• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

E-Rock

More silly "proof" that EC's amp was 30" x 24" - same size as a Style I.

Style%20I%20side_zpsyrzivx2c.png

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The amp from the studio shot matches exactly to the live shot:

this pic shows the proportion of the panels match without adjusting the angle of the amp.

marshall_match.jpg

This pic shows the amp angle adjusted to match position and shown transparent to highlight the match:
marshall_overlay.jpg

And background info that support the 2x12 configuration is that Clapton was moving from a Vox AC-30 and wanted that configuration for the JTM-45 that he heard at Marshall.

Last edited:

E-Rock

Nice work Wilko! Can you superimpose the Style I combo from this pic (credit Bobby V) to confirm it matches the dimensions of EC's amp?

P7080003.JPG

Wilko

Nice work Wilko! Can you superimpose the Style I combo from this pic (credit Bobby V) to confirm it matches the dimensions of EC's amp?

Without a reference dimension, no, I can't confirm any dimensions.

In the photos I used, I had two amps that are the same. For a style one, I don't know if the baffle is the same size, or if it's smaller due to the outer box rim...

I can see if the grill and panel are similar, but for smaller dimensions he rate of error increases.

E-Rock

Without a reference dimension, no, I can't confirm any dimensions.

In the photos I used, I had two amps that are the same. For a style one, I don't know if the baffle is the same size, or if it's smaller due to the outer box rim...

I can see if the grill and panel are similar, but for smaller dimensions he rate of error increases.

Got it. I was referring to overall dimensions...my guess is that EC's amp was 30" x 24", which theoretically matches the overall dimensions of the Style I combo (also 30" x 24"). If you superimposed the Style I combo from Bobby V's pic over EC's amp in the original photo, my guess is that they'd "match" in overall dimensions (or at least be very close in the Height / Width ratio). But I can't really try it myself since I don't own Photoshop or decent photo editing software.

F-Hole

This is nuts, my geometry master will be turning in his grave.

66SuperTremMKIV

I'm sure Eric would remember if it was 2x12 or 4x10 having had the amp custom made for him and using it many times, loading it in and out of
his car.

I've had tons of gear over the years and remember them all.

Unless he's memory is totally fried ?......... He might still have it stored among his vast collection and is keeping shtum :)

goldtop0

I'm sure Eric would remember if it was 2x12 or 4x10 having had the amp custom made for him and using it many times, loading it in and out of
his car.

I've had tons of gear over the years and remember them all.

Unless he's memory is totally fried ?......... He might still have it stored among his vast collection and is keeping shtum :)

Know of a block logo JTM45 head he's got but that's about it as regards any Marshall gear from back in the day.

Wilko

Got it. I was referring to overall dimensions...my guess is that EC's amp was 30" x 24", which theoretically matches the overall dimensions of the Style I combo (also 30" x 24"). If you superimposed the Style I combo from Bobby V's pic over EC's amp in the original photo, my guess is that they'd "match" in overall dimensions (or at least be very close in the Height / Width ratio). But I can't really try it myself since I don't own Photoshop or decent photo editing software.

Measuring the Bobby V photo gets me 30" x 24" for the style one knowing that a small box head is 26" wide and the 18 watter is 28" wide.

Last edited:

Stow

Great thread!! Keep it coming, so interesting!!

kerryboy

Great thread!! Keep it coming, so interesting!!

Well it started of interesting but discussing if its 28" or 29.4" wide is getting a bit boring IMO.

I still can't believe that this was a custom order to fit in his car. In all the photos shown it looks a big beast to me.

efk

Well it started of interesting but discussing if its 28" or 29.4" wide is getting a bit boring IMO.

I still can't believe that this was a custom order to fit in his car. In all the photos shown it looks a big beast to me.

:applaude

Apparently, at the time he must have been into 'cars' with big trunks…. er, I mean boots...

Beano Geno

Let's not forget that EC's first car was a 1938 Cadillac Fleetwood....a huge car with a huge boot/trunk. I believe that's what he owned during his Bluesbreaker days.

goldtop0

Let's not forget that EC's first car was a 1938 Cadillac Fleetwood....a huge car with a huge boot/trunk. I believe that's what he owned during his Bluesbreaker days.

But unfortunately not big enough for a stack:lol

blewsbreaker

P7080003.JPG

FUCK! I HAD ERIC'S AMP AND DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!!!
:laugh2:

goldtop0

Viewable here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dtvxd?GK_FACEBOOK_OG_HTML5=1

If you mean the section at about 26:45 where they talk about Clapton's combo, then the footage is a mock-up of vintage footage of Clapton, along with new, "made-to-look-old" footage of a bone stock 1962 reissue combo. It tells us nothing about Clapton's actual amp.

Hadn't seen that video......thanks for posting:2cool

Yep the only mention is that it was a 2x12 combo.