• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABM Bell Brass Wrapover!

TM1

The guys at ABM in Germany have a intonatable wrapover made out of machined Bell Brass.! I got two and put one on my 2007 R-4 and one on my 1960 Gibson Melody Maker-D(single cut). I really like Bell Brass best for either a stoptail or as a wrapover. These guys having it machined and being able to intonate it have a Big Hit! The sonic improvement is wonderful as it has more depth, a nice ring and better clarity and harmonics. I'd swear my `60 MM-D is a good 20db louderand it just cuts right through w/o being anything remotely harsh or dead.. Anyway, just wanted to share my findings with you all.

You can get either new Nickel plated or Aged nickel plated

J T

Thanks for the heads up! Those guys look like thy make nice stuff!

Did you get the studs too?

How long did it take for shipping?

TM1

Hi JT; Yes, Peter @ ABM was insistent I use their studs. I ended up on my R-4 with using the Steel one(a Gibson one from the late `50's) on the Bass side as it had a bit more snap, but on the MM-D I used both and I'm guessing that the studs are Bell Brass as well.I know alot of folks(self included..) think of Brass as a `70/80's thing that would deaden your guitar. I'm finding the opposite. But.. I think Bell Brass, since it was made to resonate vibrations applied to it. I know that there are many different grades/types of Brass. whatever They're using for these is really top shelf stuff!
They took about 5-6 days to get here from Germany. I'm in L.A. so pretty impressed with the speediness and the quality of their products. The original owner/founder of ABM, Dr. Klaus Muller was a friend of mine. Sadly he passed away a few years back at the ripe old age of 54.. He was just the nicest guy and a master of engineering. He had a mild Heart Attack one year at NAMM and then flew home and a couple years later he died. Must have been around 2006 or 07. We(Pyramid Strings) use to share a booth with him at NAMM. His wife sold the company to Peter and his partner(who's name escapes me at the moment..) bought the company and moved it to Berlin. Allparts is the U.S. Distributor, but I bought this right from Peter.. The parts and things they make are really about the best you can get. They only use the best materials that they can get to make parts/bridges, etc.

Cream Fan

Hi, Don, are the studs vintage length or "Historic" length? It's hard to tell from the photos on ABM's site.

J T

The Allparts number is

TP-3403-001 ABM 3021-N Wrap Around Tailpiece Nickel

It doesn't say anything about bell brass. Actually the Allparts description says pretty much nothing at all so I wouldn't have known this from their site.

TM1

The Allparts number is

TP-3403-001 ABM 3021-N Wrap Around Tailpiece Nickel

It doesn't say anything about bell brass. Actually the Allparts description says pretty much nothing at all so I wouldn't have known this from their site.
They only have the machined Aluminium version @ Allparts. Steve said he could order them. The studs are vintage length but the bushing, which I'm not going to change are the Historic length. All my Gibson's with bushings have the 1.20" bushings expect the Melody Maker. It has the stock, original bushings they used for those. I'll have to measure them next time I change strings, but the guitar's only 1.5" thick..
i just measured the ABM bushings and the studs. The bushings are .97" & the studs are .90"

Last edited:

Big Al

Thanks for the heads up, Don. I have a few wrap tails that would benefit from those. Love Brass.:hank

TM1

Thanks for the heads up, Don. I have a few wrap tails that would benefit from those. Love Brass.:hank

Great stuff ain't it..! Glad to help! I think you turned me onto the the Stoptails from Philadelphia! Thanks!