• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SGs in colors other than red

fakejake

Hey all,
It has been ages since my last post here... I recently bought a wide neck '65 SG Special for a quite nice price, which sounds and plays amazing. However, the reason it was affordable is that it has been stripped and finished in a an awful sticky clear coat of some sort which I'm not too fond of. I'd like to have it refinished, and now I'm considering my options in terms of color. Since I have already two cherry red Gibsons I thought about having it done in a different color.

Anyone who has an SG in a color other than red: please post pictures!!!

So far I think both black and white look quite cool, but TV yellow is also nice. Does anyone have one in a totally different (e.g. more fenderish) color, like surf green or sherwood green?
Cheers!!! :salude

pinefd

I'm rather fond of this one:

BH4A0979_900_Black.jpg

BH4A0983_900_Black.jpg

Frank

Stratoben127

I'm a traditionalist, but the Silver Fox Brian Ray models look so cool that I have #65 being delivered tomorrow.

Kris Ford

Lets not forget WALNUT BROWN.:teeth
69GIBSONsgCUSTOM_6_.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

RAAWR!
I love Walnut Brown! When faded with a yellowed over clear coat, they can look range from almost BLACK super dark brown, to dark brown, brown brown, and a dark brownish cherry almost. I had a '69 Standard that was the color of dried blood.
Only legit for 1969 and up SGs though.

fakejake

0626161438a_zps7zvouuei.jpg
Me too!:XRE

That one is awesome Kris! Do you happen to have any more closeup shots? :yah
Since I haven't got a white guitar so far white is on top of my list. I'd need to find someone who can age and amber the lacquer properly to a vintage off white....not so easy to get this right.
The gold one looks great as well but is a bit too much for me I guess.
The walnut is pretty much what mine looks like right now. I thought about leaving it like this but whatever finish is on there (it is certainly not nitro) is sticky and pretty unevenly applied.
Sorry, but that greenburst is a no-go for me.....

Keep 'em coming please! I'd be especially curious to see white and black ones with different ammounts of wear.

Cheers!

garywright

Lets not forget WALNUT BROWN.:teeth

original.jpg

RAAWR!
I love Walnut Brown! When faded with a yellowed over clear coat, they can look range from almost BLACK super dark brown, to dark brown, brown brown, and a dark brownish cherry almost. I had a '69 Standard that was the color of dried blood.
Only legit for 1969 and up SGs though.

my first "real" guitar was a walnut SG standard ...898871 ..sure would love to find it

Kris Ford

That one is awesome Kris! Do you happen to have any more closeup shots? :yah
Since I haven't got a white guitar so far white is on top of my list. I'd need to find someone who can age and amber the lacquer properly to a vintage off white....not so easy to get this right.

Keep 'em coming please! I'd be especially curious to see white and black ones with different ammounts of wear.

Cheers!
That's not mine, that is GuitarMikey's:peace2
I do have a white SG Special, but it's just a 60's Tribute.

Actually thinking of having it refinned..I love the color, but dislike the buffed out satin...

my first "real" guitar was a walnut SG standard ...898871 ..sure would love to find it

I will keep an eye out. I look at SGs all the time.

GuitarMikey

Here are a few more pics of mine. Sorry about the lighting, it's 10pm here and this is all i have to work with. The color from the original photo I posted is more true.
She's not the cleanest one on the planet, but we get along :salude

Hope these help.

Mike

fakejake

Here are a few more pics of mine. Sorry about the lighting, it's 10pm here and this is all i have to work with. The color from the original photo I posted is more true.
She's not the cleanest one on the planet, but we get along :salude

Hope these help.

Mike

Sweet!! Thanks Mike, this one looks really special!