• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eric's Bluesbreaker Marshall Combo: new pictures.

blewsbreaker

Just found these two pics of the Marshall combo he used in the Bluesbreakers. Yeah, that's Eric behind Hughie Flint's kit! :wow The only *color* picture I've ever seen of that group while Eric was in it. :dude:

dc68846f30a1405efa5b1e7646606f5c_zpsvhqhfefn.jpg

febedf3326c2710212facc651ba1d3bf_zpsrs9slwct.jpg

That color pic is fantastic. It confirms what Eric told me in 2005...that his amp was a "one-off" that Jim made for him to fit in the trunk (boot) of his car. The dimensions clearly aren't the same as a 2-12 18 watt or a style 2 BB combo.
It looks closer to a Style 1 size cab, but with a flat front, and a tad narrower....

shakti

Somewhere on YT is a british blues documentary with film footage of Clapton with the BB amp. It revealed that the amp did indeed have a JTM45 Tremolo chassis - clearly showed eight knobs.

Anyone care to dig this out? I would have thought that if this footage was known it would have been discussed more. Footage clear enough to show eight knobs on Clapton's amp would surely also be able to reveal more about the amp to experts?

goldtop0

Anyone care to dig this out? I would have thought that if this footage was known it would have been discussed more. Footage clear enough to show eight knobs on Clapton's amp would surely also be able to reveal more about the amp to experts?

+1

Wally

IF Clapton's knee measures somewhere near 4 1/2-5 inches across, then that cab is about 27-30" wide, maybe? The top panel is 5-6 inches with the overall height about 22 1/2 - 25"?? I am thinking that the smaller numbers are closer to correct, perhaps.
Does that fit into any known range for some Marshall of that time, FHole?

TM1

IF Clapton's knee measures somewhere near 4 1/2-5 inches across, then that cab is about 27-30" wide, maybe? The top panel is 5-6 inches with the overall height about 22 1/2 - 25"?? I am thinking that the smaller numbers are closer to correct, perhaps.
Does that fit into any known range for some Marshall of that time, FHole?
My knee measures 4.35" across, but I'm 5'9" and weigh 170 lbs. I think Eric in those days was probably about the same height but weighed around 135 lbs. I wouldn't think his knee would be any wider that 3.75" or so.. He could be a bit shorter back in the day.

ourmaninthenorth

Are all bass drums the same diameter? If so it should be quite straightforward to extrapolate an exact measurement of the cab from that, both pictures show enough detail of the top and bottom of the cab to make an accurate scaled measurement.

mistersnappy

I found a few seconds of footage, but none of the amp. Skip to 13:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2wbP0e88o

Edit - that footage could early Cream era, going by his rings and the guitar having pickup covers?

That footage was shot in late '65 I believe. Def. Bluesbreakers-era. Remember, that Les Paul was stolen during Cream's rehearsals in July '66. :salude

I'd sure like to see some footage of Clappo with Mayall but, honestly, I don't think it exists. :dang

goldtop0

I think that the footage would have been earlier than late '65 mistersnappy and pre the Greek sojourn.......just going from his hair.......my 2c worth.
What do you reckon?

Tim

Clapton doesn't look like a very big guy, I think he would have had a pretty hard time putting a JTM45 combo into and out of a car trunk with a single handle on top. Don't they weigh around 80 pounds? Makes me wonder if it was an 18 watt he was using. :hmm

goldtop0

Clapton doesn't look like a very big guy, I think he would have had a pretty hard time putting a JTM45 combo into and out of a car trunk with a single handle on top. Don't they weigh around 80 pounds? Makes me wonder if it was an 18 watt he was using. :hmm

Hi Tim, that point was debated here in another thread some years ago and the conclusion was that it was a 1962 combo, albeit a one off custom made one for Eric(taken from the pic on the back of the Beano album and some other pics also). All the usual suspects were involved F-Hole et al.

TM1

I don't think Marshall made alot with the Style #2 cabinet. I've seen and played considerably more Style #1's and maybe about 4 Style @2's. I've also seen Style #2 combo's from late 1966. I have a chassis for a Style #1 here at present and the owner has the cab with him in Reno. The Chassis need a tweak on a couple of things. Great sounding amp!!

mistersnappy

I think that the footage would have been earlier than late '65 mistersnappy and pre the Greek sojourn.......just going from his hair.......my 2c worth.
What do you reckon?

Perhaps. That footage is discussed in the Eric Clapton and the British Blues book, I just don't remember what the date was. I have the book but its packed away somewhere right now.