The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

Here is my old 67 1962 2x12" amp for size comparison.

In a way Claptons amp looks like a style 2 version of the early 1961 4x10" amp.

Les Paul Forum Member

This means nothing..but....the proportions of the panel to the whole front in your amp, API, could indicate the EC's amp there is a sit shorter than yours....that is IF the panels are the same size from top to bottom.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Yes Wally, that was what i thought as well, Erics amp looks more square than the one in my pic.
    I just wanted to add a pic of it for reference so you could see how different they are.

Have anyone seen a pic of Erics amp to confirm that it indeed was a 2x12"?

Quote Originally Posted by API View Post
    I did see that in Robb Lawrence's book, he states that Jim initially did give EC a 1961 4x10...

Anyone know what EC was driving back then?

Here is my old 67 1962 2x12" amp for size comparison.

Am I wrong, or is the upper panel on that one much slimmer than on other style 2s that I've seen? In any case, seeing as Clapton's style 2 is by far the earliest example, long before style 2 became the norm for 1962 combos, I'm not sure how much we can read into comparing it with other style 2s. Everything points to it being a one-off IMHO. It sounds like a JTM45 (and with alnicos too if you ask me) and not an 18w. But the combo cab is atypical for 1962 of that vintage, and with dimensions/ratios that don't match 18w cabs. My vote says that it is a straight non-trem JTM45 chassis in a custom 2x12 combo cab, possibly more shallow and possibly less wide than a style 1.

Although thinking about it, API, your comment about the 4x10 1961 is interesting. As we all know Clapton was heavily into Freddie King, who used a tweed Bassman combo AFAIK. Which has...3x10" speakers. I've never tried a JTM45 into 10" Celestions. Perhaps that is the key (to the highway of Bluesbreakers sounds...)?

Les Paul Forum Member

Is that a coffin-logo JTM45 behind Hugie's left foot? If so, perhaps it's (known?) dimensions could be used to estimate the size of Clapton's amp?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by E-Rock View Post
    Is that a coffin-logo JTM45 behind Hugie's left foot?

Impossible to tell, but the two amps on top are Burns combos.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    I've never tried a JTM45 into 10" Celestions.
    Anything into 7442's will sound good. Great speakers to my ears, tight bottom and barky with accentuated mids.

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Is that a coffin-logo JTM45 behind Hugie's left foot? If so, perhaps it's (known?) dimensions could be used to estimate the size of Clapton's amp?

Good eye! Interesting-didn't even notice that but does kinda look like one of the "sandwich" heads. Maybe McVie was using it (if, in fact, that's what that is...)?
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

A sandwich head with a gold/black block logo??

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    A sandwich head with a gold/black block logo??
    Too big and the lip is too thick.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I've seen and played considerably more Style #1's and maybe about 4 Style @2's. I've also seen Style #2 combo's from late 1966.
    I'm interested in the Style 2 cabs you've seen, particularly those from late 66.

If they're real, then they're extremely unusual given that if they were made in '66 they would have a JTM45 chassis (either straight or trem). The JMP chassis, which I've seen in pinstripe era combo's, didn't come into service until mid-67(ish).

In fact, I don't know anybody who's seen a genuine style 2 cabinet with a JTM45 chassis that left the factory that way.

What's the story?

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    Impossible to tell, but the two amps on top are Burns combos.
    Anybody able to identify the models of these amps?
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member

Anyone know the distance between the horns of a precision bass?

Les Paul Forum Member

Don't know if you'll get that measurement unless someone measures their own, but here are some useful measurements and I don't think his is slanted, relative to the photographer (unlike Clapton's LP), to make any substantive difference.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mea...n-bass.600791/

Les Paul Forum Member

Alan Wiel (Weil) told me back in the 1990's that he and EJ figured Eric's amp to be a 4X10.
    Enjoy that with my compliments. 🤠👍

Quote Originally Posted by abalonevintage View Post
    Alan Wiel (Weil) told me back in the 1990's that he and EJ figured Eric's amp to be a 4X10.
    Thats very interesting.
    It certainly looks like it could be.

Les Paul Forum Member

It certainly looks like it could be.
    I'd have thought it was too small a cab for 4x10.

Les Paul Forum Member 66SuperTremMKIV's Avatar

Well unless Eric's legs measure 20" + from his knee to his foot (which I seriously doubt), the amp pictured is too small for a 4x10 seeing the speakers would be mounted behind the grill cloth only...... and that Eric's knee appears level with the top of the grill cloth.

Looks a 2 x 12" to me.

Here's one from the Beano LP. Looks like the same amp. Wouldn't a 4x10 cab be more square-sized?

Les Paul Forum Member

The model 1961's on this page show the 10" speakers staggered in a horizontal fashion.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The model 1961's on this page show the 10" speakers staggered in a horizontal fashion.
    That general configuration was introduced post pinstripe era, so around H2 1968. The earlier (pinstripe era) 4x10's were not staggered, so much like a Bassman. The amps with a staggered speaker arrangement tended to be 50w JMP's too.

That's not to say that Clapton's amp isn't actually a "staggered speaker", pinstripe, 4x10, with a JTM45 non-trem chassis.......although that spec wouldn't be the top of my list of guesses.

As said, I doubt we'll ever know for sure what it is.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks John. Since he was putting it in a trunk, too much depth may have prevented him from closing the lid. Seems a style 2 cabinet with 10" speakers would have allowed for a much thinner build.
    Last edited by Tim; 08-08-16 at 11:39 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

At the risk of looking like a moron (cuz I'm not a visual guy and don't own Photoshop)...I'm going to stick my neck out and say the amp behind Hugie's foot is, in fact, a sandwich/coffin-logo JTM45. Here's my crude "proof" mockup:

Les Paul Forum Member

And as a candidate for The Most Ridiculous Post of the Year, here's how that JTM45 compares to EC's amp:

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

At the risk of looking like a moron (cuz I'm not a visual guy and don't own Photoshop)...I'm going to stick my neck out and say the amp behind Hugie's foot is, in fact, a sandwich/coffin-logo JTM45. Here's my crude "proof" mockup:

Looks pretty close to me... what else could it be if it isn't a coffin logo jtm45?

That's pretty clever work E-Rock.

We can therefore estimate Eric's cab at 2 & 7/10ths (ish) times the height of the jtm45...anyone know what those buggers measure..??
    Last edited by ourmaninthenorth; 08-08-16 at 06:02 PM.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member

IF that amp...the one behind Clapton in the original picture, is a 4 x 10, then he is as tall or taller than I am.....and I am 6'5". Ya'll say he is 5.9"....IF so, I don't see that tall of an amp in proportion there. The bass drum there is probably a 22" drum. AS F-hole notes....this question will probably never be answered.
    The 1965 Series II 2 x 12 shown on page 23 of the Doyle book has the same proportions as does the amp in the OP's pic.....5:1 for the height of the grille to the panel.
    RE: the comment about Freddie King playing a tweed Bassman.....tweed Bassman amps from the 5D6 through the 5F6A, the 5F6A being the amp that was the template for the early Marshalls, were 4 x 10 amps. The 5E7 Bandmaster was a 3 x 10 amp...and a bit different from the Bassman amp.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

There is no way that amp is the 4x10. Thos were HUGE!

It's very likely what became the series II 2x12 model. Almost all previous evidence/discussion/speculation is in that camp.

The JMP50 Series II 2 X 12 combos were 32" wide (wider than a 4 x 12 cab!).
    Music is good for the soul.....

Have a great day!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

nevermind

Les Paul Forum Member

.......here's how that JTM45 compares to EC's amp:
    I was looking at the wrong amp, and thought the reference was to the thick lip whatever sitting under the two Burns amps, which look like they're sitting on top of something on the floor rather than on the riser. You're right, the amp to EC's left looks like a JTM45 head. Good spot.

A typical JTM45 amp is about 66 cm wide, don't know if the sandwich ones were any different in that measurement. That would put Clapton's combo at *around* 70 cm, give or take at least 5% I'd say. 2x12 18w combos were about 70 cm IIRC, but this one looks taller than an 18w. Perhaps he saw the 18w, said "that one looks neat and compact, but I like the sound of the JTM45 I used to have", and Marshall made a custom combo cab slightly taller, to accomodate a JTM45 chassis? I know, speculation and more speculation...

Les Paul Forum Member

Using my mm scale ruler and assuming the head is 66cm wide, I came up with the cab being 29.4" across and 23.9" high, which is almost exactly the size of the 1962 vintage reissue combo shown on Marshall's site (29.1,24.0).
    Last edited by Tim; 08-09-16 at 09:41 AM. Reason: to specify vintage reissue series

Les Paul Forum Member

Using my mm scale ruler and assuming the head is 66cm wide, I came up with the cab being 29.4" across and 23.9" high, which is almost exactly the size of the 1962 combo shown on Marshall's site (29.1,24.0).
    Much the same size as a 2x12 18 watt too.........

Les Paul Forum Member

When looking at the Hand Wired series, Marshall is showing the 1973x, 2x12 18w being 27.9" across and 21.3" high, and the 1962 @ 32.1" and 24.6". If the hand wired series is true to spec, it seems Eric's amp falls between the two models in width, but closer to the 1962 in height.

Les Paul Forum Member

When looking at the Hand Wired series, Marshall is showing the 1973x, 2x12 18w being 27.9" across and 21.3" high, and the 1962 @ 32.1" and 24.6". If the hand wired series is true to spec, it seems Eric's amp falls between the two models in width, but closer to the 1962 in height.
    I measured against an original 1965/66 amp.

Here are some amps for size comparisons between different models.
    The 18w in the middle in the inside pic is a 2x12" (master reverb) and it seems like its very close in width to a JTM45 head and the 4x10" style 1 1961.

The later style 2 amps are much larger (dont have my pinstripe here anymore so can not compare it to the others).
    But if you compare the style 1 and style 2 4x10" amps the style 1 is much smaller but still houses four 10" speakers.
    So i say its possible that Erics amp was 4x10", but as F-hole says, we will most likely never know....

Also, dont forget that perspective and depth make a huge difference in size, i think you can only compare height of something if you know that the two things you compare stand exactly side by side.
    Even 20cm/4 inches difference in depth would make quite the difference in a photo

Les Paul Forum Member

Using my mm scale ruler and assuming the head is 66cm wide, I came up with the cab being 29.4" across and 23.9" high, which is almost exactly the size of the 1962 combo shown on Marshall's site (29.1,24.0).
    Yes...that's about what I figured as well. Based on my silly-looking photo mockup, my best guess is EC's cab was 30" wide x 24" tall.

According to the 1966 Marshall catalog reprinted in the Doyle book, a Style I 1962 combo was also 30" x 24". So it would make sense Marshall would choose those dimensions for EC's "custom" Style II combo. But this then begs the question - why didn't EC simply buy a "regular" Style I combo? My guess would be depth - a Style I 1962 was 12" deep, whereas a Style II 1962 (from the '67 catalog) is listed as 10.5" deep. This probably lessened the overall weight as well - EC's amp likely weighed a bit less than a Style I 1962.

Les Paul Forum Member

Also, dont forget that perspective and depth make a huge difference in size, i think you can only compare height of something if you know that the two things you compare stand exactly side by side.
    Even 20cm/4 inches difference in depth would make quite the difference in a photo
    Absolutely. This is all just conjecture based on this single fuzzy original photo and my best attempt at a "poor man's" Photoshop-style mockup! We can't be certain of anything here - but it's great fun trying!