• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tribute Bands

talonmm

Went to the Paramount - a small to mid size venue on Long Island NY over the weekend and saw a Motley Crue and & Guns n Roses tribute bands. It got me thinking....

anyone here now or ever in a tribute band?

If the individual members of the tribute band look like the members in the real band, do you the musicians in the tribute group truly idolize their original counterpart, or do you think they see it as just an opportunity to be part of a band and it's more like being an actor in a play?

Would love to hear some experiences and what it's like to be in a tribute band and all the work that goes into this.

S. Cane

I've always been in cover/authoral bands, never in a tribute, but I got many friends who do play that way.

It is quite funny if you really like the band you tribute, because you're gonna have to play virtually all their songs and incorporate their style. Besides, people won't attend your gigs to see you improvise or create much. They want to see you play the songs they like the way they like them, just like the original artist does them.

I don't see it having anything to do with acting, I think it's more like adhering to a particular musical lifestyle. You can be yourself and yet tribute a band you really love, not because you want to be them, but because you're pretty much like them.

Like I said: if you like the artist, it's a VERY cool project to do.

talonmm

I've always been in cover/authoral bands, never in a tribute, but I got many friends who do play that way.

It is quite funny if you really like the band you tribute, because you're gonna have to play virtually all their songs and incorporate their style. Besides, people won't attend your gigs to see you improvise or create much. They want to see you play the songs they like the way they like them, just like the original artist does them.

I don't see it having anything to do with acting, I think it's more like adhering to a particular musical lifestyle. You can be yourself and yet tribute a band you really love, not because you want to be them, but because you're pretty much like them.

Like I said: if you like the artist, it's a VERY cool project to do.

It was hard for me to put together my thoughts coherently... I really did not mean "acting" but like you said, you really are not able to improvise or change things up. Additionally, you are under pressure to look as close as possible to the band member you are representing.

I wonder sometimes if someone joins a tribute band because they look the part, or perhaps the role they choose was available, yet they are not a diehard fan of the group.

brandtkronholm

I was a big fan of the Zeppelin tribute band "Physical Graffiti" in the late 80s and early 90s. They were great - better than great. They had the sound AND the look. Musically, they They could stretch out a tiny bit within the very large catalogue of Zeppelin material. They would perform either the studio or the live versions of songs as they saw fit. Stairway and The Song Remains The Same were performed live making use of the ES1275. Whole Lotta Love could be done after the studio or live with a short medley. They were great. I never understood Immigrant Song until I saw them open a show with it.

My sister brought up an interesting notion of tribute bands, or possibly folk/popular music in general: The recorded sound is the reference and not the sheet music.

The Fab Faux fits in to this discussion nicely, especially as artists doing a project. They perform the Beatles as recorded. Do not miss an opportunity to see the Fab Faux. I'd even suggest that you go out of your way and travel to see them. It will be worth it. I saw them do Abbey Road - as recorded. Whoa. Strings, brass and everything.

Michael Patrick

I'm in a Motorhead tribute band. We don't play all that often, but it's a blast when we do. Loud and proud!! :dude:

NoClassAction.jpg

S. Cane

Just curious. Is that a regular SSS strat or is there a mini humbucker thrown in?

Cool pic btw

guitplayer

Done a few gigs with SRA. But with just Jimmy Farrar singing.
And doing other bands in addition to Hatchett, I guess it was kinda a tribute band. :salude

Michael Patrick

Just curious. Is that a regular SSS strat or is there a mini humbucker thrown in?

Cool pic btw

No, just the stock single coil. I know Fast Eddie had a humbucker in the bridge, but I didn't want to hack up one of my Strats. I use a pedal to slam the amp harder to make up for the lack of a humbucker.

I use a Les Paul for the Phil Campbell-era tunes...

NoClassMickeysLesPaul.jpg

Last edited:

Blue97FXSTC

I was in a Skynyrd tribute band from 1989 to 1994.
Three guitars, bass, drums, keys, lead singer, two chicks backup, FOH + two additional crew.

We didn't try to look like the original band (it's not like they had a look, really).
Certainly we were all fans of the music, some more so than others.
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I idolized Skynyrd, but their songs and guitar parts were definitely part of my early musical influences.

Our band took the time to learn the songs note-for-note, and performed them as per the One From The Road album, mostly.
The guitarists didn't each cop one player's parts on all tunes, but instead split the work for each song as we saw fit.

The best parts:
A built in audience - I can't think of one show where we didn't kill.
The money was great, and we played some great rooms and festivals.
The worst part - no improv (much like Skynyrd, actually).

We played all over NE Ohio, Western PA, and Western NY.
Most fun show - we headlined the Music Alley Festival (St Petersburg, PA) in 1991 in front of 10,000 people.

That was a big time for tribute bands, and there were several great ones on that circuit.
It seemed like a new one popped up every week.
Wish You Were Here (Floyd) and Zoso (Zep) are two that I can recall, and WYWH are STILL together and performing!

We had so much fun, and although it was a long time ago, those band-mates have become life-long friends.
I couldn't imagine doing it again now, but as a young man it was awesome.

Here's a crappy picture from 1992 at our rehearsal hall in Cleveland, OH.

SS.jpg

That room was so cold in the winter you had to keep the beer in the fridge to keep it from freezing!

Last edited:

S. Cane

No, just the stock single coil. I know Fast Eddie had a humbucker in the bridge, but I didn't want to hack up one of my Strats. I use a pedal to slam the amp harder to make up for the lack of a humbucker.

I use a Les Paul for the Phil Campbell-era tunes...

NoClassMickeysLesPaul.jpg

You're just like me, partner. Strats should be SSS.

mingus

Interesting topic.

I was recruited to play in a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers tribute 6 years ago to play the Mike Campbell stuff. At first, the concept of being in a tribute act seemed kind of odd, but I was convinced to do it and I am really glad I took the plunge. Today, my band, The Pettybreakers http://pettybreakers.com, is busy playing nice venues and making decent money. (put "Pettybreakers" into the search bar on YouTube and you'll get many pages of live performances)

It's not easy to learn and play the songs note-for-note and we've chosen to have everyone stick to their part and "make it sound like the record". We also take the time to make sure we have the tones dialed in as close as possible. My bandmates all have great ears. Yes, it is an acting role to some extent and we do make the attempt to at least resemble the look and/or style of the members of the real band. This IS show business after all and the talent buyers and promoters expect a certain level of execution in terms of musicianship, appearance and showmanship. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to play notable venues with bandmates who are not only outstanding musicians, but also great guys who are easy and fun to be around while out on the road. Luckily, everyone's ego remains in check and we have no drama, no substance issues, no emotional baggage or other behavior that typically plagues rock bands. Everyone is professional, shows up early, sober and is always prepared.

Also, as luck would have it, I already owned much of the vintage gear necessary for the part. The "Tom Petty" in the group and I are the founding members and it's taken a while to get the right guys, but we've been with the current lineup for nearly 3 years and it continues to be a great ride. I was formerly in a busy, local band playing 4-hour gigs in crappy bars/clubs. That experience allowed lots of room for improvisation, but I'll take playing better venues with better players, making a lot more money and never playing more than 120 minutes every time, even if it means I have to stick to the script. There are some songs here and there where some of us can take some liberties, but it's got to be within the style of the real band and relatively short. The audience isn't there to hear us improvise. They're there to hear the songs the way they always have.

Judging by the size of the crowds top-tier tribute bands are able to draw, it appears that the public is very accepting of the concept. Some bands are no longer performing live for various reasons and those that do have expensive tickets and don't come around all that often. Tributes are a way for fans to have a live music experience of material they already know and love at a more reasonable price and at a location that's usually more convenient.

For me, it's been a blast and I savor the experience, knowing it could all end at any time for a number of reasons. In the meantime, I'm thankful for my role as an "accidental mockstar"! :salude

talonmm

Interesting topic.

I was recruited to play in a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers tribute 6 years ago to play the Mike Campbell stuff. At first, the concept of being in a tribute act seemed kind of odd, but I was convinced to do it and I am really glad I took the plunge. Today, my band, The Pettybreakers http://pettybreakers.com, is busy playing nice venues and making decent money. (put "Pettybreakers" into the search bar on YouTube and you'll get many pages of live performances)

It's not easy to learn and play the songs note-for-note and we've chosen to have everyone stick to their part and "make it sound like the record". We also take the time to make sure we have the tones dialed in as close as possible. My bandmates all have great ears. Yes, it is an acting role to some extent and we do make the attempt to at least resemble the look and/or style of the members of the real band. This IS show business after all and the talent buyers and promoters expect a certain level of execution in terms of musicianship, appearance and showmanship. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to play notable venues with bandmates who are not only outstanding musicians, but also great guys who are easy and fun to be around while out on the road. Luckily, everyone's ego remains in check and we have no drama, no substance issues, no emotional baggage or other behavior that typically plagues rock bands. Everyone is professional, shows up early, sober and is always prepared.

Also, as luck would have it, I already owned much of the vintage gear necessary for the part. The "Tom Petty" in the group and I are the founding members and it's taken a while to get the right guys, but we've been with the current lineup for nearly 3 years and it continues to be a great ride. I was formerly in a busy, local band playing 4-hour gigs in crappy bars/clubs. That experience allowed lots of room for improvisation, but I'll take playing better venues with better players, making a lot more money and never playing more than 120 minutes every time, even if it means I have to stick to the script. There are some songs here and there where some of us can take some liberties, but it's got to be within the style of the real band and relatively short. The audience isn't there to hear us improvise. They're there to hear the songs the way they always have.

Judging by the size of the crowds top-tier tribute bands are able to draw, it appears that the public is very accepting of the concept. Some bands are no longer performing live for various reasons and those that do have expensive tickets and don't come around all that often. Tributes are a way for fans to have a live music experience of material they already know and love at a more reasonable price and at a location that's usually more convenient.

For me, it's been a blast and I savor the experience, knowing it could all end at any time for a number of reasons. In the meantime, I'm thankful for my role as an "accidental mockstar"! :salude

Wow, hope you come to Huntington Long Island and Play the Paramount! Sounds like a great night!

CLAYPOOL

It's like being in a play. Learn the part, live the part, become the part.
Money's is probably the best you can get but you really have to be a certain kind of player...original and improv just doesn't exist in that world.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
If you can keep sane while doing it, it's probably a great way to increase your chops. I would imagine the guy who plays guitar in Japan's "Mr. Jimmy" Zeppelin cover band would be great on sessions for any producer who wants some roaring lead guitar, for example.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
At the risk of committing the high Internet crime of necroposting, I'm reviving this thread because last night at the Granbury (TX) Theatre, I saw "Liverpool Legends," a Beatles tribute band put together in the early 2000s by Louise Harrison, George Harrison's Illinois-based older sister. (The faux-George was originally a trader on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade before being tapped to step into the quiet one's Beatle boots.)

The band has a regular stint in Branson, MO when not touring and playing Beatles conventions. While they added contemporary references (there was at one point a joke about a Billy Ray Cyrus song), they had the Beatles' thick Liverpudlian accents down cold; the closest they came to breaking character was when the audience laughed at a joke that "George" told while dressed up in White Album-era togs, he replied "Don't make me laugh too hard -- it'll make me mustache come off!" It must be very difficult to stay in character -- down to the accent -- for a whole gig, particularly when the inevitable disasters such a string breaking or an amp dying occur.

Here's a photo of the lads dressed up in the Beatles' Shea Stadium rigs. Pardon the lack of detail; I was in the rafters and only had my iPad.

i-FchXdmV-L.jpg

Last edited:

c_wester

I do understand the need to learn songs.
But I also dont think you should f*ck the neighbour's wife or paint his paintings.

Make your own music.