• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ThroBak KZ-115 PAF on The Doug and Pat Show

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Doug and Pat did an interesting video showcasing the ThroBak KZ-115 P.A.F. repros. I wound 3 identical sets but used long A2, long A4 and long A5. they compare all three sets against Oscar. I hope you enjoy it. It was fun a fun project. I have all three variations of the KZ-115 available on the ThroBak website. http://www.throbak.com/kz-115-mxv.html

Zentar

Both Seymour Duncan and Throbak lay claim to owningthe old Gibson P,A.F. winding machines from the 50s. Who else owns some of them?

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Both Seymour Duncan and Throbak lay claim to owningthe old Gibson P,A.F. winding machines from the 50s. Who else owns some of them?

Gibson still uses ME-301 winding machines that they also used to wind P.A.F.'s. They are the most efficient machines of the bunch so I'm would guess that is why they kept them over the other three machines they used to wind with. Other than Seymour Duncan, ThroBak and Gibson, I don't know of anyone that owns pickups winding machines from the old Gibson factory.

AmpKing

I liked the KZ-115 with long A2 magnets the best and bought a set from Jon. They have slightly less bass than the SLE-101 in my LP.

Jason1770

I liked the KZ-115 with long A2 magnets the best and bought a set from Jon. They have slightly less bass than the SLE-101 in my LP.

Hello Ampking,

I am close to picking this exact set KZ-115 with long A-2. They would be going in a Murphy True Historic replacing the stock custom buckers. I actually like the stock pickups but it seems I will like these better.
Do you have any input on them? Are you happy you got them or would you have picked something else now that you’ve had them a while?

Thank you,

Jason

el84ster

I think this video shows Mr Gundry's true genius. There is almost zero difference between the PAFs in Oscar and the Throbak set! And the slight difference there is isn't bad at all, just different. Pretty amazing. My hat's off to Throbak.