• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

TM1

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. If you need Pihers I can help you out. If you need Iskra, I may be able to help depending on the values you're looking for.

Hi! Just looking for enough to do the signal path of my 1974x and a JTM45.
Cheers!
Don

Well this is a great thread that I hadn't read before about The Man.
For what's its worth let me throw in my two cents of eye witness accounts.
I happen to know a female who knows the great man very well and in addition to his impressive musical skills he
apparently has something else very impressive. Maybe that has something to do with his sound as well. LOL
Seriously on the string thing where can I get those "monel" strings?
Thanks.

TM1

Well this is a great thread that I hadn't read before about The Man.
For what's its worth let me throw in my two cents of eye witness accounts.
I happen to know a female who knows the great man very well and in addition to his impressive musical skills he
apparently has something else very impressive. Maybe that has something to do with his sound as well. LOL
Seriously on the string thing where can I get those "monel" strings?
Thanks.
Hi! Don't really try and advertize them on this site as it might violate some forum rules. Send me a PM through here. I sell Pyramid's and have for the last 22 years.
Thanks!
Don Butler/Toneman, Inc.

Peteyvee2

Has anyone noticed that the new Gold Lion KT-66's have a slightly brighter tone/sound to them than the M.O.Valve(original) KT-66's? I have about a dozen sets of original's and the Gold Lion's sound brighter in a side by side comparison..
Yes. I have a pair of original clear glass GEC KT-66s (1969 and 1970) in my BBRI and have also tried the Gold Lions. They are brighter, but I prefer the old ones. Thy sound bigger and rounder, if you know what I mean.

elcidd

Lots of great discussion in this thread. Apologies if this has already been posted (I haven't caught up on a few pages since I last read), but this reminded me of an interview with Jim Marshall in the Feb. 2005 issue of Guitar and Bass magazine.

This will neither confirm nor deny, but here's an excerpt:

"...Although it was called the JTM 45 it was 30 watts but it used to peak at just over 50. Then in 1963 Eric Clapton came to me and said 'Look, I cannot cart around a 4x12 and an amp head because my car couldn't take it'. So I said, well, let's have a go at making a combo. And that was the Bluesbreaker combo, which was still 30 watts, but it sounded a lot louder. I managed to fit that into a 2x12 cabinet I manufactured myself, and Eric was over the moon with it."

goldtop0

Lots of great discussion in this thread. Apologies if this has already been posted (I haven't caught up on a few pages since I last read), but this reminded me of an interview with Jim Marshall in the Feb. 2005 issue of Guitar and Bass magazine.

This will neither confirm nor deny, but here's an excerpt:

"...Although it was called the JTM 45 it was 30 watts but it used to peak at just over 50. Then in 1963 Eric Clapton came to me and said 'Look, I cannot cart around a 4x12 and an amp head because my car couldn't take it'. So I said, well, let's have a go at making a combo. And that was the Bluesbreaker combo, which was still 30 watts, but it sounded a lot louder. I managed to fit that into a 2x12 cabinet I manufactured myself, and Eric was over the moon with it."

The (Jim's) recollection as stated above was in error as Eric didn't get his 'one off ' combo until around November of '65.
However the first prototype heads were put together(and sold) in '63 and the 4x12 cabs were first produced I think in '64.......or maybe a little later in '65 sometime.

deytookerjaabs

clapton_amp.jpg

Slow night for me, 2nd time through this thread over the years & 3 years late, still think this is pretty convincing. It's not a curved object being straightened out nor vice versa yet in the photo pretty much retains it's undistorted straight line if you focus on the stripes/angle. There's a tiny deviation in the cutout width yet both ends appearing to be as small as the trem width as opposed to some severe skewing of perspective like you'd see if the cutout was smaller but the middle of the object distorted out/fattened (if was the case the logo would appear larger). Taking into consideration the size of the logo then the cutout width then the total width I think it's a stretch to believe this photo has significant enough perspective/aspect issues to turn a regular 45 into a trem. I vote trem sized and have no skin in the game as they're all pretty ****ing good amps.

2 cents, 2 or 3 drinks in, let the debate rage on!!! :salude