• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VIRGIL ARLO PICKUPS

Carlos Longordo

Hi.
Has anyone tried Virgil Arlo humbuckers?
I've read about and watched the videos with Allen Hinds, who loved them.
My guitar is a 2015 True Historic Goldtop w/ Custom Buckers.

joptunes

Let us know if you try them out. I have a set of his strat pickups and they sound great. I don't own a true vintage strat to compare it to, but it's clear, and present, and just the right amount of compression when you spank it...

curious about the humbuckers as well.....

rockabilly69

Hi.
I can't hear anything in the demo videos that I couldn't get with a custombucker.

mistersnappy

"#1 Pro Tone Secret. Vintage Tone Perfected" in the online ad that pops up on my other webpages. Now, seriously, can someone tell us what this person has figured out that the past 30+ years of custom/boutique pickup makers haven't? Single coil and humbuckers aren't rocket science.

TM1

"#1 Pro Tone Secret. Vintage Tone Perfected" in the online ad that pops up on my other webpages. Now, seriously, can someone tell us what this person has figured out that the past 30+ years of custom/boutique pickup makers haven't? Single coil and humbuckers aren't rocket science.
Try 40 years since Seymour and Larry DiMarzzio started the aftermarket pickup business.. ( boy.. Makes me feel old..)lol!
there are a number of great pickups on the market these days: Throbak, OX4, Wizz, etc. (I'm kinda partial to Throbak's..)

mistersnappy

Try 40 years since Seymour and Larry DiMarzzio started the aftermarket pickup business.. ( boy.. Makes me feel old..)lol!
there are a number of great pickups on the market these days: Throbak, OX4, Wizz, etc. (I'm kinda partial to Throbak's..)

Yeah. Wasn't sure when Seymour started mass producing. All I'm saying is I'm tired of the hype. YMMV. :salude

rob livesey

Hi.

Never tried them, no.

It seems there are so many to choose from these days!

Many get great reviews too.

It's got to the point where I don't really care that much who made them, so long as they do what I want.

My only epiphany regarding humbuckers lately is that I think I'm an Alnico IV guy.

II's have no, err, umph.

III's are nice, but polite. Too easy to squish under attack.

V's too strident and aggressive with a lot of bite.

IV is where it's at for me. Bold, great mids, articulate.....anyway. I think I could get to where I wanted to be with most of the aftermarket pickups by just magnet swaps, so long as the wind was in the ballpark.

Rob.

TM1

Never tried them, no.

It seems there are so many to choose from these days!

Many get great reviews too.

It's got to the point where I don't really care that much who made them, so long as they do what I want.

My only epiphany regarding humbuckers lately is that I think I'm an Alnico IV guy.

II's have no, err, umph.

III's are nice, but polite. Too easy to squish under attack.

V's too strident and aggressive with a lot of bite.

IV is where it's at for me. Bold, great mids, articulate.....anyway. I think I could get to where I wanted to be with most of the aftermarket pickups by just magnet swaps, so long as the wind was in the ballpark.

Rob.

Rob; I'm right there with you! I think I have U.S. made A-IV's in most of my pickups. I have about six old late Sixties T-Tops that have A-IV's in them. They really make them into a great sounding pickup. T-Tops used either A II's or A-V's that were either too weak or too hot. I've found that the A-IV's balance everything out.

TM1

BTW, I have no idea what's actually in my 3 PAF's as far as magnets..

Thomas Tone

I got a set of Virgil Arlo PAF’s. IMO they are great. Very articulate but also really warm at the same time. Not sure what he does to them but they sound as good as some of the originals that I heard. Make me wonder what type of magnets he uses?

Carlos Longordo

When I watched the video with Leo Amuedo demonstrated the pickups, as well as excellent sound, something he said caught my attention about the first string (1st e), which has the same volume as the second (B).
In all guitars equipped with humbuckers I played, since 1977, the first string has a thinner tone than the others.
I know Leo personally and he said the tone is very balanced anywhere on the neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isXv4fHwUgo