• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bonamassa Signature Firebird I?

bizzwriter

Excited to check out Joe's upcoming signature Firebird I (Epiphone). I've got a real soft spot for one-pickup Gibsons (Les Paul and SG Juniors especially), and this Firebird I definitely has my attention. Anyone got the inside scoop on what kind of neck carve it's going to have (fat I hope!).

CpEu_BiUIAIo8Qy.jpg

kharrison

I bought the gold one in this picture from Joe for Charity. The guitar is amazing and the quality and sound is there. It plays and sounds like a vintage bird. Has nickle parts and a nice beefy neck. It will not disappoint.

JBLPplayer

Thank you for your generous donation King! All the money goes to the homeless. The guitars blew me away when I tried them. Enjoy!! I owe you one!!

kharrison

Joe, I took it to band practice yesterday and played it through a brown Deluxe and a few pedals. I got the nod from the rest of the guys. It's a keeper. Very impressed with the probucker FB pickup and the guitar rings like a bell. It's every bit like a vintage bird! Well done.

garywright

so what's the scoop on these ..big neck, great sound, charity proceeds ? ...sign me up for a trans cherry :salude

kharrison

so what's the scoop on these ..big neck, great sound, charity proceeds ? ...sign me up for a trans cherry :salude

Joe auctioned off the gold one. They are Epiphone Firebird 1's in two colors, the traditional sunburst and the gold. The one I have is Joe's artist proof and I think they are slated to hit the stores in October. The guitar is an excellent example, has a nice beefy neck, not a baseball bat but a little thicker than a 59 profile. The guitar has nickle parts and Epiphones version of the Burstbucker. I am blown away by the guitar. I have had a few of the originals and this one sounds and plays like a broken in vintage guitar. The fit and finish is custom shop material. My ONLY complain are the small dot fret markers. I wished they used the larger ones like Gibson. I didn't weigh the guitar but it is not heavy at all and no neck dive with the big banjo tuners. Not sure what the price will be but I am sure it will be a bargain. Mine came in a huge nice Gibson Firebird case. I will try and post some pics later on.

kharrison

Here are some pics of the bird.....

This was a Gibson custom color I think called Polymist Gold. It is applied well with a nice coat of Nitro Lacquer. The board is a one piece rosewood with pearl dots. I am sure Joe had it set up but out of the box it plays great. It has a nice Firebird snap to it and it also cleans up well. I would be happy to answer anymore questions. It's a lovely guitar and it was a great thing that Joe offered his example to auction off for the Midnight Mission for the homeless in LA.

bizzwriter

I bought the gold one in this picture from Joe for Charity. The guitar is amazing and the quality and sound is there. It plays and sounds like a vintage bird. Has nickle parts and a nice beefy neck. It will not disappoint.

Wow, wow, wow! I am SO in on one of these. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Thanks for the report kharrison! (And kudos for picking up Joe's prototype for the charity auction!)

garywright

Here are some pics of the bird.....

sounds like it may be a cool low dollar guitar to own especially having a lacquer finish ..judging by that tree you may want to watch out for a wild woodpecker attack :hee

bizzwriter

I'm going to start with the sunburst -- if there's a trans cherry (or cardinal red or pelham blue) in future runs, then I'm going to end up with more than one of these!

garywright

yeah ..a translucent cherry would be great ...the few recent Gibson fb1s that I've seen are 3k + ..that was what I meant by a low(er) dollar guitar ..not meaning or implying cheaply built :salude

Stephens

I just did a quick search on this guitar. It looks amazing! Epiphone hit a homerun with this one. Can't wait to check this one out when it hits the streets!

Last edited:

Dan Silverman

I JUST got the Sunburst one! THANK YOU JOE!!!!!!!!!!! I really love it, great neck, light weight, very nice fit and finish. Like I said, I just got it, just tuned it and waiting for her to settle in a bit before I play her. I think she's going to be a good one. I'll plug her into TREASURE's old amp, the Gibsonette and see how she sounds. Thank you again my friend!

JJ Blair

yeah ..a translucent cherry would be great ...the few recent Gibson fb1s that I've seen are 3k + ..that was what I meant by a low(er) dollar guitar ..not meaning or implying cheaply built :salude

You could easily do burgundy mist over the gold. You just spray cherry over the existing finish.

kharrison

I JUST got the Sunburst one! THANK YOU JOE!!!!!!!!!!! I really love it, great neck, light weight, very nice fit and finish. Like I said, I just got it, just tuned it and waiting for her to settle in a bit before I play her. I think she's going to be a good one. I'll plug her into TREASURE's old amp, the Gibsonette and see how she sounds. Thank you again my friend!

Yes, they did a great job. How do you think the frets were applied?