• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bonamassa Signature Firebird I?

EFLOW

I know a man who knows a man. I can post photos for you later if you want. I haven't gotten it all together yet but I have the photos of the process. It takes a while before they can do the final buffing and polishing, so it's just been waiting for those steps in their shop.

Yes, pictures please .

Amp360

Yes, pictures please .

Here you go. It needs to still be buffed out and stuff, but it's been drying for a while.

FB37F369-1B5B-4DE6-B93F-CC4BD1375DBF_zpsupeqhgza.jpg

Amp360

This is the one I used for inspiration (it's not mine). I should state I'm a player first and if it's 1/2 a shade off I don't really care. More looking for something cool I can play a couple songs on slide for a tour. So if it looks cool to the person in the first few rows I'm happy.

The paint they used is actually car paint. My better half's uncle runs a dealership/restoration facility that mainly specializes in Volvo, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.... Since I didn't pay anything to do the painting over there I'm happy with it.
15380593_10211358742793210_800195250579514611_n.jpg

Last edited:

TM1

Looks really nice!! So, You put a vibrola on it? Most folks take them off..

rockabilly69

Looks really nice!! So, You put a vibrola on it? Most folks take them off..
no Don, the one on the truck was the inspiration for the color he used on his pictured above with just a wraptail.

reidmalips

What's with the "Stratty" carve on the back? I had a '63 FB III and it was flat as a pancake. I really like my new "Treasure", but wasnt expecting the back to look like that. Not only the carve, but it looks like a skateboard, with the lighter color and all of the visible laminations.

garywright

What's with the "Stratty" carve on the back? I had a '63 FB III and it was flat as a pancake. I really like my new "Treasure", but wasnt expecting the back to look like that. Not only the carve, but it looks like a skateboard, with the lighter color and all of the visible laminations.

I think you may be confused

burstman59

Ive owned several Birds including my current other Firebird which is 76 2 pc center body section and Im happy to report I am totally happy with my new JB Firebird 1. I checked Epiphone site and the specs definitely say mahogany. Mine is mahogany. not the cheap multi pc bodies you would find on an Epiphone LP. Fit and finish is on par with Gibsons USA made Firebirds Ive owned and sold. Not Gibson Custom shop quality but what you would see on a regular USA made Firebird. matter of fact the only thing I don't care for is the color of the back of body and neck is very similar if not identical to some current US models Ive had. I wish the back would have been a little darker but it is what it is. Is this as good as a 3 to 4 thousand dollar Custom shop Firebird 1 ? probably not. Is it going to be worth boo coo bucks down the road ? very doubtful. What I do know is I've always wanted a Firebird 1 and this got my blue coller self into one for under a grand. I wouldn't mind getting another to be truthful. I lowered the action and tuned it up and it rings like a bell. I was hoping I got a good one and so far it seems I did. The board is very nice on mine and frets were polished and no sharp edges like you would find on other import guitars. Thing is a set of banjo style Klusons are over 100 bucks these days so I think overall its a very good deal. I may decide to have it refinished one day in vintage style nitro with a dark back but until then I'm going to play the thing. My current favorite this week. For what its worth I would probably never buy a import Epi LP simply because the body shape and especially the cutaway is wrong not too mention the multi piece bodies but Gibson USA are building SGs and LPs with cnc routed 2 pc bodies these days so...

Big Al

It is not CA or SA Mahogany. It is similar looking but the grain is wider/coarser type commonly seen on other Oriental guitars like the mentioned Les Paul. There is genuine Mahogany and trade name unrelated but similar in appearance "Mahogany".

The build is correct as is the colors and back per 63-65. Anyone owning a flat back no tummy cut 'bird didn't have a Gibson.

Amp360

The other thing people may not know is the neck is laminated. When insanded all the paint off I could see this.

i didn't add a vibrola but I was thinking about putting one on with no bar just for looks. Like I said, I just want something that looks cool to use on a fEE songs.

I also aged aged all my hardware to match the original bridge im using. I think it
came out ok.

38F9E7F9-AFB0-4894-AE5D-685C8E630267_zpsw7qygdkd.jpg

D9682AB8-B03A-4D5C-B8C8-96239F39C152_zpswg9otfhf.jpg

Last edited:

reidmalips

It is not CA or SA Mahogany. It is similar looking but the grain is wider/coarser type commonly seen on other Oriental guitars like the mentioned Les Paul. There is genuine Mahogany and trade name unrelated but similar in appearance "Mahogany".

The build is correct as is the colors and back per 63-65. Anyone owning a flat back no tummy cut 'bird didn't have a Gibson.

I dont recall the "tummy cut" on my FBIII. It was a bone fide '63, that I ended up selling after 20+ years of ownership..for bone fide dough. Old brain, I guess.

The Epi FB I is a hell of a guitar. I'm very happy with it!

TM1

Treasure, early 63 production, has the body cut, but no laminates.

Dan, I guess you would know!! Excellent, since it is your guitar! My 2003 FB VII has a slight tummy cut. If I remember correctly, the early, first couple of runs were not laminated center sections. Gibson only made 80 FB I's in 1963.I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they did them in 25 piece batches except for the last run which would have been 30 guitars. They were not easy to build! Very different from the regular production stuff at that time. Our friends Doug & Pat did a nice segment on Firebird's a couple years back!
Looking forward to mine on Tuesday! I have a CTS 500K & 250K pots and an old Sprague 160P .022 cap ready to drop in as well as a Switchcraft jack. I'm betting that in comes with Alpha pots since it's a Chinese build.