• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Doug and Pat present "Chasing Oscar"

Xpensive Wino

Can you really tell the difference between a highly prized vintage Gibson electric guitar from the fifties and a re-issue?

How about those high priced boutique PAF clones you're thinking about buying, how do they stack up to the real deal?

Confused? OK, how about if you could hear them all playing the same song by the same player through the same amp recorded exactly the same way every time?

Welcome to "Chasing Oscar", written and recorded by Doug and Pat for exactly that purpose: to hear how (let's say) a 2013 R9 might compare to the original 1958 PAF equipped Les Paul known as "Oscar" or a Custom Shop Les Paul Special to an original 1956.

And how do those expensive boutique "PAF" style pickups sound when you put them in an affordable guitar compared to the icons of the guitar world? You get the idea.

Let's take this journey together, right now, and then on the Doug and Pat Show web site. Go back often as we'll be adding more guitars and more pickups every week all for you.

Doug and Pat Present "Chasing "Oscar".

andy k

loving this project--bookmarked, really like the tune too,
good work guys
cheers
andy k

Classic

Based on those sound clips, the Throbaks with A5 mags were amongst the closest, with one or two of the lesser know (to me) names being in the mix. The others were a lot brighter. The Custom Buckers were close in tone but the output was a lot lower.

Even the original P90 sounded similar to the PAF.

It's an interesting project.

Plus pro

Anyone like the V.I.P. (Vintage Inspired Pickups) "Lovers" set? They're from a small group in Seattle. The neck pup is called the Sara Bucker and the bridge is the Buddy Bucker. I think they start discussing them at around 14:50 in the clip I've posted below from the Doug and Pat show. After going to the company page and listening to the soundcloud clip I fell in love with the dynamics and undertones these pups offered. Anyone own a set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alB...-iEZiUQiAor0OKktVhFgPth2kFynFDhUbHcCYqV9Pyems

Flying Fish

Love their show, and those guys are great. Not sure all those pickups are "chasing Oscar" though.

I know the Tyson Tone TTL-2s they have are definitely not. That set is designed around a "great" sounding - but bright & very clear original PAF set ("tele on steriods," would be a good description) which is a bit of a different animal - apples n oranges.

da yooper

they had an episode that included the set I have in my 2016 traditional. the Geppetto guitars Camelot set by mike o Donahue.. his pickups were only 200 for the set and he winds specific to the sound each customer wants. mine were underwound and scattered..theyve turned my paul into a beast.. heres a small sound bite I did from youtube with them..they sound a bit harsh in the video since all recording was simply done standing in a room 3 feet from the amp with a smartphone. I highly suggest looking into Geppeto pickups.

Rayvyn

Love their show, and those guys are great. Not sure all those pickups are "chasing Oscar" though.

I know the Tyson Tone TTL-2s they have are definitely not. That set is designed around a "great" sounding - but bright & very clear original PAF set ("tele on steriods," would be a good description) which is a bit of a different animal - apples n oranges.

Their set of TTL did lack but i’m finding lots of great tone in the ones I’m hearing everywhere else. I’m wondering which it is really? Alas, no matter what any of them sound like side by side, the wood they’re in seems like a huge factor that can’t be known while shopping. I hate searching for pickups, too many variables and too much snake peddling...