• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help with ID/dating /serial number

Dr.Tom

I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death here,however I'm selling a guitar and I want to make sure I'm not miss-leading any one from what I've posted.

I have what I believe is a Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom RI VOS in Classic White. The serial number is 003488 . I am the second owner.From what little I know I have stated that this guitar was made in 2000 based on:

"The serial number is 003488 . So the first 2 numbers give you the year(it is from 2000) the next 3 numbers indicate the place in production for that year(348) and the last number indicates the Model( 8= 1968 Les Paul Custom). The pickups are Gibson 68 Custom."

I thought this was correct based on what I have read. However someone just asked me the following question and since I am not an expert I don't know how to answer ; here is the question:

"Correct me if I am wrong but I had a 2000 and it did not have a COA especially a booklet type as Gibson was not issuing COAs in 2000, also it had a Gibson "Art and Historic" case the one pictured is a much newer style case and the Guitar was not marked Gibson Custom on the neck. That appears to be a much newer guitar. Also didn't the 2000 guitars come with either 57 classics or 490r/409t pickups?"

So that is the question I've been asked and I'd very much appreciate it if any one could lend their expertise and help me out in dating the guitar. I have added a few pictures of my guitar and you can see many more at the link following the pictures.

Thank you .

Best regards,

Tom

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ic-white-price-reduced.1718978/#post-22433863

Tim Plains

00 is for 2000 or 2010. You have a 2010. Mine is the same (but black).
These are spec'd with '57 Classics but it is always possible they used something else like Burstbuckers in yours. The only way to know is to look at the bottom side.

JGas

If it counts I had a R68 from 2004, no COA, Gibson Historics logo on the back and 57s pups.
great guitar that was!

El Gringo

Why oh why would you want to sell a white beauty like that ?

Dr.Tom

00 is for 2000 or 2010. You have a 2010. Mine is the same (but black).
These are spec'd with '57 Classics but it is always possible they used something else like Burstbuckers in yours. The only way to know is to look at the bottom side.

Thank you for the information; I very much appreciate it.

Best regards,

Tom

Dr.Tom

Why oh why would you want to sell a white beauty like that ?

You are making me question myself again but here is my reason from my ad on The Gear Page:

I'm the second owner of this guitar. I traded a one off PRS guitar to get this guitar. I have played it sparingly. If you know anything about these guitars then you know they are outstanding to play and their sound is incredible. Then why would I sell it? I'm over 60 and my wife doesn't want to have to deal with a large number of guitars (and I will still have a LP standard after I sell this outstanding guitar). So my loss is your gain.

I still have over 30 guitars in my collection(down from over 40) and am still thinning the herd.

So that is the reason why I'm selling.

Best regards,

Tom

clearmudd

Don't do it, that is one i would hang on to, i would find something else in the herd to cull out. That's only because i love Customs.