• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gustavsson Bluesmaster "Model 1" variation

sidekick

Took delivery nearly a month ago of a new build that I requested of Johan early last year ... As age-related 'wear and tear' infirmity moves on, my request to him was for a lighter-weight semi-hollow modern version of his original slab solid-bodied early 90's Bluesmaster "Model 1" guitar, (my requesting also a fore-arm top contour and rear belly cut) ... Being already familiar with Johan's later and current set-neck Bluesmaster Custom models, I particularly wanted to experience a JG modelled on what Johan was building before his name and skills became more widely known and highly regarded in the USA guitar community from (circa) 2004 onwards ... The end result, is this mahogany body/mahogany bolt-on neck guitar with a 12" radiused CITES certified Brazilian 'board, 4/2 headstock, 25 1/5" scale length, ThroBak humbucker 'PAF' pickups and S style configured controls ... It weighs 7 lbs 7 ounces ... Personally prefer this S style switching placement & control configuration rather than LP style switching/controls, (although being that this is the LPF, YMMV) ... :spabout That it also has a quality rock-solid trem, arguably, this guitar is a more versatile-playing 'Blues-master' guitar than his later '59 Bluesmaster Customs ... Either way, though, it's good that our guitar-related experiences can and do, vary ... and I started this thread simply to share this with you guys ... Also, because I know a few of the members here own and highly regard their JG's ... who always like to view Johan's work ... :)

Also asked for stainless steel frets and pearl JG logo, (instead of a JG 'transfer' logo) and lightweight lathe-turned aluminium knobs made by one of Johan's friends who is a fly reel maker ... and while all an up-charge, I consider all worthwhile to me as the custodial 'end-user' ... Especially the SS frets, which should spare it a visit to any guitar repair shop for a good few years ...

Once he had finished all his pre-work from scratch and assembled it, Johan told me he was mightily impressed, now thinking he even might perhaps build a few more. You can see what he said in the 'drop-down' comments section on his facebook page when he posted pictures of it last month ...

https://www.facebook.com/jgguitars/

Regarding what he said, now the guitar is with me, this guitar indeed has it's own and great resonance, with much and varied tonal variation, insofar it truly being the 'sum of the build and parts' ... and that it is now being enjoyed daily, who am I to differ?

DSC00971_zpsvgsm6vpn.jpg

DSC00970_zpsum6pxomc.jpg

Allenjason

Les Paul Froum Member
Th
Took delivery nearly a month ago of a new build that I requested of Johan early last year ... As age-related 'wear and tear' infirmity moves on, my request to him was for a lighter-weight semi-hollow modern version of his original slab solid-bodied early 90's Bluesmaster "Model 1" guitar, (my requesting also a fore-arm top contour and rear belly cut) ... Being already familiar with Johan's later and current set-neck Bluesmaster Custom models, I particularly wanted to experience a JG modelled on what Johan was building before his name and skills became more widely known and highly regarded in the USA guitar community from (circa) 2004 onwards ... The end result, is this mahogany body/mahogany bolt-on neck guitar with a 12" radiused CITES certified Brazilian 'board, 4/2 headstock, 25 1/5" scale length, ThroBak humbucker 'PAF' pickups and S style configured controls ... It weighs 7 lbs 7 ounces ... Personally prefer this S style switching placement & control configuration rather than LP style switching/controls, (although being that this is the LPF, YMMV) ... :spabout That it also has a quality rock-solid trem, arguably, this guitar is a more versatile-playing 'Blues-master' guitar than his later '59 Bluesmaster Customs ... Either way, though, it's good that our guitar-related experiences can and do, vary ... and I started this thread simply to share this with you guys ... Also, because I know a few of the members here own and highly regard their JG's ... who always like to view Johan's work ... :)

Also asked for stainless steel frets and pearl JG logo, (instead of a JG 'transfer' logo) and lightweight lathe-turned aluminium knobs made by one of Johan's friends who is a fly reel maker ... and while all an up-charge, I consider all worthwhile to me as the custodial 'end-user' ... Especially the SS frets, which should spare it a visit to any guitar repair shop for a good few years ...

Once he had finished all his pre-work from scratch and assembled it, Johan told me he was mightily impressed, now thinking he even might perhaps build a few more. You can see what he said in the 'drop-down' comments section on his facebook page when he posted pictures of it last month ...

https://www.facebook.com/jgguitars/

Regarding what he said, now the guitar is with me, this guitar indeed has it's own and great resonance, with much and varied tonal variation, insofar it truly being the 'sum of the build and parts' ... and that it is now being enjoyed daily, who am I to differ?

DSC00971_zpsvgsm6vpn.jpg

DSC00970_zpsum6pxomc.jpg

That's a sharp guitar.

sidekick

Thanks for the complimentary remarks ... Thought I'd add a couple of indoor pics in natural light, where particularly the first pic shows better the actual colour 'to the eye'.

The forearm contour and belly cut, while neither are extreme, really makes for more player comfort over the original slab=bodied model.

DSC00977_zpshbkfocnf.jpg

a68a0291-9fdd-42d2-9340-8a4bc062633f_zpsm99269fe.jpg

57gold

A classic beauty! In spite of its newness.

Another example of JG's ability to design and execute an new design that borrows the best elements from others and looks as if were a model that was made in the 1960s.