The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Re: Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    "Well it's a good thing that you weren't there then Olly"

wide open for that one.
    one to you.....
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. If you need Pihers I can help you out. If you need Iskra, I may be able to help depending on the values you're looking for.
    Hi! Just looking for enough to do the signal path of my 1974x and a JTM45.
    Cheers!
    Don

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Hi! Just looking for enough to do the signal path of my 1974x and a JTM45.
    Cheers!
    Don
    PM me Don, I can help on Pihers.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

email sent! Cheers John!

Well this is a great thread that I hadn't read before about The Man.
    For what's its worth let me throw in my two cents of eye witness accounts.
    I happen to know a female who knows the great man very well and in addition to his impressive musical skills he
    apparently has something else very impressive. Maybe that has something to do with his sound as well. LOL
    Seriously on the string thing where can I get those "monel" strings?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Russell View Post
    Well this is a great thread that I hadn't read before about The Man.
    For what's its worth let me throw in my two cents of eye witness accounts.
    I happen to know a female who knows the great man very well and in addition to his impressive musical skills he
    apparently has something else very impressive. Maybe that has something to do with his sound as well. LOL
    Seriously on the string thing where can I get those "monel" strings?
    Thanks.
    Hi! Don't really try and advertize them on this site as it might violate some forum rules. Send me a PM through here. I sell Pyramid's and have for the last 22 years.
    Thanks!
    Don Butler/Toneman, Inc.

Les Paul Forum Member Peteyvee2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the new Gold Lion KT-66's have a slightly brighter tone/sound to them than the M.O.Valve(original) KT-66's? I have about a dozen sets of original's and the Gold Lion's sound brighter in a side by side comparison..
    Yes. I have a pair of original clear glass GEC KT-66s (1969 and 1970) in my BBRI and have also tried the Gold Lions. They are brighter, but I prefer the old ones. Thy sound bigger and rounder, if you know what I mean.

Lots of great discussion in this thread. Apologies if this has already been posted (I haven't caught up on a few pages since I last read), but this reminded me of an interview with Jim Marshall in the Feb. 2005 issue of Guitar and Bass magazine.

This will neither confirm nor deny, but here's an excerpt:

"...Although it was called the JTM 45 it was 30 watts but it used to peak at just over 50. Then in 1963 Eric Clapton came to me and said 'Look, I cannot cart around a 4x12 and an amp head because my car couldn't take it'. So I said, well, let's have a go at making a combo. And that was the Bluesbreaker combo, which was still 30 watts, but it sounded a lot louder. I managed to fit that into a 2x12 cabinet I manufactured myself, and Eric was over the moon with it."

Quote Originally Posted by elcidd View Post
    Lots of great discussion in this thread. Apologies if this has already been posted (I haven't caught up on a few pages since I last read), but this reminded me of an interview with Jim Marshall in the Feb. 2005 issue of Guitar and Bass magazine.

This will neither confirm nor deny, but here's an excerpt:

"...Although it was called the JTM 45 it was 30 watts but it used to peak at just over 50. Then in 1963 Eric Clapton came to me and said 'Look, I cannot cart around a 4x12 and an amp head because my car couldn't take it'. So I said, well, let's have a go at making a combo. And that was the Bluesbreaker combo, which was still 30 watts, but it sounded a lot louder. I managed to fit that into a 2x12 cabinet I manufactured myself, and Eric was over the moon with it."

The (Jim's) recollection as stated above was in error as Eric didn't get his 'one off ' combo until around November of '65.
    However the first prototype heads were put together(and sold) in '63 and the 4x12 cabs were first produced I think in '64.......or maybe a little later in '65 sometime.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post

Slow night for me, 2nd time through this thread over the years & 3 years late, still think this is pretty convincing. It's not a curved object being straightened out nor vice versa yet in the photo pretty much retains it's undistorted straight line if you focus on the stripes/angle. There's a tiny deviation in the cutout width yet both ends appearing to be as small as the trem width as opposed to some severe skewing of perspective like you'd see if the cutout was smaller but the middle of the object distorted out/fattened (if was the case the logo would appear larger). Taking into consideration the size of the logo then the cutout width then the total width I think it's a stretch to believe this photo has significant enough perspective/aspect issues to turn a regular 45 into a trem. I vote trem sized and have no skin in the game as they're all pretty ****ing good amps.

2 cents, 2 or 3 drinks in, let the debate rage on!!!