• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck shapes on SG Jnr 61 v 65

K701

My next purchase will likely be a nice Jnr. My experience of SGs is limited. I had a 99 standard and while it was a lovely guitar- played perfectly (only Gibson I've owned that played perfectly out the box), no neck dive- it just didn't have any magic and so fell neglected.

I realised I preferred the deeper cuts on the old models and love P90s. I just love the SG shape, but I don't like skinny or flat necks which a lot of SG listings proudly announce. I may be incorrect, but from what I gather a 65 neck might be more to my taste, more or a C and thicker Vs the early Les Pauls.

I live in the UK and there aren't shops with racks of vintage Jnrs and so I would have to travel to see one or 2 or buy blind. I don't want to travel to find skinny flat necks at the end of each journey.

Also are all SG necks wider than LPs?

Are the necks fairly consistent in there periods- is it even possible to find slightly chunkier C?
A lot of questions I know, any advice much appreciated.

Kris Ford

I had a '65 and the neck was a fuller but wide c shape, that was probably the best profile I have ever gripped in my life.
A '64 was nice as well.

Monroe

My early '65 (pots are late '64) SG Junior's neck isn't narrow.
It's the typical for a Gibson 1 11/16" width at the nut (1.6875")

A bit thin at the first fret: .807"
Thickness at the 12th fret is: 1.005"
Width at the 12th fret (never measured a guitar for this before) is 2.078"

For comparison, My '76 LPC is:
.863" thick at first fret,
.963" thick at 12th fret,
2.032" wide at 12th fret

And my '07 R9 is:
.934" thick at 1st fret,
1.039" thick at 12th fret,
2.067" wide at 12th fret

K701

Fuller and wide- I could certainly go for. Sounds like a recipe for a tone machine.

Monroe- thanks so much for taking the time to do the measurements- very handy indeed! I haven't been able to find anything like that on he net so far. The neck of your early 65 certainly seems to fit the bill.

64s/65s it is.

Kris Ford

Fuller and wide- I could certainly go for. Sounds like a recipe for a tone machine.

Monroe- thanks so much for taking the time to do the measurements- very handy indeed! I haven't been able to find anything like that on he net so far. The neck of your early 65 certainly seems to fit the bill.

64s/65s it is.

You won't be sorry with one of those!

Progrocker111

My former 64 SG Junior had wide and fairly fat, low tapered C-profile neck. Definitely not 60s thin kind of neck like on many later SGs or even reissues. It was one of the most resonant guitars i ever played.

K701

It's tricky asking sellers as one persons thin neck is chunky to anothers. I thought a lot of my guitars were heavy (my back said they were), never weighed them- then bought a Mustang that was weighed under 7lbs and it's similar in weight to most of my other guitars!

Are 63s still called Les Pauls?

One last question: I remember reading about a common break sight to look out for on these SGs (aside from the general Gibson headstock break areas). Where abouts shall I look? Thanks

Kris Ford

That would be the neck joint, and VERY possible to see a Les Paul Junior marked VERY early '63.

latestarter

There was no consistent profile for any of these years....just general dimensions. My 64 was like a 59, my 63 is massive like an R8 on steroids, my 65 like a wide and flat 61, my old 62 was like a mix between them all.

But the sound on each and every one was/is spectacular!

Best wishes.