple metal washers on behind the strap.
A couple others I've used the Grolsch rubber ones - I also homebrew so I just grabbed a bunch one time I was at the store getting supplies.

supanorton

Hey folks,

I’ve been using the same Schallers on my Classic Custom for 6 years. Lots of use with jams, occasional gig, and practicing. They’re great and look just like yours do in your photo.

I recently picked up a Traditional and ordered another set of Schallers. I wouldn’t use anything else on a Les Paul.

I tried the Bonamassa/Grolsch rubber stoppers and, for whatever reason, they didn’t stay on for me. I know Joe uses them on his ‘59, but they’re not for me.

You’re good to go!

BoomGuru

I was never a windmill guy.... but if you’re gonna go.... use strap locks OR...

NickV

Well after Calling D'Addario and asking them to verify the Strap lock they sell will fit the stock strap button ( they said it does) I placed my order. When I received them they in NO WAY fit the stock button. I refused to use any screw other then what came stock on the guitar. The top button screw fit perfectly. The screw on the bottom was a rounded screw head. I had to get a dremel tool and grind down the inside of the the D'Addario strap button ( about 1/16") This allowed the stock screw to fit into the D'Addario Strap button flush. the Rounded screw head covers any marks inside the button. The system works fine now, but if I ever want to return the Guitar to stock I just can unscrew them and replace the buttons with the stock buttons and screws. No wood glue, no drilling, no tooth picks and don't have to worry the smaller screws pulling out.

Good Luck

Last edited: