The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 121 to 160 of 255
  1. #121
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Where are they now...

    He drove all the way there with Cars.

  2. #122
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    970

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    No.

    Guess again.
    Randy Leonard ? or Elliot Easton (in 1980?)

  3. #123
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Randy Leonard ? or Elliot Easton (in 1980?)
    YES!!

    Yours truly with EE.

    That pic was made when the Artist Relations office
    was upstairs at the Nashville plant.

  4. #124
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    970

    Re: Where are they now...

    Renderit gave me the clue. It is funny to me because i seen the Cars live probably around the time of that photo

  5. #125
    Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wixom MI
    Posts
    3,961

    Re: Where are they now...

    Aww shucks, I nailed it before that!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

  6. #126
    Les Paul Forum Member tangerine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in the back of beyonds
    Posts
    225

    Re: Where are they now...

    Serendipity from the original post! 10th Dec 1985 was my 15th birthday, the very day I got my first electric guitar!! Alas a Gibson was out of my parents budget at the time, so it was a Westone instead.

    I've enjoyed this thread immensely, many thanks for sharing Strings Jr.

    Were you involved in any of the thinlines? The 81-85 335's were fantastic guitars, plenty of them built in Nashville. It seems like an interesting time, with the handover from Kalamazoo.

    Cheers!

  7. #127
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    Serendipity from the original post! 10th Dec 1985 was my 15th birthday, the very day I got my first electric guitar!! Alas a Gibson was out of my parents budget at the time, so it was a Westone instead.

    I've enjoyed this thread immensely, many thanks for sharing Strings Jr.

    Were you involved in any of the thinlines? The 81-85 335's were fantastic guitars, plenty of them built in Nashville. It seems like an interesting time, with the handover from Kalamazoo.

    Cheers!
    Thanks!

    I built hundreds of the 80's 335's. Beginning with the prototypes.
    There were also 347's, Lucilles, ES Artist, ES Pro, pretty much the entire ES line-up.

    It was a very interesting time. Especially when Tim Shaw, Jim Hutchins, and the rest
    of the Kalamazoo guys came down. It was an honor for me to have built several
    instruments with Kalamazoo serial numbers. I noticed in my ledger where I
    built a 1978 Kalamazoo Super 400 in 1985.

  8. #128
    Les Paul Forum Member tangerine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in the back of beyonds
    Posts
    225

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    Thanks!

    I built hundreds of the 80's 335's. Beginning with the prototypes.
    There were also 347's, Lucilles, ES Artist, ES Pro, pretty much the entire ES line-up.

    It was a very interesting time. Especially when Tim Shaw, Jim Hutchins, and the rest
    of the Kalamazoo guys came down. It was an honor for me to have built several
    instruments with Kalamazoo serial numbers. I noticed in my ledger where I
    built a 1978 Kalamazoo Super 400 in 1985.

    Interesting about the Super 400! 6-7yrs after getting its Kalamazoo serial! I guess the fancier archtops could sit around for a while in any case as well as the factory change at the time. Cool!

    I have a '90 347 which is interesting as it is stamped for promotional use only, refined black when I got it, 92000332, and also one of those 81-85 335 reissues from Nashville, a blondie, great guitar, an '84, 81164539

    It's a bit bold of me to post the serials I know
    , I thought twice before I did, but just in case you're enjoying looking at your log books anyway hehe. One thing I'd be interested to know, do you remember if promotional or artist guitars were 'seconds' or not - as officially I believe there was no such thing as a second after Norlin?

  9. #129

    Re: Where are they now...

    I have a prototype 1979 Gibson ES Artist in Cherry Sunburst finish. Would you have any info or recollection of that?

  10. #130
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    182

    Re: Where are they now...

    Hi. I've got a lovely all black/nickel hardware '84 335. Has the Tim Shaw humbuckers with the gold "pat. appd. for" stickers on the top edge. 80834553 - was that one of yours?

    Bought it secondhand in early 90's. I played lots of them in a vintage dealers shop, from late 60's ones onwards and this had something special about it's tone and feel.

  11. #131
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by treeofpain View Post
    I have a prototype 1979 Gibson ES Artist in Cherry Sunburst finish. Would you have any info or recollection of that?
    That would be a Kalamazoo made guitar.

    We didn't see any ES models until the early 80's.

    Sounds like a nice one. I don't recall ever seeing an ES Artist in Cherry Sunburst.

  12. #132
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by springhead View Post
    Hi. I've got a lovely all black/nickel hardware '84 335. Has the Tim Shaw humbuckers with the gold "pat. appd. for" stickers on the top edge. 80834553 - was that one of yours?

    Bought it secondhand in early 90's. I played lots of them in a vintage dealers shop, from late 60's ones onwards and this had something special about it's tone and feel.
    Sorry, I didn't see that one in my records.

    And yes, you would think that guitars made with the same materials,
    on the same equipment, etc. would be the same.
    But I can assure you that every day there would be that one
    that had a unique sound and / or feel that was hard to let go of.

  13. #133
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    I built this one on August 1st, 1985. It's a Spirit II XPL.

    Sporting a gold Supertune and special pickups from Mr. Shaw,
    this was a SWEET sounding guitar.

    Sent this one to Chris Hayes, guitarist for Huey Lewis.

    Anyone out there own one of these?



    [IMG][/IMG]

  14. #134

    Re: Where are they now...

    I'm interested in the RD Custom that appears in many of your photos. Any story about the RD series? Did you work on them?

    Appreciate any information.

    Perry

  15. #135

    Re: Where are they now...

    Did you do any work on the pre-historic lp's? Any records on 6 0710 ??

    love that this thread just keeps unravelling!

  16. #136
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Underwood View Post
    I'm interested in the RD Custom that appears in many of your photos. Any story about the RD series? Did you work on them?

    Appreciate any information.

    Perry
    Hello Perry, All of the RD guitars and basses were made in Kalamazoo.
    So, no, I didn't get the opportunity to work on any of them.

    The RD in these photos came to Nashville with the rest of the leftover
    stuff when Kalamazoo closed. We got killer deals on some very cool instruments.

    Since you like RD's, here's a "leftover" that my Dad bought.
    An RD with a Firebird neck.
    It sounds amazing.




    [IMG][/IMG]

  17. #137
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by zacknorton View Post
    Did you do any work on the pre-historic lp's? Any records on 6 0710 ??

    love that this thread just keeps unravelling!
    I built lots of the pre-historics. 59/80's, Leo Specials, Jubilee Specials, and many others.
    Yours was known internally as a Special #130. My last record for one of those is 6 0605,
    built on November 26th, 1986. Yours was probably built in '87 or '88 after I moved on
    to carved tops.

    Congrats on a great guitar!! I'd love to see a pic.

  18. #138

    Re: Where are they now...

    Thanks for this awesome thread!

  19. #139

    Re: Where are they now...

    Thanks again for the info and photo. I know some later RD's got the Victory headstock, but your father's is the first one I've see with a Firebird neck. Great thread.

    Perry

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    Hello Perry, All of the RD guitars and basses were made in Kalamazoo.
    So, no, I didn't get the opportunity to work on any of them.

    The RD in these photos came to Nashville with the rest of the leftover
    stuff when Kalamazoo closed. We got killer deals on some very cool instruments.

    Since you like RD's, here's a "leftover" that my Dad bought.
    An RD with a Firebird neck.
    It sounds amazing.




    [IMG][/IMG]

  20. #140
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I'm at MY HOUSE!!!!!
    Posts
    899

    Re: Where are they now...

    Great thread!!!!

    What can you tell me about this pre historic:

    I ordered it from Gibson from a shop in Tacoma Wa in 1985.

    The color was heritage cherry sunburst with an upcharge in price.

    Said standard on trus rod cover, ink stamped ser no 5 xxxx I wish
    I knew the rest of the number.

    Had a chain saw case and the little paf stickers on the pu rings.

    Had a un matched quilted maple 2 piece top, made you say
    wow when you opened the case.

    Here is the only crappy pic of it I have.

    Jimmy

    ​It will be mine......oh yes, it will be mine.

  21. #141
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by jbzoso2002 View Post
    Great thread!!!!

    What can you tell me about this pre historic:

    I ordered it from Gibson from a shop in Tacoma Wa in 1985.

    The color was heritage cherry sunburst with an upcharge in price.

    Said standard on trus rod cover, ink stamped ser no 5 xxxx I wish
    I knew the rest of the number.

    Had a chain saw case and the little paf stickers on the pu rings.

    Had a un matched quilted maple 2 piece top, made you say
    wow when you opened the case.

    Here is the only crappy pic of it I have.

    Jimmy
    When you placed the order, did you order a Standard or a Re-issue?
    With the quilt top and inked serial number, it most likely started life
    as a re-issue. Does it have thin binding in the cutaway?

    Sometimes if something happened after finishing that would prevent
    one from being sold as a re-issue, it would be downgraded to a Standard.
    Since yours has a Standard TRC and gold speed knobs, I would think
    that would be the case.

    Nice guitar! Congrats

  22. #142

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    ...
    Sometimes if something happened after finishing that would prevent
    one from being sold as a re-issue, it would be downgraded to a Standard.
    ...
    So, re-issue build but sold as a Standard? Sounds like a great deal!

    How often would a "deluxe" model be downgraded to "not-deluxe" happen? Was this the regular practice?

  23. #143
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    So, re-issue build but sold as a Standard? Sounds like a great deal!

    How often would a "deluxe" model be downgraded to "not-deluxe" happen? Was this the regular practice?
    It was rare for that to happen. There wasn't a lot of scenarios that would allow it.
    For example, you couldn't downgrade a Custom to something else. I've seen a few
    re-issues that accidentally got drilled for the wrong machine heads or the
    wrong bridge. Couldn't be sold as a re-issue at that point, but would make
    a very nice Standard. Same for a LP Pro. If it got drilled for the wrong
    machine heads, someone would end up with a Deluxe with an ebony
    fingerboard.

    Yes, it was regular practice as long as it meant a "bonus" for the customer.
    If there was a mistake that would not work, it was off to the band saw.

  24. #144
    Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I'm at MY HOUSE!!!!!
    Posts
    899

    Re: Where are they now...

    The best I can remember the difference was cherry sunburst or heritage
    cherry sunburst, I thought the word heritage would be a more vintage type
    color and thats it.

    I was very surprised to see it had a center seam flame top!!

    I paid over $1600 for it, probably list price, only thing I changed was
    a blank truss rod cover.

    I also remember some blemishes around the inlays on the frettboard.

    And I still feel like an idiot for selling it about a year later.

    Jimmy



    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    When you placed the order, did you order a Standard or a Re-issue?
    With the quilt top and inked serial number, it most likely started life
    as a re-issue. Does it have thin binding in the cutaway?

    Sometimes if something happened after finishing that would prevent
    one from being sold as a re-issue, it would be downgraded to a Standard.
    Since yours has a Standard TRC and gold speed knobs, I would think
    that would be the case.

    Nice guitar! Congrats
    ​It will be mine......oh yes, it will be mine.

  25. #145

    Re: Where are they now...

    Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!
    I'm working on getting some pics posted. Don't seem to be able to do it from the phone.

    Happy t-givin' people!

  26. #146

    Re: Where are they now...

    Here's the ES Artist Prototype from 1979:



    Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

  27. #147

    Re: Where are they now...

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/145181.../shares/v0L0zz
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/145181.../shares/41K071

    Whoa! that's a crazy guitar!!! these pics are gonna seem tame compared to that. But here they are. pics of 6 0710 which is a pre historic '59 reissue. on the dark side of HCB… with flames that go from big triangles to fiddle squiggles in the light. hope flicker works.

  28. #148
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    I built lots of the pre-historics. 59/80's, Leo Specials, Jubilee Specials, and many others.
    Yours was known internally as a Special #130. My last record for one of those is 6 0605,
    built on November 26th, 1986. Yours was probably built in '87 or '88 after I moved on
    to carved tops.

    Congrats on a great guitar!! I'd love to see a pic.
    Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing

  29. #149

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    It was rare for that to happen. There wasn't a lot of scenarios that would allow it.
    For example, you couldn't downgrade a Custom to something else. I've seen a few
    re-issues that accidentally got drilled for the wrong machine heads or the
    wrong bridge. Couldn't be sold as a re-issue at that point, but would make
    a very nice Standard. Same for a LP Pro. If it got drilled for the wrong
    machine heads, someone would end up with a Deluxe with an ebony
    fingerboard.

    Yes, it was regular practice as long as it meant a "bonus" for the customer.
    If there was a mistake that would not work, it was off to the band saw.
    Neat-O! Thanks!

  30. #150
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    There were lots of beautiful Spotlights made.

    But this one ranks in the Top 5 Best I Ever Saw league.

    I have a pic of me holding it right after I built it, but these
    are much better quality. I saw it for sale on-line in 2013.

    They even included a pic of the control cavity with
    my initials and date I built it.

    Where is she now?


    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]


    Here's the entry in my ledger.


    [IMG][/IMG]

  31. #151
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    3,947

    Re: Where are they now...

    Do you know who owned that Spotlight Special before it went on the block in 2013? It looks like it must have been pretty well played, based on the paint worn away. (It looks like it was never drilled for a pickguard, but there's a reason why that device earned its name!)

  32. #152
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Do you know who owned that Spotlight Special before it went on the block in 2013? It looks like it must have been pretty well played, based on the paint worn away. (It looks like it was never drilled for a pickguard, but there's a reason why that device earned its name!)
    I only remember that it was being sold through a
    music store, but I can't remember where.

    No question it has been well played. I remember
    seeing pics of the frets also. They were well worn.

    It would be a crime to put a pickguard on that top.

  33. #153
    Les Paul Forum Member tangerine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in the back of beyonds
    Posts
    225

    Re: Where are they now...

    I'm loving this thread Strings Jr., please keep it going!

    Regarding the SWEET sounding Spirit II XPL that went to Chris Hayes, it seems a prototype for that guitar was sold in 2010 on eBay but no mention of this one

    According to the wiki..

    'On April 18, 2010, a blue prototype Spirit II (double-humbucker) XPL originally sold to Chris Hayes of Huey Lewis's News fame was sold on eBay. The auction included the original Gibson invoice with Hayes's name and shipping address, as well as a letter of appraisal from vintage guitar expert George Gruhn. The guitar's humbuckers had been changed to rail types, and the tremolo system was a floating Kahler style that used standard Gibson adjustable bridge posts, rather than the production Flyer tremolo that mounts to the body with a trim ring. A coil-tap switch had also been added amongst the guitar's standard controls. The guitar's serial number identified it as a very early 1985 model, and included an "Original Gibson Prototype" stamp screened on the back of the headstock.'

    edit: aha, here is the very guitar, sold on this thread for 3k in 2011 by the second owner, a friend of Chris Hayes and amp guy at Two-Rock, he sold the blue proto too

    http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/f...p?topic=5603.0
    Last edited by tangerine; 12-04-16 at 03:32 PM.

  34. #154
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    I'm loving this thread Strings Jr., please keep it going!

    Regarding the SWEET sounding Spirit II XPL that went to Chris Hayes, it seems a prototype for that guitar was sold in 2010 on eBay but no mention of this one

    According to the wiki..

    'On April 18, 2010, a blue prototype Spirit II (double-humbucker) XPL originally sold to Chris Hayes of Huey Lewis's News fame was sold on eBay. The auction included the original Gibson invoice with Hayes's name and shipping address, as well as a letter of appraisal from vintage guitar expert George Gruhn. The guitar's humbuckers had been changed to rail types, and the tremolo system was a floating Kahler style that used standard Gibson adjustable bridge posts, rather than the production Flyer tremolo that mounts to the body with a trim ring. A coil-tap switch had also been added amongst the guitar's standard controls. The guitar's serial number identified it as a very early 1985 model, and included an "Original Gibson Prototype" stamp screened on the back of the headstock.'

    edit: aha, here is the very guitar, sold on this thread for 3k in 2011 by the second owner, a friend of Chris Hayes and amp guy at Two-Rock, he sold the blue proto too

    http://www.hueylewisandthenews.com/f...p?topic=5603.0

    Thanks Tangerine! Lots of fun for me, especially when the question
    of "Where Are They Now" gets answered.

    I actually have serial numbers for two of the blue Spirits with Chris'
    name beside it. Whether both were actually shipped to him, I can't say.

    That's a pretty cool pic on your link. Chris' signature in the rear pickup
    pocket, and my initials and year in the tremolo pocket!!

  35. #155
    Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    936

    Re: Where are they now...

    Speaking of '83 Spotlights, just saw your 83 081 on Reverb...


    Music is the BEST!

  36. #156
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by bizzwriter View Post
    Speaking of '83 Spotlights, just saw your 83 081 on Reverb...

    This is 83 085, not one of mine.
    Looks like it's had a rough life.

    However, the other two that are currently for sale
    on Reverb, are mine. 83 016 and 83 151.

  37. #157
    Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Left coast
    Posts
    936

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    This is 83 085, not one of mine.
    Looks like it's had a rough life.

    However, the other two that are currently for sale
    on Reverb, are mine. 83 016 and 83 151.
    Ah ha -- right you are. Hard to pick out that last digit with the glare.
    Music is the BEST!

  38. #158
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Anyone have a factory 3 pickup Standard?
    I only saw a handful, most of which were mistakes.

    Where are they now?


    [IMG][/IMG]

  39. #159

    Re: Where are they now...

    Great read Strings Jr,
    Any pics of some big body arch guitars you created back then ~

    Thanks in advance,
    C

  40. #160
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    274

    Re: Where are they now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbound Dot Neck View Post
    Great read Strings Jr,
    Any pics of some big body arch guitars you created back then ~

    Thanks in advance,
    C
    How about these?


    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!